How Do I Make The Stripes On This One?

Decorating By victorianne_sweets Updated 28 Jun 2007 , 3:06pm by victorianne_sweets

victorianne_sweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
victorianne_sweets Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 8:52pm
post #1 of 11

I was asked to do a small wedding cake for week after next (7/7/07), and need to make this one. I thought it looked like fondant(?), and think I can do the top 2 layers. Was thinking about 5", 8", and 10 or 12" squares. Not sure how to do the stripes on the bottom layer, though.

I have taken Wilton 1-3, but not fondant & gumpaste--yet!! (Still saving my $$) icon_smile.gif

Thank you all so much for any suggestions or advice.

Jodi
LL

10 replies
miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 9:09pm
post #2 of 11

It looks like the bottom layer has even surface so that rules out green fondant strips being placed on top of a white fondant covered cake (or white strips on top of green cake).

With the way the stripes look (not even, very wavy), I think strips of white and green fondant were made, placed side by side with alternating colors, and rolled as one piece before putting on the cake. That will create the uneven, wavy strips like on the picture.

The white strip on the top tier and the white circles on the middle tier look like they were put on after covering the cakes with green fondant.

Audraj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Audraj Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 9:45pm
post #3 of 11

Because the white stripes are all wavy, I would say it is buttercream (or royal) piped onto fondant.

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 9:57pm
post #4 of 11

my guess is buttercream with green stripes and smoothed because of the way the squares of green are on top of the cake as well as the lines on the sides. I would say the top two tiers have fondant accents.

JMO

judi

vrmcc1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vrmcc1 Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 11:12pm
post #5 of 11

I agree with miriel. I think the entire thing is fondant and the bottom is done like she said.

Val

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 11:15pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by miriel

It looks like the bottom layer has even surface so that rules out green fondant strips being placed on top of a white fondant covered cake (or white strips on top of green cake).

With the way the stripes look (not even, very wavy), I think strips of white and green fondant were made, placed side by side with alternating colors, and rolled as one piece before putting on the cake. That will create the uneven, wavy strips like on the picture.

The white strip on the top tier and the white circles on the middle tier look like they were put on after covering the cakes with green fondant.

I don't think that is possible given the way the stripes are - if it were placed on in one piece, I'd think the stripes would be contiuous and not show up in a square around the cake. Just my 2 cents.

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 11:22pm
post #7 of 11

My guess would be that they just painted the green stripes on. Probably just the coloring with lemon extract.............just my guess............Lol

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 11:33pm
post #8 of 11

I agree that the stripes can't be fondant that was pieced together before putting on the cake. When the fondant was draped from the top onto the sides, the lines would not have ended up nice and square at the corners. I am leaning toward the painted stripe hypothesis.

Another possibility is that the pieces were rolled out like Miriel said, but the top was done as a square design and the sides were done as a separate long strip, which was wrapped around the cake and then somehow connected to the top piece. (I don't know how this could be done seamlessly though--but I am far from expert with fondant.)

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 11:35pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt1714

I don't think that is possible given the way the stripes are - if it were placed on in one piece, I'd think the stripes would be contiuous and not show up in a square around the cake. Just my 2 cents.

That's a very valid point! I stand corrected icon_smile.gif

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 12:33am
post #10 of 11

I think its fondant, i would do as a long strip then wrap around the cake, you might need to do a couple of strips depending on how big that bottom tier is.

It would be easier to paint it though.

victorianne_sweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
victorianne_sweets Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 3:06pm
post #11 of 11

Thank you everyone! I thought no one was reading this, because I never received any notice that there were any replies. icon_sad.gif

I think I will practice on a 5" square to see how the stripes look (plus, my family will eat the practice!).

Thank you all so much! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%