Fondant, Pri'ing

Decorating By sunlover00 Updated 17 Jun 2005 , 6:07am by flayvurdfun

sunlover00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunlover00 Posted 14 Jun 2005 , 3:31am
post #1 of 16

I've been asked to do my first wedding cake with fondant. I've worked iwth it in Wilton class but that's it. It didn't seem too hard then, so I hope I'll get along fine. Haven't met with the bride yet but I need some advice.

First, is $2.25 per serving a fair price for this? (no idea how elaborate she wants it yet) so let's say basic decorating.

Second, her wedding is for 250 people! The largest pan I've ever been able to find is a 1/2 circle 18" pan. What else can I do other than have side cakes?

She also wants a groom's cake! I'm going to have to take time off of work to get this one done I think!

I'll take any pointers I can get on this one. I meet with her this weekend. So much stress on me already as my own wedding is only a few weeks away! icon_surprised.gif

15 replies
cupcakequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakequeen Posted 14 Jun 2005 , 3:50am
post #2 of 16

I think that $2.25 for fondant is cheap. That's even cheap for BC. For a basic cake with plain fondant only, I would start at $3+ per serving. Of course, the more detail/decor she requests, the more you would charge. Some people charge $1 and up for EACH flower that they make. Call some bakeries in your area to find out how they are pricing and you can go from there. To serve 250 people is a lot of cake...so remember the time you have to take to bake it then decorate then assemble. It all adds up! Good luck! icon_smile.gif

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 16 Jun 2005 , 12:43pm
post #3 of 16

I agree with cupcakequeen ...not only is it quite a job but fondant is fairly expensive .

magentaa23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
magentaa23 Posted 16 Jun 2005 , 12:54pm
post #4 of 16

i charge $2.00/person for buttercream andan additional $1.50 for fondant.. but if i find a person doesnt want to pay that i tell them to go for a smaller cake and get a cake just for slicing.. my cousins wedding was for 300... i did a 6,10,14 for show so it was decorated the way she wanted it... and did 2 full sheet cakes that the kitchen had in the back that was only to be cut up.. this way it was only frosted no decoration since noone sees it so it didnt even have to be perfect icon_smile.gif... i recommend this to alot of the brides i talk to.. i try to work within their budget and they still get the wedding cake they really want

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 16 Jun 2005 , 12:56pm
post #5 of 16

I also do what magenta is talking about , offer a intricate cake for cutting and then sheet cakes for volume. It wouks well for a lot of people.

sistersinsweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sistersinsweets Posted 16 Jun 2005 , 1:25pm
post #6 of 16

I am doing a cake for a wedding of 300 ppl the weekend of July 4th. I am only doing a 3 tiered cake for show and for the wedding party and family members to have. The guests will be served cupcakes made my the brides mother and a friend. They are making 300 of them. This is an option you could offer your bride also.
Heather

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 16 Jun 2005 , 1:38pm
post #7 of 16

To me, $2.25 is way too cheap... I'd definitely charge more than that ... I think around $3.25-$3.50 a serving is fair price for something simple in design.. the more decorating it requires, the more the cost goes up ... I had a lady call me regarding a cake a couple of weekends ago.. the location of the wedding is very rural; however not far from me... she started off wanting a 3-tier cake w/2 side cakes w/stairs and all these brides/bridesmaids, groom/groomsmen, minature bride and groom on the stairs and cake ... when I told her I'd have to get back to her w/the costs for all that she was wanting .. I called her and told her the cost and she told me she just couldn't see how it should cost that much ... now, I'm giving her a 12" square (each tier to be 4"), 8" square, 6" square, 2 side cakes in 8" square w/the stairs, all the figurines she wanted and a groom's cake (12 x 18 ) for $300 .. it will be done in BC .. she felt that was too much ... I told her she was more than welcome to contact the bakeries; however, she'd better know they'd charge her to deliver the cakes to where this wedding is to be if they'd deliver them at all (approximately 40 miles from the closest town)... she finally decided on just the 3 tier center cake, no side cakes and a smaller grooms cake (11 x 15) and I agreed to $225 for a final cost. I still haven't seen my 1/2 deposit requirement!! I told her if someone else calls to book the date with me, I go with whomever pays me and books the date first... It really angers me that people think we can do these cakes so cheaply ... so, now that I've made a short story long, DO NOT under sell your cake .. charge more for fondant ... I think that's just way too cheap !!

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 16 Jun 2005 , 2:05pm
post #8 of 16

I agree with everyone else.... DOn't sell yourself short... When you do a fondant cakes you're adding extra time, work and expense.... I do cakes for friends and family at a reduced rate....but someone else...they have to pay the full price... If they don't like it, they can go somewhere else and pay more money.... I made up my mind... I'm not doing all that work for nothing...they wouldn't... and neither should you...
The cake I'm doing in Aug. is for my hubby's cousin... I'm only charging her for the cost of making it... she's buying the flowers and topper, and whatever else she wants on the cake table... When I came up with the price for her for a 14" 10" 6" topper and TWO - 1/2 sheet cakes to serve to guests...the bride said to me.... are you sure this is enough money..lol... hey if she gives me a tip... I'll gladly take it... but she's family and a very sweet girl...she can afford to pay full price, they have the money... so who knows what I'll end up getting... icon_lol.gif
Happy baking,
cakegal

eve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eve Posted 16 Jun 2005 , 2:24pm
post #9 of 16

ARe you making your FOndant ? I make my own FOndant and the ingredients for FOndant are very cheap.... Powdered sugar, a tablespoon of Gelatin, Glycerin and corn syrup, they are very inexpensive at all... BUT, if you are making a wedding cake, then that is a different story... You should charge more , at least $4.00 a serving...
they don't like that, then they can make it themselves..tell them to go to COSTCO.. UNfortunately people expect more than what they pay for, since they have no clue how much work is invovlved.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 16 Jun 2005 , 3:08pm
post #10 of 16

I think it depends where on where you live. I'm the only decorator here and there's not even a grocery store bakery here. I charge about $2.00 a serving and people think that's robbery! My prices are slowly going up, as is my skill level. I wouldn't go all expensive if it were my first wedding cake!

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 16 Jun 2005 , 6:02pm
post #11 of 16

Well making fondant from scratch for me is almost as expensive as buying it readymade, so that varies from place to place.
Obviously buying it in a large pail, is going to give you a much better deal than buying in smaller quantities.
I find all of the prices here low, it may well be something that varies a lot from place to place. But personally, I would check out your local bakeries, not the cheaper grocery type chains, the regular good bakeries.
Some folks charge a set price more per tier when the covering is fondant, like $15 more each tier than buttercream.
Go on Earlene's site and estimate how much fondant you are going to need to do this cake, this will give you a better idea of costs.
Regarding the pan size, bear in mind that many folks have ovens that cannot handle even a 14 or 16 inch round. The depth of the oven can be an issue.
Generally folks charge at least $1.50 more per serving for a fondant covered cake.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

teedy_5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teedy_5 Posted 16 Jun 2005 , 7:12pm
post #12 of 16

Myt cousin is getting married in August. She has ordered a 7 layer cake and a grooms cake for for $300. It is buttercream but that's still cheap to me.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 16 Jun 2005 , 7:40pm
post #13 of 16

That is cheap, aren't you glad you don't have that order, haha!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

sunlover00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunlover00 Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 12:30am
post #14 of 16

Thanks for all of the advice. I meet with her this Sunday. I think I will go up to a minimum of $3 per serving and go from there. Not to mention they are coming for a tasting as well and I don't have a "pricing rule" for that yet. No one has ever asked.

Has anyone ever made anything larger than an 18" base cake?
Also, how do you get that large of a cirlce of fondant rolled out in one pc?

I will make my own marshmallow fondant - it tastes so much better.

I should have read and learned more when I saw all of the fondant posts! I'll have to go back and read so I don't bother everyone with those repetitive questions! thumbs_up.gif

BTW - I have a new digital camera and can't wait to start taking GOOD pics of my cakes!

SquirrellyCakes Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 1:30am
post #15 of 16

You can purchase 20 inch round pans, there are larger pans available for commercial ovens. Since most folks cannot fit a complete 18 inch round in their ovens, the Wilton people make the 18 inch as a half round.
Well, you need to knead small amounts of fondant on its own and then all together. You will need to have a very large circle to lift up your fondant circle on to transfer it to the cake.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 6:07am
post #16 of 16

I heard 3.00 per slice for fondant when you can find it around here, is about average if the fondant is also decorated... but I dont know

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%