Full Time Baker Or ....?

Decorating By SweetBellina Updated 17 Aug 2009 , 10:25pm by CanadianChick

texaskitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texaskitty Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 5:20pm
post #31 of 64

I am a stay at home wife, but I am in the process of starting my own e-commerce site. Cake decorating is a hobby, but I seem to work on it more that getting my business started icon_redface.gif . I will never get my site up and running at this rate icon_lol.gif but I just love doing cakes.

Melissa

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 5:30pm
post #32 of 64

I work full time as an editor at a very large legal publishing company. I also teach Wilton classes part time. Cakes are just a hobby right now.

ape Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ape Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 5:33pm
post #33 of 64

Stay at home homeschooling mom to a 5 year old boy, 4 year old boy and 2 year old girl. Full time wife to DH! Used to work in the biotechnology field....I prefer cakes, but they are just a hobby for now!

tammiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammiemarie Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 5:38pm
post #34 of 64

I'm a stay at home momma of 2, ages 7 months and 22 months. I bake as a hobby for family and friends, trying to build experience to make a business out of it when my kids start school! Only 3 years to go...

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 5:39pm
post #35 of 64

I work full time - office manager for a manufacturing company for the last 14 1/2 years. Take care kids and hubby, started going back to school. Baking/cake decorating is a hobby for the last 10+ years.

cmjnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmjnc Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 5:50pm
post #36 of 64

Full time lawyer, unfortunately! I take classes at a local specialty cake store (Cake Carousel in Richardson, TX) and bake for friends and family. This fall will be busy with two baby showers (both of which I'm throwing in addition to making the cake) and a groom's cake for my cousin's wedding. I sure do wish I could quit my job and do cakes full time! Maybe some day . . .

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 5:51pm
post #37 of 64

'm a SAHM. residential manager for an apertment manger, mother, and wife. While baking is a hobby that I can make some money at, I need to work at fine tuning my technique a bit (I'm actually going to take classes from our adult school district next month.). I'm also hoping to be a paraeducator this fall... going to a cattle call interview next week.

solidezca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solidezca Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 5:51pm
post #38 of 64

I am a full time accountant, I am the mommy of a soon to be 3 year old boy, take care fo DH. i also have a dog and a bird! so cakes are definitely a hobby at the moment! I would trade accounting for cakes @ any time icon_biggrin.gif

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 6:09pm
post #39 of 64

I was wondering what people did too!! I didn't know there were other threads on this topic. I'm an Admin. Asst. but I hate it. Don't get paid enough at all - somewhat thankfully it's not a busy job so I'm on here all day!! I want to go to culinary school (The French Culinary school in N.Y. or the local one here - I could settle for that I guess) or to graphic design school - but alas, my parents made me go to college right after graduating high school and I didn't have enough time to figure out what I wanted to do. Now that I know, there isn't a whole lotta money left for schooling..... still filling out scholarships and wishing & hoping... I also have trouble deciding between graphic design or cakes - graphic stuff seems soooooo complicated and detailed and over my head sometimes but the cake stuff seems like you can pick it up - people teach themselves and all - and while it certainly isn't inexpensive - it also doesn't cost $600 just to START to learn it like graphic design does (for programs). Okay I've gone on a little too long for answering this question...... anyway - that's what I do now and what I want to do icon_smile.gif I'm baking some cakes for friends and family and did one for my company but I'm not doing it full time or anything like that...

Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 9:55pm
post #40 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by imartsy

I want to go to culinary school (The French Culinary school in N.Y. or the local one here - I could settle for that I guess) .

Are you thinking about going to Sullivan? I hear they have a GREAT culinary program. I'm over an hour away or I'd try to enroll there. Good luck wherever you decide to go!

SweetThistleCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetThistleCakes Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 10:11pm
post #41 of 64

I work in the real estate field.

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 10:30pm
post #42 of 64

I work at a large advertising agency in the graphic design studio. I don't get to do any designing there, just preparing the files for mass distrobution. Do some freelance design on the side, and now, obsessed with perfecting cake design.

I guess I'm taking my uncreative job in a creative department out on cakes! So I can do whatever I want with them!

And I have 2 furry children, an orange tabby and a coonhound.

Jasra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasra Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 10:35pm
post #43 of 64

I work as a Fire Dispatcher and just do cakes for fun on the side.

greenhorn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greenhorn Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 10:54pm
post #44 of 64

I'm a special education coordinator for a large urban district...I work year round; also mom to 5 (blelnded family of his , mine, and ours). Cake decorating is "stress relief".

JulieBugg2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieBugg2000 Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 10:54pm
post #45 of 64

Full time graduate student in the Biochemistry PhD program at the University of Florida..

I love doing cakes though and always tell my husband that I'm going to get my PhD and then use it to decorate cake!

shashonda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shashonda Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 11:04pm
post #46 of 64

I am employed full-time as Director of Information Systems for a small healthcare outsourcing company and a full-time student pursuing my MFA (creative writing emphasis.)

I was looking for a different creative outlet for the times that I am "stuck" in my writing, but I am loving doing cakes. I will keep practicing and see where it takes me.

cookieman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieman Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 11:11pm
post #47 of 64

I'm a full-time copywriter for Macy's. I used to have my own custom cookie business, but things went south--so to speak--and I gave it up. It takes a lot to start a business. I'm sure one day I will do something with my cookies, but for now I like the stability of working for a huge company, a steady paycheck, and a rewarding career that I can leave at the end of the day and on weekends! icon_biggrin.gif

Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 11:19pm
post #48 of 64

I love this thread.

I am a full time bookkeeper. I work in the nursery at my wonderful church three times a week. Part time baker. & Mommy to my wonderful cat named Max. thumbs_up.gif

Muneka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Muneka Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 12:33am
post #49 of 64

Hi, I am a clerk at a welfare office and ummm every day is an interesting day. But I thank God, He has provided me with a job and the talent of decorating cakes. My interest started about 5 years ago. I thought I wanted to be a wedding planner but then I had more interest in decorating cakes. I decided to take a Wiltons cake decorating class, and decorated my first baby shower cake (for my sister), wow that cake took me forever, I was still decorating even through out the shower. haha
Ive done 1 wedding cake, tons of birthday cakes. Its seems I get better with time. Right now its a little difficult for me I had to move back with my parents, so its hard. I need my own kitchen!!! I would like to pursue this as a full time thing but at the moment its a little difficult, financially. But with prayer and a desire that wont quit within I will get there.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Euphoriabakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Euphoriabakery Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 12:45am
post #50 of 64

I am a stay at home mom of 2 little girls. A 3 year old and a almost 2 year old. Also just found out the 3rd is on the way! I also run a small at home baking and decorating buisness on the side. check it out at www.euphoriabakery.com. And in my spare time (ha ha, as if there is any) I teach Wilton classes at a local Michaels. I keep very busy, but love every minute of it!

Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 2:05am
post #51 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoriabakery

Also just found out the 3rd is on the way! !

Congrats thumbs_up.gif

Cindy_Gl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy_Gl Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 2:39am
post #52 of 64

Congratulations Euphoriabaker!!

I own a grocery store with my DH. I have a bakery in the store. I only work 3 days a week. I make breads, rolls donuts, coffee cakes, cookies, all that good stuff. I used to decorate cakes, but quit doing them the first of this year. Never did wedding cakes, just birthday, anniversary, all sheet cakes. Got burned out FAST!

I love baking at home, versus the store baking, believe me there is a big difference. I don't like dealing with the public when it comes to cakes.

My daughter is getting married Sept 9th and wants me to make her cake. She used to work for a very respected caterer, while working on her internship. She is spoiled by scratch baking and using the very finest ingredients. I told her I would do my best?! Having no experince in tiered cakes, I did some researching, and found this great site!! And of course I am hooked. So part of my day is spent surfing around on here. lol

Oh, I am also grandma to a beautiful 3 year old granddaugther, whom I have the privaledge of watching whenever I want to.

Cindy (has anyone else noticed that there are a ton of Cindy's on this site? lol)

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 3:39am
post #53 of 64
Quote:

I am a stay at home mom of 2 little girls. A 3 year old and a almost 2 year old. Also just found out the 3rd is on the way! I also run a small at home baking and decorating buisness on the side. check it out at www.euphoriabakery.com. And in my spare time (ha ha, as if there is any) I teach Wilton classes at a local Michaels. I keep very busy, but love every minute of it!

Congratulations! That is very exciting. I have two little boys, a 3 year old and almost 2 year old (next month). I have been nagging my hubby lately about #3 but he isn't quite ready for that yet. Best wishes to you and your growing family!

good36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
good36 Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 10:25pm
post #54 of 64

I am a nurse and do cakes for fun!
Judy

MavericksMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MavericksMommy Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 10:53pm
post #55 of 64

I'm an administrative assistant (and jill of all trades) for the American Heart Association. I got into cake decorating a few months ago after I had a miscarriage. I needed something to busy myself with to take my mind off things, and since I love baking and Michael's was having a 1/2 off their classes sale, I took 2 at once. Now I'm hooked! I used to be a floral designer (I even won some awards) before so I guess I like making pretty things for people! Now I hope that I can do cakes to bring in some $$. It would be nice to be able to do that after I have kids!

And Congratulations Euphoriabakery!! That's great news! I'm so happy for you! icon_biggrin.gif

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 11:03pm
post #56 of 64

I'm a school bus driver, volunteer fire fighter, & cake decorator. All keep me very busy! OH & I'm a Big Brother fan!! icon_smile.gif Might as well be Dear Abby too because everyone is always calling me for advice. Gosh... when will I find someone to give some advice to me?? icon_smile.gif Anyway great hearing what everyone does~

tammi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammi Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 11:52pm
post #57 of 64

I am a full time mother to two wonderful daughters and a handsome husband. I went to culinary school and I have worked here and there to get experience with my baking. Unfortunately, working in the baking field does not fit into family life, so I am going back to school in a couple of weeks to get my elementary teaching degree. Need to have extra money for children's college fund and more cake stuff.

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 12:04am
post #58 of 64

After trying to work outside the home for awhile, I learned that my heart was at home with my kids, so I left the work world to stay home with my kids. I was baking cakes for friends as a hobby and they all were telling to go in business with that. So I gathered the info about having a home based business here, it was possible, so I went ahead, opened my own business (at-home), got licensed, and here I am! I can stay home with my kids (I try to work when they're in bed or at school) and if something comes up and I need to go pick them up at school, I can! and I can decorate cakes while watching my Montel! I get the best of both worlds! I'm sure glad the regulations are not the same here than in the USA or I wouldn't be able to do it!

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 6:17pm
post #59 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundine2

Work full time in critical care as an RN. Bake on the side...just for fun and to relieve the stress of being a nurse. Been a nurse for 19 years...best decision I ever made was to go to nursing school.

You sound just like me. I always say the best thing I ever did was go to nursing school. I've also been a nurse for 19 years....... cakes is my on-the-side business, and growing............ icon_biggrin.gif

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 6:31pm
post #60 of 64
Quote:

Your link doesn't work would love to check out your business

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%