Learning Enough In Wilton Classes?

Decorating By newtobaking Updated 11 Aug 2006 , 6:29am by jellyb123

newtobaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newtobaking Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 9:35pm
post #1 of 13

I'm about to start course 3 of the Wilton's classes at my locals Michaels. For those of you who have completed the courses do you feel you learned enough to go out on your own. I really enjoy the classes but 2hrs once a week seems like its hardly enough time to really learn all the things there are to learn about cake decorating. I've looked at some of your pages and have seen some really beautiful cakes. After I complete course 3, I was considering taking a cake decorating class at the local votech--do you think this will be worthwhile--or would just be a rehashing for what I was already taught at Michaels

12 replies
cakerunner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerunner Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 10:12pm
post #2 of 13

I don't know avbout your votech, but i am begining course 3 tomorrow and I feel like course 2 really built on my skills. Of course I will be practicing the techniques and I try to get some practice in through the week. I am a sty at home mom so I consider my cake decorating my "school" as I am trying to get into the business, so I do take out some time to practice... sorry for the rambling.lol.

lrstone98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrstone98 Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 10:26pm
post #3 of 13

I really think it depends on the teacher. I took my first two coarses with a lady that had been decorating for about 10 yrs full time at that point. she had all kinds of little inside tips and tricks along the way and really knew her stuff. I had to wait awhile to take the third one and it is with a woman who has been decorating for about five, professionally for two, and just took the teaching coarse in Chicago last year. You can really tell the difference.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 11:07pm
post #4 of 13

It depends on what you mean by 'out on your own'. the cakes in your gallery look like you are catching on to the techniques. Most things about cake decorating are practice, practice, practice. Trying new things on your family and using dummies to practice will also help.

If you mean starting a business, you need to find out if it is legal to sell your cakes from your home. Many places require a health inspection and a license to sell cakes to the public.

If the votech program is affordable for you, take it. You never know when you might learn the secret that makes everything easier.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 11:21pm
post #5 of 13

You learn a lot in classes, but experience is the best teacher. The more you do, the better you get. I took my wilton classes in 1982. I take pictures of all my cakes. I can see a big difference between my cakes in the 80s and my cakes in the 2000s. Just have confidence and don't be afraid to try anything requested of you. Count on cake central for lots of support.

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 2:07am
post #6 of 13

I guess it depends on what you really mean by

Quote:
Quote:

2hrs once a week seems like its hardly enough time to really learn all the things there are to learn about cake decorating.

Wilton does not cover all there is to know. It is geared for the beginner decorator and to teach the basics--to whet to cake decorating appetite. Can you start a business with those skills--sure. But to learn more, perusing the internet, coming to this site, getting books, taking other classes is a big help. I took the classes back in 2003. I had done a couple of cakes the year before I took the classes. When I finished (did the 12 weeks in a row), I felt okay, but really wanted more knowlegde. So I hit the internet and started learning. I love this site--learned a lot from here and other sources. I kepp learning everyday. So I guess no one really knows everything.... icon_wink.gif But if the other classes teach things that you don't know--take them--suck in the knowledge! Good luck!

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 4:26am
post #7 of 13

You can also check to see if a cake supply store has classes. They're usually different from the Wilton ones.

I recently looked up info about classes at community colleges near me. I REALLY want to take a few, but they're 6 hours long once a week and that just doesn't fit into my work schedule! But it sure would be informative I'm sure.

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 4:35am
post #8 of 13

You can also check out ICES in your area. They have Days of sharing and you get to learn new things, eat AND meet people with the same interests. You can pick their brains too! I really enjoy it and I am just a schlump when it comes to decorating....

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 7:29am
post #9 of 13

As a Wilton instructor, the classes are set for the material they provide us. Technically we are not supposed to provide any information that is not the Wilton way, although I have heard from previous students some nightmares and also some things that were done that were not the Wilton method. With just 2 hours in each class, a good teacher will work the class constantly to help them improve their techniques. If I have time I will always give them some good tips to add to their book. So much of this is dependent on the amount of time you put into it. Classes may be given at various places, which you may learn some different techniques. You can always inquire as to the course syllabus. Good Luck.

SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 8:15am
post #10 of 13

I took all three wilton courses. I think they give you the basics of what you need to know to get started and then it's up to you to read and try new things. For me it was practice, practice, practice. And trial and error. Don't be in a hurry to be a professional or start a business. Make cakes for practice and then give them away. Bring cakes to parties and family events. After 3 years of making free cakes, I'm just starting to charge.

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 8:55am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahJane

I took all three wilton courses. I think they give you the basics of what you need to know to get started and then it's up to you to read and try new things. For me it was practice, practice, practice. And trial and error. Don't be in a hurry to be a professional or start a business. Make cakes for practice and then give them away. Bring cakes to parties and family events. After 3 years of making free cakes, I'm just starting to charge.

I agree. I'm in course 2 after having been a self-taught decorator for a few years. I am learning so much in these courses already. But what I find is that they are sticking to the same strict guidelines and giving you a foundation to build on. Once you learn to do it the Wilton way, it's much easier to branch off and learn different techniques and apply them as you learn. That's why I love this site. It is helping to stretch beyond Wilton and add some super ideas, or brilliant recipes and techniques. Like my instructor would never tell us to use computer paper to smooth a cake. I tried it the other day on a well crusted cake and was totally flipping impressed! Take the courses and keep visiting here and grow. That's what makes it fun. thumbs_up.gif

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 12:04pm
post #12 of 13

I just attended my first course 3 class and I feel like I've learned enough techniques to practice over and over until I master them, before I even consider doing this for money then again some people are in a hurry to make money and that's not my case I started as a hobby and so I can make decent cakes for my THREE kids!! So I guess if I do that weather I want to or not I will get better because of all the practice. And I have other schools that offer the classes but I don't think there is anything that Wilton did not teach that they will, plus they cost a lot of money and are really long and sorry but I already spend a lot of money on this hobby and even have to hire a sitter from time to time. Hiring a sitter for my class costs more than the whole course so I won't be doing that I suggest and these are my plans you just practice what you have learned and if you want to try something new ask the CC girls for help they are always here!!!!!

jellyb123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jellyb123 Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 6:29am
post #13 of 13

I took the Wilton "Masters" course at the Wilton School in Illinois about 8 months ago and have been practicing and learning more and more ever since and I am just starting to feel almost ready. I think that it takes a lot of practice on your own and also a lot of experimentation before you can make truly professional cakes. I've made so many mistakes that I have learned so much from, yet would have been HORRIFIED by, had I been doing a paid cake at the time.
Also, Wilton doesn't teach you about any other products or methods other than their own, so if you don't learn more and/or experiment, you will be severely limited in what types of cakes you can produce. They provide a GREAT start and time proven techniques, though, on what they do teach.
On the other hand, I took a gumpaste class there and then found out that there were other methods that were far easier than theirs, with equally beautiful results.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%