How To Use Fresh Flowers On A Cake?

Decorating By babyscake Updated 14 Aug 2006 , 12:13am by loriemoms

babyscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babyscake Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 1:35pm
post #1 of 20

I want to start using flowers on my cake, yet I can figure out how to dispaly them without messing up my cake. I know I can use the little water viles for single flowers , but for a bunch that would ruin the cake. I thought about using the floral styrofoam but I dont want it to show and sink into my cake or even leak. Please help I want to know it all. Thank you. OH and where can I find the single flower viles? Don't even know the name to it either...lol. Thank you once again.

19 replies
melxcloud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melxcloud Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 1:54pm
post #2 of 20

Bump!

babyscake Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 7:09pm
post #3 of 20

Any one please help!!!!

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 7:15pm
post #4 of 20

Wilton make floral picks, they are a little tube that will hold water. A florist can sell you the little tubes for flowers.

As for a bunch, a small bowl will hold the floral foam that will hold your arrangement.

You might ask a florist to help you with your design. They will have all the stuff to make it work for you.

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 7:16pm
post #5 of 20

Wilton sells the flower spikes, you can probably find them at Michaels.

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 7:16pm
post #6 of 20

Wilton floral spikes, you mean?

I get them at any cake decorating store (when available), or you can order them at Wilton.com.

I LOVE them for fresh flowers, wouldn't work without them. You can place them pretty close together, and there will be pieces of cake that have the "messy" spot where they were, but oh well.

ozzynjojo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ozzynjojo Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 7:36pm
post #7 of 20

What I do is I use a plastic champagne glass and green floral styrofoam. With the rim of the glass I cut out the styrofoam that way it'll fit perfectly in the the glass. Then you arrange all the flowers how you would like. After that take the plastic champagne glass off of its base and stick the glass into your cake. You might want to push it in really good. Then you can arrange baby breath or (I'm not sure what its called) I think fern, around the cup to hide it.
Hope this all makes sense. Good luck!

Michelle

babyscake Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 1:02am
post #8 of 20

Thank you everyone! That helped me so much. Now I am ready to work with fresh flowers icon_biggrin.gif . I will put a post later about cakes and edible flowers. Hope you can all help there too. Thank you once again!!!!

sheronc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheronc Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 2:35pm
post #9 of 20

Are all of these things necessary or can you just stick the flowers directly into the cake? I have to put a grouping of red roses on top of a wedding cake and I was just gonna stick the bouquet right into the cake top. Is that a bad idea?

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 2:43pm
post #10 of 20

I would not stick them directly into the cake. You don't know what they have been sprayed with. I would either put it into the flower holder, Wilton makes one, or wrap what is going into the cake with plastic or something.

gottacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottacake Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 2:44pm
post #11 of 20

good question. bump.

sheronc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheronc Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 2:49pm
post #12 of 20

Really? Well thank goodness someone asked this question because I would have never thought there would be any other way of putting fresh flowers on a cake. I was all ready to just shove them in and be done with it. I like the plastic champaigne glass idea. That sounds inexpensive too.

Chef_Stef Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 3:04pm
post #13 of 20

I've seen people stick them right in, and I know florists do it (I had one who just jammed a whole bouquet in the top of my cake without even asking me), but flowers will almost always have been treated with various pesticides and systemic fertilizers, etc. You could the stems in saran wrap and then stick them in, if you had a large group that wouldn't be as easy to do with Wilton spikes. Keep in mind that the Wilton spikes are not very wide. They only hold one fat rose stem each, or maybe two, if they're not as big. I also had trouble finding them this spring because my main decorating store was out and said Wilton was even out...

The only thing about saran is when people cut the cake and remove the flowers, will the saran all come out or could there be bits of it left behind? "What's THIS? Did I just eat Glad wrap??"

If you put a separator plate on the cake, you can use a 3-4" ball of foam cut in half and maybe wrapped to keep the moisture in, then stick the flowers into that for a really full look.

I like to play it safe and use the spikes...

emnjakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emnjakesmom Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 3:15pm
post #14 of 20

Good question, babyscake- I've been wondering about fresh flowers, too. Hope you don't mind me "hijacking" your question, but do you need to ask the florist for flowers that weren't treated with any sprays or chemicals?

Oh, yay, I just noticed I'm not a newbie anymore! Yipee!!

babyscake Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 3:27pm
post #15 of 20

I am just glad that others are able to learn from it besides me! icon_biggrin.gif

Chef_Stef Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 3:35pm
post #16 of 20

You *could* ask for "organically grown" flowers, but I have a feeling you'd get a blank look. If you grow you own, you could use those, but beware that many are not edible or in fact poisonous. I still wouldn't stick any flower stem right into a cake, just in case, especially for a customer.

babyscake Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 3:39pm
post #17 of 20

Can you make like a bunt cake and put like a vase in the middle of it? I think that can work too. Has anyone done this before?

Chef_Stef Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 4:37pm
post #18 of 20

That would totally work.

loves2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loves2bake Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 1:21am
post #19 of 20

Someone had suggested to me once to use straws for the stems. I also wonder if you couldn't just wrap a 'bunch' of them in a rubber band w/syran wrap before sticking them in the cake. Do you think it would work?

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 12:13am
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzynjojo

What I do is I use a plastic champagne glass and green floral styrofoam. With the rim of the glass I cut out the styrofoam that way it'll fit perfectly in the the glass. Then you arrange all the flowers how you would like. After that take the plastic champagne glass off of its base and stick the glass into your cake. You might want to push it in really good. Then you can arrange baby breath or (I'm not sure what its called) I think fern, around the cup to hide it.
Hope this all makes sense. Good luck!

Michelle

I use those little green flower things that the florist has. They keep the water in pretty well and don't make too much of a mess The wilton ones leak too much water out.

but this idea is BRILLANT!!! I gotta remember it!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%