Sphere Cake - Please Help!

Decorating By tal Updated 18 Aug 2006 , 2:40pm by dodibug

tal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tal Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 12:26pm
post #1 of 12

Hello. I am making a groom's cake for my niece's wedding in October. He loves Xbox but he wants the cake to be in the shape of the Xbox 360 Logo which is a sphere-shaped ball with a green "X" going thru the top of the sphere.

Should I use fondant to cover the sphere? But how do I put the "X" over the sphere so it looks like it has some depth? The "X" actually looks like it's 'cut' into the top of the sphere.

ANY suggestions would be so helpful. I haven't had any responses from the "How Do I" forum as of yet.

Thanks, lis icon_sad.gif

11 replies
dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 1:00pm
post #2 of 12

You could try it by using the ball pan for the cake, cover with fondant then lay the shape of the X over the top (I would roll it thinner that you might normally so it blends in better) and use fondant tools to push in the X some to give it the depth. You can also use dusts and paint the fondant to give it the right colors/shading to give the appearance of the depth. Good thing is you've got time to experiment!

babyscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babyscake Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 1:22pm
post #3 of 12

I would also try the Ball pan and carving the x on the cake. Then after frosted and overed with fondant or anything like that shape out the carved x. You can color the inside or use chocolate melts. Another Idea is to use a cake on the bottom and a styrofoam ball on top for the logo.

jellyb123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jellyb123 Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 6:49am
post #4 of 12

Just how would you cover a sphere in fondant?

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 7:00am
post #5 of 12

very carefully? icon_wink.gif

dodibug Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 1:52pm
post #6 of 12

It can be done. I covered the tooth in my pics which was a really odd shape to try to cover. You just have to really take your time and not rush trying to cover it. I have found that to be true of anything I have tried to cover in fondant. I'm new to it and the pros make it look sooooo easy-they just whip it on there!! But if you take it slow and get it rolled out to the right thickness in the beginning it seems to go much smoother. thumbs_up.gif

babyscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babyscake Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 1:55pm
post #7 of 12

WHAT ABOUT CHOCOLATE MELTS ALL OVER IT OR GANACHE? THAT'S ANOTHE IDEA. YOU CAN ADD BLACK CANDY COLORS TO IT. JUST ANOTHER THOUGHT AND IT SEEM MUCH EASIER TOO.

dodibug Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 2:15pm
post #8 of 12

One thing I was thinking about the other day-you could lay the green fondant on the cake then cover the entire cake with the color of the ball then cut out the X shape so when you cut it out the green would be underneath. You'd have to be really, really careful when cutting the X but that might give you the depth you are looking for.

tal Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 12:48am
post #9 of 12

all of your ideas have been great. I've tried to cover the sphere and had no trouble using MMF. it covered smoothly and evenly. The "X" is the tough part! I tried cutting out cake - NOT; I tried cutting out MMF in shape of "X", coloring same and placing on top - NOT.......ughhhhhhh!

I'm thinking of skipping the depth look for now and just painting the "X" over the sphere.

Now I do have a question on the coloring of the fondant. I had a very difficult time trying to mix in the color (which is to be gray) with the fondant. Just wouldn't smoothe in evenly. Is there a gray colored spray I could order or use? does anyone know a website I could find such a thing to spray over the fondant?

Thanks again so much for your help and thoughts,

lis

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 2:07am
post #10 of 12

Apparently Ace of Cakes on food tv tonite at 9:30 central time will show an xbox cake. You might want to watch.

tal Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 11:56am
post #11 of 12

Are you talking about the food network channel? that is wonderful!!! thank you so much! I'll watch it tonight!! icon_biggrin.gif

dodibug Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 2:40pm
post #12 of 12

Witon makes a spray color that you should be able to find at Micheals.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%