My First Complaint! How To Respond?

Business By SweetArt Updated 27 Jun 2007 , 12:10pm by SarahsSweets2006

SweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetArt Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 4:59pm
post #1 of 41

(Sorry, this came out as 2 posts, please read the one below also.)

Well, I got my first complaint last night via e-mail.

Here is what was in the contract:

3 tiered square cake sizes 4, 8, 12; stacked; rotating

4" French Vanilla
8" Chocolate Fudge
12" French Vanilla

All iced and filled with Cream Cheese Buttercream icing.

She wanted a ribbon around the bottom;
scroll piping above the ribbon, all of it on the lower 1/3 of the cake;
a loopy bow on the top tier with her initial topper in the center of the bow;
everything done to match the ribbon she gave me.

Well, here is the cake:

(Continued below)
LL

40 replies
SweetArt Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 4:59pm
post #2 of 41

Here is what she wrote in the e-mail:

I didn't get a chance to say anything about the cake. I was pretty sure that I did not order a chocolate layer. Also I thought the piping was going to be up the cake more. I remember stating that if the ribbon was to wide it could be cut. I just really don't believe we got the picture that we looked at when we went through cakes. I was really disappointed.

Obviously she did order a chocolate layer, the contract specified the scrolls would be on the lower 1/3 of the cake, and she said "if the ribbon was to wide it could be cut". I was able to fit the ribbon and the scrolls on to the lower 1/3 of the cake without any problems, so I didn't feel the ribbon needed to be cut. If she had wanted a skinny ribbon, then why didn't she cut it herself before she gave it to me, or say that she wanted me to cut it to a 1/2" or whatever size instead of saying "IF".

She did look at a picture to get ideas, and settled on a picture, but then wanted changes from that picture. I wrote all the specifics of the cake in the contract, and did a sketch in the margins. I reviewed the details of the order with her and she approved and then signed the contract.

I'm trying to think of a way to respond to her without sounding like I'm shaking a finger in her face saying, "you approved the changes and signed the contract". I also don't want her to remain upset about this. I do want to smooth this over and you all often have such great suggestions.

Thanks!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 5:09pm
post #3 of 41

Hmm.

Maybe you could send her a copy of the contract (especially the sketch) and say that since its hard sometimes to communicate with just words, if she could point out how the real cake was different from the contract/sketch so that you will be able to see and correct your mistakes...

If she can't do it, then she will know its her mistake and not yours.

dominique26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dominique26 Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 5:14pm
post #4 of 41

I think Kitagrl had a great suggestion. Maybe if she sees the contract and sketches it will jog her memory. It kinda sounds like she's just fishing for a refund, did she ask for one?

The cake look beautiful BTW and I would have been thrilled to have a cake like that at my wedding.

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 5:17pm
post #5 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Hmm.

Maybe you could send her a copy of the contract (especially the sketch) and say that since its hard sometimes to communicate with just words, if she could point out how the real cake was different from the contract/sketch so that you will be able to see and correct your mistakes...

If she can't do it, then she will know its her mistake and not yours.

Perfectly stated....this is exactly what I would do.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 5:17pm
post #6 of 41

If she got what she signed off on, then I really don't understand her problem! Sounds like either someone is fishing for some money back (without due cause!), or she is someone you would never have pleased no matter what you did. I can't see where you are in the wrong on this at all. icon_confused.gif

mullett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mullett Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 5:19pm
post #7 of 41

DID SHE GET A COPY OF THE CONTRACT???? IF SO SUGGEST THAT SHE TAKE A LOOK AT IT OR YOU COULD SUPPLY HER ANOTHER COPY. THAT THE CAKE SHE RECEIVED WAS EXECTLY WHAT SHE ORDERED. THAT THE CONTRACT WAS PRETTY EXPLICT AND DID NOT LEAVE YOU MUCH ROOM FOR MANY ARTISTIC INTERPRETATION.

BUT YOU UNDERSTAND THAT WITH ALL THE STRESSES OF A WEDDING SOMETIMES THINGS ARE NOT ALWAYS THE WAY WE REMEMBER THEM TO BE, AND YOU ARE SORRY THAT THIS HAPPENED TO HER ON HER SPECIAL DAY.

SweetArt Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 5:19pm
post #8 of 41

What I qouted was all she said. I just feel I need to address this. I will be sending her a scanned copy of the contract as an attachment when I respond to her.

ladefly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladefly Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 5:21pm
post #9 of 41

i also agree with kitagirl..... it does sound like she is fishing.......
hmmm.... sorry i don't know how to word it though.

mullett Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 5:21pm
post #10 of 41

BY THE WAY..... THE CAKE IS LOVELY!

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 5:21pm
post #11 of 41

I hope someone can give you advice on this. I'm not a cake business person yet, so i can't reply to your question.
I wanted to tell you your cake is beautiful! and by the description it sounds like you did what she asked for. good luck.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 5:22pm
post #12 of 41

sounds like after she left from visiting with you she had some other thougths in mind and some how those settled in as this is what we're having. it has happend.has happend to me a few times and ended up with glasses i had picked out but forgot i chose them as the final pic; when i'd been envisioning the whole wait about another pair i saw.

what you said sounded perfect in my opinion. these were the changes she approved on before leaving your premesis (sp) and signed the contract confirming the changes and acceptance.

perhaps she'd thought of some changes after and forgot to notitfy you but again this isn't your problem as they were never conveyed.

canoewoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
canoewoman Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 5:22pm
post #13 of 41

I agree with the above. Show her the contract and sketches and show her it is exactly as she ordered and approved. Since it is a SIGNED contract there really is no point in her complaining about anything. I would like to know if the chocolate cake was eaten or tossed to the side. If eaten, I don't think that there is any reason for her to complain about it. If it wasn't touched at all I would offer her a discount but she would have to bring me the WHOLE cake back untouched in any way!!!

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 5:24pm
post #14 of 41

oops another agree addition i forgot to add. lovely cake icon_smile.gif

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 5:24pm
post #15 of 41

Hmmm. I would tell her that you are sorry it wasnt what she had envisioned and that you must have miscommunicated because here is the sketch and description that you both had agreed upon. You completed the order the way you were supposed to. It may be that it just turn out looking they way she thought it would, even though you did everything right. I do not know if I would offer her any money back at this point. Maybe you can say offer her a discount on a future order or something just to make peace.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 5:25pm
post #16 of 41

I'm surprised she didn't consult her contract before writing. She was like "I don't think I ordered chocolate"....well why didn't she CHECK? I know if I have a disagreement with something I purchased or something, I check receipts or online accounts first to verify what I thought....THEN I contact the person with my question or complaint.

She sounds a bit flighty to me...hopefully once she sees the contract she will be like "Oh yeah...." and it will be over.

Ldydesignr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ldydesignr Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 5:30pm
post #17 of 41

You did a beautiful job on the cake. Sounds like you followed the contract and instructions to a tee. She may not be remembering everything correctly. Once she sees that it filled the contract you shouldn't have any problems. It does seem like she may be trying to get some money back...otherwise why complain?

mullett Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 5:34pm
post #18 of 41

IN A P.M. I HAVE BEEN CHASTIZED FOR USING ALL CAPS. I APPARENTLY HAVE BEEN SHOUTING AT YOU. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR SHOUTING. PLEASE NOTE I HAVE A BROKEN LEFT HAND AND CAPS ARE EASIER FOR ME. HOWEVER I WILL REFRAIN FROM POSTING FOR THE NEXT SIX WEEKS.

BUT AGAIN, YOUR CAKE IS LOVELY.

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 5:36pm
post #19 of 41

I bet she had the original photo in her head. And she envisioned that cake, even though she approved changes. It is hard to see changes on something that is different (the original photo.) Fortunately you have your bases covered with a signed contract w/sketches.

I would be very apologetic, but also firm that this is what you discussed and agreed upon (see signed contract). She allowed you to make the decision on the ribbon, so if she is upset on the size, she should have bought different ribbon. (Plus, you cannot cut ribbon, it would have frayed to pieces!)

You never know, she may just be fishing for some money back or maybe her wedding day didn't go good and she is just looking for someone to blame it on. But whatever the cause, you did what she ordered, and that is that. The cake looks good to me!

Stephanie

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 5:43pm
post #20 of 41

This sounds like a conflict of "visions".

If you sent her a sketch and the sletch mirros what you supplied then I think she might just be trying the "buyers remorse" tactic...looking for some money back.

If she signed the contract and read it first, icon_confused.gif , then she would realize that she did order a chocolate layer. That alone leads me to believe that she is grasping at straws. If she didn't read that she ordered a chocolate layer did she then not look at the sketch you provided? Seems not.

You did everything right, it seems to me and yet you have a disgruntled client, regardless of who is right. Offering her a discount on a future order will probably not placate her, if her goal is to get money back.

I would put the onus on her. Send her the copy of the contract and sketch. Nicely point out that the contract and sketch is exactly what you provided. Then ask her, in the interest of fairness to you and her, just what you can do to make her happy and see what she says.

Put the ball back in her court. You can't know how to resolve this unless you know what her goal is.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 5:49pm
post #21 of 41

Agree with all of the "send her a copy" comments. Sometimes a person just honestly doesnt' remember what she ordered.

After 15 years of wearing contacts, I had to switch to glasses due to damage to my eye. I spent forever picking out frames because I hated all of them. I finally picked a pair and when they came in a few weeks later, I went to pick them up, looked at them and said, "I ordered THESE?????" They were the ugliest things I had ever seen .... something my youngest sister would order and her and I did NOT agree on fashion! I could not imagine ever picking those glasses, but hubby and daughter assured me, "yes, mom, those are the ones you decided on!"

Bottom line: you've got it in writing.

MahalKita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MahalKita Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 5:59pm
post #22 of 41

Mullett hope your hand is better soon. icon_surprised.gif I am sure now that whomever PMed you is aware of your perfectly good reason for all caps & they will overlook it in the future. Don't stop posting. icon_smile.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 6:00pm
post #23 of 41

Well, I can't add anything, as everyone has given you an excellent idea of what to do, but I just wanted to pop in and point out that the cake is gorgeous, and this bride must be off her rocker to be disappointed!! You GO with your bad self!!

MahalKita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MahalKita Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 6:03pm
post #24 of 41

I agree with everyone else, BEAUTIFUL cake & don't take it personal. Some people you just can't please.

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 6:05pm
post #25 of 41

I agree about sending her another copy of the contract.

By the way, love the cake!

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 6:08pm
post #26 of 41

Well, what more can be said. Let us know how all turns out. I'm awaiting that 1st dreadful time that someone complains about something. Hopefully all the great threads like this will teach me how to deal with it beforehand. Thanks for posting and I love the cake!!!

BlairsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlairsMom Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 6:46pm
post #27 of 41

Sounds like you have already got great advice on how to handle the complaint but I just wanted to say your cake is beautiful!!

SweetArt Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 7:12pm
post #28 of 41

Thanks everyone. That does help. Here is the e-mail I have typed up, but not sent yet. Let me know what you think and why. Thanks!

(Sorry forgot to add, the ribbon was cheap paper ribbon that could have been cut.)

Hello,

I am sorry that you were not happy with your cake. Apparently there was some miss-communication when your order was placed. All the details of your cake were spelled out in your contract and then a sketch was done in the margin. All of these things we reviewed, and then you signed off on. I am attaching a scanned copy of the contract for you to review again.

To address some specific issues you had, the piping was to be above the ribbon and on the lower 1/3 of the cake. The piping couldn't have been any higher and still be on the lower 1/3 of the cake.

You stated, "if the ribbon was to wide it could be cut." I was able to fit the ribbon and the scrolls on to the lower 1/3 of the cake without any problems, so I didn't feel the ribbon needed to be cut. If you had known you wanted a skinny ribbon, then you could have cut it before you gave it to me, or said that you did want me to cut it down to a specific size, instead of saying "IF".

A cake in a picture is a starting point for your cake. You then specified changes to the cake to make it uniquely yours. When I make a cake, I go strictly by what is in the contract. I think you will agree, the cake does match the specifications of the contract.

I understand that with the pressures of planning a wedding it is sometimes difficult to remember all the little details of what was specified. I would like to resolve this situation with you. Please let me know what you think may rectify this situation.

Sincerely,

dominique26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dominique26 Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 7:37pm
post #29 of 41

I think your response sounds great. You were straight forward and polite and sounded very professional. I hope everything works out for you, please keep us posted.

jewelykaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelykaye Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 7:40pm
post #30 of 41

My only concern about that response is the ending.

"I would like to resolve this situation with you. Please let me know what you think may rectify this situation."

To me that sounds like an invitation to ask for a refund.

Maybe...

I would like to resolve this situation with you. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

I don't know...something like that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%