Would You Ever...????

Decorating By bthasns Updated 21 Jun 2007 , 4:37pm by springlakecake

bthasns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bthasns Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 4:28pm
post #1 of 89

Would you ever put blue roses on a cake??? My instructor and I have a little joke going. She informed me that you should never ever use blue roses on a cake, that it will make you non-credible. However, for my course 3 final cake I am using white buttercream as my base and I'm putting red and blue roses on it. I'm doing it to be funny as well as practical...I'm broke and can't afford new fondant and already have a TON left over from my package cake. So...what do you think??? Would you ever use blue roses on a cake, and feel free to let me know why or why not.
(P.S. I'm modeling this cake after what a friend of mine wanted a year ago for her 4th of July Wedding and the bakery refused to do.)

88 replies
alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 4:32pm
post #2 of 89

Absolutely - where you lose credibility is if you have a bride that wants blue roses and tell her no, sorry, they're not realistic. Sorry about your instructor. icon_sad.gif What a downer. If she says anything, tell her another WMI you know (me) told you it was OK. So there! icon_biggrin.gif

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 4:33pm
post #3 of 89

I'd put blue roses on a cake, I don't see a reason not to if that is what you wanted. I"m confused why a bakery would refuse.

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 4:34pm
post #4 of 89

Why not? We use all kinds of colored flowers that don't really appear naturally... why not blue? I see them all the time at the local grocery store, for things like a little boy's baby shower or something. And some people just like blue. icon_razz.gif I don't see where you lose credibility... if it's what someone requests, it's what they get. icon_razz.gif

jenbenjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbenjr Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 4:35pm
post #5 of 89

I don't understand.....why would you lose your credibility? I have put blue roses on cakes before per customers requests. I didn't have a problem with it and they seem to love them. So what's the big deal? icon_confused.gif

LucyintheSky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LucyintheSky Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 4:36pm
post #6 of 89

There is actually a rose called the "blue girl" rose... not a true deep blue or anything but a purply sort of blue... so you can tell THAT to your instructor!!
I say go ahead with the blue... If you've got it and need to use it, there's no reason why not!!

D77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
D77 Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 4:36pm
post #7 of 89

I put blue roses on my last class cake too. I never thought of it, why would it make you non-creditable? My instructor never said anything to me about it, and if a customer requested it what does it matter? icon_confused.gif Maybe I am there is something I don't know. Heck I have a blue rose tattoo (in memory of my mom, blue was her fav color and roses were her fav flower)

D77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
D77 Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 4:39pm
post #8 of 89

Oh and Wilton even shows blue roses. I bought a set of colors and on the box there were blue roses - that's why I bought the colors cuz I like the blue and pink roses.

BlueRoseCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueRoseCakes Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 4:40pm
post #9 of 89

I just had to chime in on this one. icon_wink.gif Blue Roses are the best (even if they aren't found in nature)!

How would that make you not credible? Because it's not realistic? So doing a cartoon character on a cake makes you not credible because it's not "real"?
Creativity is a good thing, any when it comes to cake, almost anything goes!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 4:40pm
post #10 of 89

I put blue roses on a cake, and it is one of my favorite cakes I have done so far.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=278243

BlueRoseCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueRoseCakes Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 4:42pm
post #11 of 89

Great cake merissa, love the butterflies too!

selahmycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
selahmycat Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 4:42pm
post #12 of 89

What is wrong with blue roses?!?!?!?!
LL

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 4:44pm
post #13 of 89

No, blue roses don't grow in nature and I wouldn't make them in icing or gumpaste. I would try to make the bride realize that and suggest she pick up the shade of blue in the wedding with Hydrageas, maybe alongside white roses, or blue ribbon.

jenbenjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbenjr Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 4:46pm
post #14 of 89

merissa.......I love that cake!!!! thumbs_up.gif

mrsmicbau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmicbau Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 4:46pm
post #15 of 89

For my parents' 45th (sapphire) anniversary, we had a huge sheet cake with dark blue roses on it. It was beautiful.. there was a problem with everyone's mouths turning BLUE!! Something to consider for a wedding... maybe a stripe of blue would be better. I hope this opinion helps..

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 4:49pm
post #16 of 89

I guess it depends on whether or not you want people to actually think they are real. Plenty of artists (in all types of mediums) dont go for realism. think of a world with no picasso or vangoh.....

gismo12002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gismo12002 Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 4:50pm
post #17 of 89

YES--Just did--for Fathers Day Cake!

fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 4:52pm
post #18 of 89

Oh heck, go ahead and use blue!! Whether it grows naturally or not. It's your cake! Have fun and run wild with it icon_biggrin.gif

Here's my Course 3 final cake with blue and purple roses http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=443683.

indigojods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indigojods Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 4:58pm
post #19 of 89

I am a bit of a blue freak, but regardless, I say you should not have to worry about making something realistic. It is fun to make cakes that are totally abstract. Black roses look awesome on the right cakes too and I don't recall those being natural.

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 5:03pm
post #20 of 89

I used blue roses on my Course I final cake. My instructor did not have a problem with it.

Go for it!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 5:03pm
post #21 of 89

Tell your instructor that blue roses do exist. My husband is going through a phase right now where he is planting all sorts of roses in our garden, and he has been researching them. Here is the link for wikepedia on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_rose
It said: after 13 years of joint research by an Australian company Florigene, and Japanese company Suntory, a blue rose was created in 2004 using genetic engineering.

chqtpi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chqtpi Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 5:04pm
post #22 of 89

i think blue roses are very pretty..especially if you are trying to make things a little more masculine...i did a baby christening cake where i put baby blue roses in the shape of a cross...the mother cried she like it so much! icon_smile.gif (heh-secret ambition..they cry if they REALLY like it..lolicon_smile.gif but I wouldnt have done it any other way...ill post the picture once i find it (just moved and there is cake stuff everywhere! lolicon_smile.gif

Jenteach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenteach Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 5:05pm
post #23 of 89

If you don't want to go with blue roses, couldn't you add your red and blue fondant together to get purple? Just a thought.... Perhaps there are no purple roses either...... icon_wink.gif

Jen

Les Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Les Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 5:06pm
post #24 of 89

I guess I'm not very realistic because I used royal roses on my Wilton III final and on a First Communion cake..ooops icon_smile.gif

8Tracie8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
8Tracie8 Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 5:08pm
post #25 of 89

Just had to add my 2 cents........ my Course 3 finale cake had blue roses on it also. Besides what your instructor says, isn't it the customer that decides what THEY want on the cake? If the bride wants blue roses, then by God give her blue roses!! thumbs_up.gif
LL

sandie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandie Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 5:09pm
post #26 of 89

When I got married a long time ago. My wedding cake have blue roses all over it. It was beautiful.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 5:15pm
post #27 of 89

If that's what the customer wants or the color I choose to use, yes I would make them blue. I'm not going to cancel an order because someone wants blue roses.

mdelmauro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdelmauro Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 5:19pm
post #28 of 89

I have used blue full roses and rose buds on many cakes. It is a manly color for birthdays and it is also many peoples favorite color (including me). I always steer people away from to much black or red on a cake due to coloring the mouth and teeth and because it gives the icing a different taste to use so much coloring to get deep shades. If you want blue roses - GO FOR IT!!!

DMCG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DMCG Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 5:24pm
post #29 of 89

If you want blue roses on your cake then put them on it! You're the one that's going to remember it more than your instructor will. Have something that you'll be happy to remember, than upset about having to do a color you didn't want to do.
I had a chef in school that HATED to have any blue icing anywhere in/on/beside a cake. It was a real joke after a while!

The biggest thing is to have fun with it! thumbs_up.gif

randipanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
randipanda Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 6:49pm
post #30 of 89

Interesting clip from the article on Wikipedia posted above:

Blue roses traditionally signify mystery or attaining the impossible. They are believed to be able to grant the owner youth or grant wishes. This symbolism derives from the rose's meaning in the language of flowers common in Victorian times.

Wouldn't using blue roses be neat on a cake for a 50th or 80th or 90th birthday or something to signify youth, or on a wedding cake to signify wishes. You could make a big deal out of giving one of the roses to the people who are close to you (and whatever is left over to whoever gets there first..) to give them a wish. Kind of a cool idea. I'll have to put that idea in storage until my daughter gets married (she's 3 now).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%