Huge Rose Tip...how Do You Do It?

Decorating By girltrapped Updated 13 Aug 2006 , 2:08am by loves2bake

girltrapped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
girltrapped Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 6:02pm
post #1 of 52

I purchased a huge rose tip and haven't had any success in getting it to work. I don't have it with me (at work icon_redface.gif ) so I don't know the number but it is identical to a 104 only the tip is about an inch or so bigger.

I use the stick method for doing roses. Is that my problem? Do I need to use the Wilton way? It just seems as if the frosting is so heavy when you get that much going on one rose it just starts to droop and fall...but it has to work right? I mean they make the tip! icon_cry.gif

Anyone have any experience with this tip? detective.gif

51 replies
girltrapped Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 6:07pm
post #2 of 52

I'm desperate....BUMP!

stylishbite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stylishbite Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 6:12pm
post #3 of 52

Could it be a 127 D? If so I use it to ice the cake top and sides. I would love to see someone attempt a monster rose with it though icon_lol.gif
I don't what the stick method is, but the Wilton way is very easy, with practice of course.If it's drooping, sounds like icing may be a bit too thin. You don't want it thick either, but heavy enough to hold it's shape.
HTH

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 6:17pm
post #4 of 52

I have that HUGE tip, but have never used it for a rose. I don't even know what you'd use for a base (1/4 cup of stiff BC??!!) LOL I'd love to see one of those big roses though!

alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 6:21pm
post #5 of 52

Now I'm feeling motivated. I have those tips, thought about making giant roses, but never have. I think I will now! I will NOT use the stick trick (directions on cake central), too heavy. Definately will use a flower nail!

stylishbite Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 6:24pm
post #6 of 52

Sorry I forgot, I have used Hershey kiss for center of rose before. It was great suprise for kids cupcakes. Easy to make too. The petels are easy to pipe, the center/base is the hard part, for me anyway. The white kisses might work well too. They make so many flavors and colors for Kisses now.

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 6:27pm
post #7 of 52

I'm not sure the kisses would be a large enough base for that monster rose-unless you are using the GIANT kisses! icon_biggrin.gif Please somebody try these and post them!

Katydidz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katydidz Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 6:27pm
post #8 of 52

That is the tip I use for ruffles and the like, also for doing some flowers on the cake but never a rose. If you make a giant rose please share. I wonder if you could start with a gumpaste center like you would for gumpaste flowers. Theres a thought...

stylishbite Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 6:36pm
post #9 of 52

party.gif I smell a challenge with an insulin dependent outcome icon_lol.gif
Any takers?? I'm making two cakes tonight, if I get bored icon_rolleyes.gif Well, We'll see.

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 6:38pm
post #10 of 52

I have one of these, but never used it..
Well for the base, how about using that giant Chocolate Kiss ?

Not the little tiny one for the little rose, but one of those
much bigger ones. Like we see on Valentines, sometimes there are those medium size ones also.
icon_smile.gif

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 7:05pm
post #11 of 52

Hmmm. Now I have the tip 127D and the smaller tip 127. I did make a giant rose, but now I can't remember which tip I used. But, what I did was, I just used the tip to make a base and I used my "plunger" portion of my push measuring cup (see here: http://www.pamperedchef.com/our_products/catalog/product.jsp?productId=210&categoryCode=KW) as my psudeo flower nail. If you look in my photos, the going away texas cake has a big yellow rose...[/url]

vicky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicky Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 7:44pm
post #12 of 52

I have used the extra large rose tip before. It was for a Spring Lady's Tea, brunch at a church fundraiser. I used the extra large 4 muffin pan ( You know the ones that are rounded at the bottom.) and used the cakes as the base. The rose cakes were used for individual cakes and they were a hit. They were a lot of work too.... ouch.gif I made over 50 of them. I made them the same way I would on the Wilton nail. They were beautiful for a spring brunch and they didn't even need table decorations, because the cakes looked like the decorations. It isn't difficult if you are good with the rose.
thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif Vicky

Rambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rambo Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 7:57pm
post #13 of 52

A lady in my CourseIII class did it. She worked at a grocery store bakery and was talking about how fast she had to be at work. We were practicing our ruffles and she whipped out a nail and I looked at the clock and the next thing I know she's showing me this gigantic rose. Never did see her do it or get a chance to ask what she used as a base. But it can be done. Maybe if my FBCT doesn't work out I'll try some big fat roses. LOL my 8yro nephew is expecting a Harley Davidson cake, don't think he'd be too impressed.

Vicky: Love the idea of a cupcake flower, definately on my try someday list.

girltrapped Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 8:03pm
post #14 of 52

All great ideas! Now one of each need to muster up some courage and start posting pictures of our monster roses!

sparkleshine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparkleshine Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 8:16pm
post #15 of 52

I want to see these monster roses! I only ever use that tip to make ruffles.

Rambo Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 9:31pm
post #16 of 52

Okay had some extra batter so I made up some cupcakes. After my cakes are done I'll try a rose. Problem is my usb cord has gone MIA, that's why there are no photos in for me yet. But I'll get my sister to take one (if I succeed) and have her send it to me. Probably won't be until Saturday evening. But I choose to accept the challenge. Actually I'm just way curious to see how hard it really is. thumbs_up.gif

girltrapped Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 9:39pm
post #17 of 52

I have every bit of faith in you. If you don't mind, would you take step by step photos so when it works you can post it for all of us curious CC users?

vicky Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 1:20am
post #18 of 52

Rambo,
If it is a regular cupcake, you'll have to sculpt it into a sort of sphere like that muffin pan. It comes to a point at the bottom and when you turn it over, it forms a good beginning base. I am looking for my photos for my roses. If I find one, I'll post it.
Good luck!!
Vicky

stylishbite Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 2:54am
post #19 of 52

Well here's a first. Here's my excuse first. My DH took to long to get the camera and it started to fall. It took about 3 cups of icing. I used a cup as the base, which was hard to spin. A big cupcake would work better I think, but boy what a sugar rush.
p.s. I was totaly icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif to the point of tears while I made this. My DH said 'WHAT ARE YOU DOING!', (which is what took him so long icon_mad.gif ) I told him I challenged my friends @CC to try this, and ended up getting a, I double dowg dare ya. So I had to.
LL

FlourChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourChick Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 3:59am
post #20 of 52

I used to work at a bakery that sometimes would use that tip to make monster roses. One of the women there had her husband make a monster rose nail out of a metal jar lid with a nail driven through it. It looked exactly like a rose nail, only, well, monster sized.

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 4:10am
post #21 of 52

It's actually not that bad. I can imagine how heavy it has to be. Couldn't walk away from a challenge....could you?!? I wonder what other challenges we can think up?

Momof3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof3boys Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 5:56am
post #22 of 52

Now THAT is one big rose!!! Looks pretty good actually!! That's a lot of icing!!

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 7:20am
post #23 of 52

You can make these with a larger sharpened dowel stick and stiffer BC.I use the stick method on all roses. I happen to think the roses are prettier. I originally learned the Wilton way, but always thought they looked like cabbages. Been using the stick 35 years.

Rambo Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 3:23pm
post #24 of 52

Well first attempt didn't go too well. Tried to sculpt a cupcake, too messy. So I got out a large marshmallow and squished it into a kiss shape and stuck a toothpick in the bottom, which would have worked really well except after I got started I realized I was working with Medium consistancy, all that was left. icon_sad.gif It ended up alot like stylishbite's only orange. icon_eek.gif But I'm making up another batch today for SIL's bridal shower cakes so I will save some stiff and try again.

Still can't find the USB cord, I'm afraid it got thrown into my DH's misc. cord box. icon_cry.gif But the rest of the family has theres so I will get it on here somehow. I so want this to work, they'd be so pretty.

vicky Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 3:21pm
post #25 of 52

Hi everyone, I finally got my husband to scan some of my cake pictures. Here are 2 pictures of my large roses and with them hyacinths. The photos aren't great but we did the roses in spring colors, blue, pink, yellow and I think lavender.
LL
LL

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 5:56pm
post #26 of 52

Wow! Those roses look great!!! icon_smile.gif That's a lot of icing!!!! icon_lol.gif

vicky Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 10:10pm
post #27 of 52

No, most of it is cake; I used the large 4 muffin pan from Wilton that comes to a point. Thanks

sprgirl1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sprgirl1978 Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 10:12pm
post #28 of 52

Wow! Those look great!

ennove11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ennove11 Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 10:24pm
post #29 of 52

There are actually some Wilton instructions for doing something similar to what vicky did and using the 127D tip. Hope this link works.
http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/yearbook/solitaryrose.cfm?section=yearbook&subsection=yearbook2004&tertiary=adddesserts

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 11:15pm
post #30 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky

No, most of it is cake; I used the large 4 muffin pan from Wilton that comes to a point. Thanks

Is it the mini Wondermold pan?
What did you use to spin it as you were doing the petals?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%