Marshmallow Cream Flow-In

Decorating By stephanie214 Updated 10 Jun 2005 , 1:39am by tcturtleshell

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 9 Jun 2005 , 12:30am
post #1 of 8

I was reading the Wilton 1994 Yearbook and came across this section,

Marshmallow Cream Flow-in:

It stays very shiny, tastes great and is easy to cut through. These deccorations will not dry hard as color flow will so they must be done directly on cake or cookies.

To Soften Marshmallow Cream:

Pan Method: Place about 1& 1/2 in. of water in a large skillet or electric pan. Depending upon design, set up to four jars of marshmallow cream (one for each color) into pan and bring water to a boil. For faster heating, fill jars only halfway. Add icing color as the cream softens, stir until color is well blended. Let simmer, then stir until cream is smooth. Leave jars in water while you're decorating.

Microwave Method:

Place the desired amount of marshmallow cream in a bowl. Add desired paste color. Microwave on high power for about 10 to 12 seconds, then stir. If not softened (the total time depends on quantity being heated) microwave again for 7 to 8 seconds more. After heating, stir until color is completely blended.

Caution: Marshmallow cream is very hot.

To Decorate:

Trace pattern on cake with a toothpick. Outline design with stiffened buttercream or royal icing (royal is preferred as the heat of the marshmallow cream may soften buttercream) and tip 3. Let outlines dry for 10 minutes or more. Place marshmallow cream in parchment bag and flow-in following color flow method. If marshmallow starts cooling and won't flow smoothly, simply microwave bags for about 7 to 8 seconds on high power. Any remaining cream in your bags can be stored in a zip-close bag and microwaved for 8 to 9 seconds.

I was wondering if anyone has tried this method and if so, what was the out come?

7 replies
tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 9 Jun 2005 , 2:36am
post #2 of 8

Sorry, never heard of it. I don't quite understand the directions. Do you color the MM cream? What kind of transfer did it show?

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 9 Jun 2005 , 2:49am
post #3 of 8
CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 9 Jun 2005 , 2:55am
post #4 of 8

I may have to try this...it sounds yummy and I like doing color flow so this looks like it's basically the same thing.

tcturtleshell Posted 9 Jun 2005 , 3:06am
post #5 of 8

Thanks for that Lisa. I didn't understand the directions. Now I do! I love MM's so this will be yummy!! I also love doing color flow. It's so neat & clean!

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 9 Jun 2005 , 3:11am
post #6 of 8

Sorry everyone, I forgot to add the mixing directions. I've done an edit and added it in.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 9 Jun 2005 , 11:14am
post #7 of 8

thanks, i think i will have to give this a try too. icon_lol.gif

tcturtleshell Posted 10 Jun 2005 , 1:39am
post #8 of 8

Thanks Stephanie!
That will be neat to try. I love color flow but it tastes like coloring gel to me. This will taste great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%