Fondant Taste

Decorating By AngD Updated 3 Aug 2006 , 2:13am by Cyndi1207

AngD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngD Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 11:52pm
post #1 of 12

I love the way fondant looks, but my question is taste? I am looking to make a baby shower cake for my sister in-law and loved the pregnant belly cakes. I want it to be a pretty cake but I want it to taste good too, and from what I remember fondnt isn't real nice to eat is it?

11 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 11:55pm
post #2 of 12

the ready to use Wilton fondant does not taste very good. There are several recipes for fondant here on this site and at baking911.com

You can also purchase ready to use fondant that is good, Satin Ice is one that is easy to find.

cookieman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieman Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 12:08am
post #3 of 12

This is probably one of the most asked questions icon_confused.gif on every cake board.

My answer--all commercially made fondants taste pretty bad; especially Wilton's. But once you decorate a cake or cookie with it, the bad taste pretty much disappears. I agree, Satin Ice is a very good brand. So is Pettinice.

I have never attempted to make my own fondant...way too much work for me!

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 12:45am
post #4 of 12

I know what you mean about the taste of Wilton, pretty bad! So I called Wilton and they told me to flavor the ready made fondant with their CANDY flavoring as it is oil based as opposed to the regular flavoring that is water based. I have used the raspberry and the nasty taste goes away. You might want to test it out for yourself. Best of luck to you and welcome to the Board! thumbs_up.gif

Rambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rambo Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 1:00am
post #5 of 12

I swore I would never like nor use the stuff after my classes, but then my instructor told me to use the candy flavor because you need less of it so it doesn't compromise the texture. Almond is pretty good and so is cheesecake flavor (just add a little at a time until it smells appetizing). The next hurdle for me and my family was the texture, kind of wierd to eat something gummy with a soft moist cake. But once you get a good flavor it's not too bad. My 4yro is constantly asking for a taste when I make roses.

cookieman Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 1:10am
post #6 of 12

Candy flavoring! icon_eek.gif Why didn't we think of this before? I can't wait to try it with the next batch of cookies I decorate with fondant.

redsoxgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redsoxgirl Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 1:10am
post #7 of 12

SATIN ICE! This fondant Actually tastes YUMMY! tastes buttercream-ish. i use it all the time now and i LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!

http://www.thebakerskitchen.com/CAKE_SHOPPE/Fondant_Gumpaste_%20Accessories/Rolled_Fondant_Icing/rolled_fondant_icing.htm

emilykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilykakes Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 1:13am
post #8 of 12

I dunno...I don't think that you should have to spend more money adding something to the Wilton fondant to make it taste okay. Why can't they just make it taste good???? I love MMF, it is SOOOO cheap and easy to make and I think it tastes great!

cookieman Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 1:20am
post #9 of 12

I agree with you emilykakes to a point...but when you are making a small batch of cookies and you don't have a tub of fondant nearby (I no longer have my business), a quick trip to Party City for Wilton Fondant is sometimes the best one can do. So if I have to spend a couple of extra $$ for the convenience, it's worth it to me. icon_smile.gif

pbertone1005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbertone1005 Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 1:30am
post #10 of 12

I just tasted Wilton fondant for the first time tonight and it's horrible. I definitely will be trying the MMF cause I like the fondant look. It seems most cakes I see in books or on the challenges are made with fondant so i guess i better try to find a good tasting one. Gotta go with the flow.

AngD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngD Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 2:01am
post #11 of 12

Thanks to everyone for there opinions, I also have another question. I have never worked with fondant as of yet, is it difficult, any suggestions? Like I said I am doing the belly cake, so I will be making a dress to overlap the body. Thanks everyone

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 2:13am
post #12 of 12

MMF all the way. The ingrediants are cheap.....it's easy to make and it tastes great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%