Relax

Decorating By bharbor Updated 17 Jun 2007 , 11:30pm by Granpam

bharbor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bharbor Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 1:37pm
post #1 of 13

My dd got married last week. It was a very small (20 people) wedding held at cabins in Georgia where our family has had reunions many times. I had decided to make a larger cake than we needed so we would have leftovers to eat during the week and also because I wanted her to have a nice cake. I worried about this cake for months, looking at every cake picture, studying flavors and practicing. I will post the picture later of the finished product. There are many, many flaws in my cake, but the things I learned from this are:

1. The bride has got a lot more on her mind than the cake.
2. Most of the time, other people there do not do cakes and will not notice the flaws.
3. The taste is more important than the looks. (everyone raved about the taste)
4. Put it in a pretty enough setting, any cake looks great.
5. Don't worry, be happy.

I am so glad this is over. DD says her wedding day was perfect and she was thrilled with the cake. New SIL says my chocolate cake was the best he ever had. This was a completely home made wedding. The preacher was a cousin and the violinist was a nephew, but it was a very happy day and my very flawed cake did just fine.

12 replies
buttercreamkisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercreamkisses Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 2:01pm
post #2 of 13

where is the picture? This thread is useless without a picture icon_smile.gif I'm sure your cake was fine and you're right for all the work we put into making and decorating the cakes no one else notices (they see chocolate and their eyes glaze over I think)

gailsgoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gailsgoodies Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 2:20pm
post #3 of 13

I think that's the best advise I've heard in a long time!! thumbs_up.gif I glad you had such a happy day and can't wait to see the pictures!

bharbor Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 10:29pm
post #4 of 13

I hope this works. I am trying to add picture from program I am not used to.[/img]
LL

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 10:37pm
post #5 of 13

It looks wonderful! I am sure it tasted heavenly as well! I'll bet just having your mom make your wedding cake is a wonderful feeling for daughter and mom as well! Congrats!

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 10:43pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailsgoodies

I think that's the best advise I've heard in a long time!! thumbs_up.gif !

i agree! and i also agree that a good tasting cake is very important, so way to go. what a peaceful setting for a wedding too!

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 10:58pm
post #7 of 13

Well said, I am going thru the same here in OK. A small wedding for my youngest son and soon to be daughter in law. I am doing a bigger than needed cake for the wedding and expect leftovers. I am starting to stress cause we at home know my work. I want his wedding as good as his brothers was. Which the brides mom afforded the best. While we here he can barely meet the ends. The brides mom is unemployed so the kids are paying for the whole thing themselves. We are doing homemade finger foods to go with the cake. I have to tell myself to relax.

melysa Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 11:01pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by doescakestoo

Well said, I am going thru the same here in OK. A small wedding for my youngest son and soon to be daughter in law. I am doing a bigger than needed cake for the wedding and expect leftovers. I am starting to stress cause we at home know my work. I want his wedding as good as his brothers was. Which the brides mom afforded the best. While we here he can barely meet the ends. The brides mom is unemployed so the kids are paying for the whole thing themselves. We are doing homemade finger foods to go with the cake. I have to tell myself to relax.

i had a humble wedding just like that! dont worry, put your heart into it, and the memories will be beautiful. money cant always buy happiness thumbs_up.gif

bharbor Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 11:13pm
post #9 of 13

Thankfully my daughter is no bridezilla. We would have been in big trouble if she was. A lot of things were very impromptu and were not perfect. We had food (we cooked steaks on the grill), but we forgot to appoint someone to cook them, so nobody started them for a while until someone got hungry enough to do it. The kids started jumping in the lake as soon as the ceremony was over, but at least they changed clothes first. Our dog was upset that he wasn't invited to the wedding and we could hear him crying from our cabin up the hill. The groom's parents showed up in jeans and I forgot to pack my teenagers dress pants, so he wore shorts. But it was fun and loud and at the end of the day there was a very happy bride and groom, so it all worked out. I was sorry I spent so much time worrying.

melysa Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 11:19pm
post #10 of 13

while fancy "proper" traditional weddings are nice , that wedding actually sounds very refreshing. keep it real , you know? your description helped me picture it perfectly, and i gotta tell ya, it sounded like a real fun time. mmmm, i want to grill steak for dinner now!

kakesbyrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakesbyrobin Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 11:20pm
post #11 of 13

That sounds like the best kind of wedding. thumbs_up.gif

Relaxed and enjoyable by everyone. icon_cool.gif

I bet she will have many wonderful memories from it.

That is my kind of wedding.

Angie707 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angie707 Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 11:21pm
post #12 of 13

Definetely good to hear... I was worried because I know Im a critic.

I worry about the cake makers that come to the wedding. I went to a wedding yesterday... and I didnt make the cake of course it was the first place I walked to. Talk about brownie points.. as Im looking... my husband leans over in my ear and whispers "you could do better then that while surfing the internet and reading a book at the same time"

Aww.. wasnt that sweet

sorry... hijack over

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 11:30pm
post #13 of 13

Your cake looks beautiful and your advice is stellar. I can relate also. My youngest got married with three weeks notice due to my SIL being sent to the ship he was going to after college graduation that was in the Persian Gulf. They had a larger cake than needed because it was the one she liked. They were married in the Grove at Ole Miss with the reception being a big college party at his place with hot dogs hamburgers and chicken on the grill. They guys wore white shirts and black shorts. You don't need fancy and expensive to have a nice wedding.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%