How Far In Advance Can You Make Fondant Decorations

Decorating By dlp Updated 11 Jun 2005 , 4:15am by SquirrellyCakes

dlp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dlp Posted 7 Jun 2005 , 1:24pm
post #1 of 13

I've been reading thru all the questions about doing things ahead...and it seems like for my daughters wedding the best thing to do is freeze the cakes (they will be cheesecakes) and cover them with fondant right before her wedding day. How far in advance can you make fondant decorations.....and do you prefer regular fondant or mmf. and one more question......what about gumpaste...i gather its not edible but something i could do in advance as well....but how far in advance?

thanks everyone for all your help.....my daughters wedding is in Aug....and the suggestions that you have already given me have helped so much...i dont feel like i'm in this all alone!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

12 replies
SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 7 Jun 2005 , 3:49pm
post #2 of 13

Hi there.
Fondant or gumpaste decorations can be made up well in advance. Are you talking about flowers and such? Flowers will keep several months, if not, years as will gumpaste ones. Just let them air dry and box them until you need them.
However, this is just my opinion, but I don't think I would cover cheesecakes with fondant. For one thing, the taste and texture with the cheesecakes. For another, the moisture content of the cheesecakes, once frozen and defrosted, the moisture would affect the fondant covering. Fondant is normally reserved for covering up dense firm cakes. To me, cheesecakes don't fit into this category at all. For another, cheesecakes need to be kept refridgerated and fondant covered cakes do not refridgerate well, for a long period of time. In fact most fondant experts do not refridgerate fondant covered cakes unless absolutely necessary because of the effect on the fondant. The only time they do is when they have to do to the filling. Chocolate fondant however refridgerates well.
Fondant decorations such as roses and such, do not refridgerate well either, they tend to slime or break down due to the moisture and condensation effects.
Perhaps you have done this before with some success. But I honestly cannot see a cheesecake being a good foundation for this application. Just my opinion.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

dlp Posted 7 Jun 2005 , 5:46pm
post #3 of 13

thanks Squirrelly Cakes......i appreciate all the info/advice....and yes i was talking about flower, roses, etc. what i plan on doing is trying several samples to see how they turn out.....and it may end up that i have to switch to regular cakes.....the problem is that my daughter looked online and saw several websites that had fondant covered cheesecakes for wedding cakes....and decided that is what she wants....do you think there is any difference in how mmf or regular fondant reacts to being refrigerated???

Calejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Calejo Posted 7 Jun 2005 , 6:28pm
post #4 of 13

I would find out what websites she found those on and try to see if they have any pointers as to how they did it.

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 7 Jun 2005 , 6:46pm
post #5 of 13

Make sure they were fondant covered and not chocolate covered. I can't imagine covering a cheese cake in fondant. The moisture would melt the fondant. Maybe even candyclay wold work for you.

Debbie

dlp Posted 7 Jun 2005 , 6:48pm
post #6 of 13

thanks calejo........i actually tried to do that...these were websites that you could only order a wedding cake...i even emailed one of them explaining my situation and asking for advice....but did not get a response....its so tricky with cheesecakes....if anyone has seen a website that might help...please let me know...awwwwwwwwwwww the things we will do for our children!!!!!!!!!

SquirrellyCakes Posted 7 Jun 2005 , 7:26pm
post #7 of 13

Well I know it can be done, but the finish on the fondant won't be the same. I think that mm fondant and regular rolled handle refridgeration about the same, likely the regular better because it is generaly rolled thicker.
I know some folks use rolled buttercream to cover cheesecakes and of course regular buttercream.
The thing is with the fondant you would have to work fast as the cheesecake once out of the fridge can get fairly mushy fast.
Auzzi comes on this site, at least she used to. Now she is quite an expert with fondant, so I am sure if you post a message to her or a message on the Wilton site to her attention, she will respond with some advice.
Are you certain that you were not seeing white chocolate candy clay or a fondant mixed with white chocolate or something like that? The candy clay is white chocolate mixed with corn syrup and it becomes a type of doughy covering similar to fondant in that you roll it out.
Also, the more decorations on it, the better as the sheen of the fondant wouldn't be as apparent.
It can be done, rest assured, just not with the same results you would get with regular cakes. Also, refrigerating the cake for the minimal amount of time would be a good thing, say 4-12 hours maximum. Make sure your decorations have dried for a good length of time, I would say about a week before placing them on the cake. This will prolong the period of time they hold up until they slime from the refridgeration. They will likely still look ok, at least for a day or so, but if you go to remove them they will be wet or slimey.
Haha and yes, you are right, the things we do for our children, haha!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

dlp Posted 7 Jun 2005 , 10:20pm
post #8 of 13

well you know what .....thecakemaker and squirrellycakes....you might be exactly right.......it had not even crossed my mind that it might be candy clay...............when i originally looked at the pics a year ago.....i just assumed it was fondant because of the smoothness.....but i think it did say something about chocolate (which i just assumed had something to do with the fondant)......you guys are great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and i will try to contact auzzi thru the wilton site......thanks so much!!!!

SquirrellyCakes Posted 8 Jun 2005 , 2:45am
post #9 of 13

Another thing that is extremely popular on cheesecakes is ganache or something that has been around for a long time, a chocolate/cream/butter icing that looks like ganache and is popular right now under the heading Sarah Bernhardt Glaze - new name for an old idea.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

caduchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caduchi Posted 10 Jun 2005 , 10:57am
post #10 of 13

Have you tried mixen tylose in your fondant, It's 1 pond fondant + 1/2 thsp tylose. This is for fondant and not for mmf. It makes it softer and more elastic like to work with, and you can make nice things with molds.
I learnd this last month when i went to a fondant class.
Hope this help in some way.

dlp Posted 10 Jun 2005 , 11:58am
post #11 of 13

thanks caduchi.....no i had not heard about that.....do you know if tylose is something that you can buy somewhere like Michaels...or do I need to find it online......i appreciate the suggestion ....i need all the help i can get......lol !

caduchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caduchi Posted 10 Jun 2005 , 9:41pm
post #12 of 13

Hi dlp,
I don't know if u can get it at Micheals, as i live in europe, but you can ask, as i bought my at the store lady were she gives her classes, and she also has alot of wilton stuff.
Good luck.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 11 Jun 2005 , 4:15am
post #13 of 13

You can get tylose online at www.sugarcraft.com
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%