Oven Temperatures

Decorating By charman Updated 6 Jun 2005 , 2:21pm by SquirrellyCakes

charman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charman Posted 6 Jun 2005 , 12:55pm
post #1 of 6

I tried my first Cake's Doctor's recipe this past weekend. Question I had was the Wilton pans I was using said over temps of 325 degrees...Cake Doctor recipe said 350 degrees...which one should I have followed? I went with 350 degrees, but seemed like it took a lot longer baking than it should have. I was using the sports ball pans on the top rake with cookie sheet, and had a 12 x 2 round on the bottom rack. What would guys do?

5 replies
thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 6 Jun 2005 , 1:04pm
post #2 of 6

It may have taken longer because you had another cake in at the same time. whenever I have more than one cake in the oven it takes a bit longer to bake.

Debbie

charman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charman Posted 6 Jun 2005 , 1:08pm
post #3 of 6

I figured that was probably the case, but even if I only had one cake in...which temp should I go use?

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 6 Jun 2005 , 1:11pm
post #4 of 6

I usually go a bit lower than the pan/recipe calls for anyway. When it calls for 350 I use 325 and let it bake a little longer so it bakes more even.

Deb

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 6 Jun 2005 , 1:31pm
post #5 of 6

I think any time you mix size and shape pans there will be a difference in baking time, and even more so when you bake on two racks. Those ball pans are so deep, they really take a long time, (I have the football pan) but definitely the oven temp should be set lower, otherwise they will cook too fast and the center won't be done!

My main experience was with baking two sets of the mini cake pans, the smallest baked so fast that I had to go in and take them out, then it seemed like the other layers sort of fell a little, I guess from having the oven opened.

Another time I had a 6" heart in with a 12" square, and didn't get the best results from either of them!

Janice

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 6 Jun 2005 , 2:21pm
post #6 of 6

I only bake in the middle of the oven on one rack. I find it does a much better job of baking evenly. I have a convection oven and have tried it but find it bakes better conventionally.
With the deeper pans like the ball pan, I bake at 325F as I find thqt the outer edges cook well before the centre does.
For pans larger than the standard 9 inch, I bake at 325 and I also bake all 3 inch deep pans at this temperature. I bake 6 inch in diameter or smaller, 3 inch deep cakes at 325F too.
I find the ball pans bake better down one rack position from the centre.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%