Newbie To The Boards....

Decorating By ms_magnolia Updated 6 Jun 2005 , 3:53am by tcturtleshell

ms_magnolia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ms_magnolia Posted 4 Jun 2005 , 7:05pm
post #1 of 11

Hello everyone. I am Melinda. I have just gotten back into decorating cakes (one under my belt) after years of using store bought (yuck) or store icing( ugh). My son is getting remarried in July and they want me to do the cake. The one the bride picked out is easy enough.

I have bought all the supplies for it and have my cake mixes. I even bought an extra A/C for my kitchen as we live in Mississippi in a mobile home and the kitchen can get very hot during the summer. I am thankful for this site as I learned a lot by lurking, especially about cake extenders. So, just to practice I made my son (the groom) his 25th B-day cake. I wish I had taken pics of it. All the family (ours and brides) raved over the cake. Roses werent perfect, but close. Icing was yummy. I did a 10" and 8" single layers and did a shell border and rose garden on top.

The cake they want is "Love Doves". I will be using 18" 14" 10" and top tier will be 6". I have read all about the doweling and using double or triple cake boards (which I didn't know) between the layers. Instead of using the real flowers the directions call for, I will be using a stiffer BC and making them myself.

I have been married almost 28 years to a winderful supportive man. I have 3 sons (25, 21 & 19). Husband and 21 y/o are over in Iraq right now due back home early next year. Son comes home on R&R next week. Husband had his early may. I also have my 2 grandchildren, almost 4 y/o boy and 2 y/o girl that I am raising for my oldest son as his ex tried to smother the baby girl when she was 4 months old. I have leagle custody of them so ex can not try any games with him. She didnt go to jail, went to mental institution instead and they couldn't help her. LOL

Sorry this got so long, I just wanted to introduce myself to everyone. I have seen soooo many beautiful cakes on here.

Melinda

10 replies
veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 4 Jun 2005 , 7:17pm
post #2 of 11

Hi Melinda, and welcome to Cake Central. Sounds like you are pretty well set to bake...all the help and information here make it so much easier! Keep us posted on your preparations, and next time you bake a cake be sure to take a photo, they are valuable as you progress! Janice

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 4 Jun 2005 , 9:11pm
post #3 of 11

welcome melinda. my hubby is in the airforce. he's a cop. he's gone for a few weeks to germany for training, then in a couple of months he'll be gone to iraq. this is his 15th or 16th time gone. i lost track because there have been so many. i worry about him going, but what can you do.

S_S_SweetTooth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
S_S_SweetTooth Posted 4 Jun 2005 , 11:22pm
post #4 of 11

Hi Melinda

Welcome, I am new here too and I can not begin to tell all I have learn. I think am hook, this is a wonderful place to learn things and share your cake ideas. I wanted to also ask you what part of Mississippi are you from? I too am from Mississippi. You have a great day dear, keep us posted.

S_S_SweetTooth

ms_magnolia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ms_magnolia Posted 5 Jun 2005 , 12:54am
post #5 of 11

S_S_SweetTooth, I am in Pearl River COunty near the coast. What area are you in?

Melinda

S_S_SweetTooth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
S_S_SweetTooth Posted 5 Jun 2005 , 1:48am
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_magnolia

S_S_SweetTooth, I am in Pearl River COunty near the coast. What area are you in?

Melinda

Melinda I am in Columbus Mississippi(smile). How far are we apart ? Do you know?

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 5 Jun 2005 , 1:50am
post #7 of 11

Welcome to Cake Central! Here you will find the most helpful, creative and talented people that you can ever imagine!

Joshsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joshsmom Posted 5 Jun 2005 , 12:12pm
post #8 of 11

Welcome, Welcome!
Next cake you make you must take pictures, we LOVE pictures!

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 5 Jun 2005 , 12:35pm
post #9 of 11

Welcome Melinda icon_smile.gif It's great to have you here ... this is a wonderful place to come for any questions , advice you may need regarding your cakes .. sounds like you're going to be busy in July making that cake! Remember to take pictures of it .. as stated earlier in this discussion, we just LOVE seeing photos icon_smile.gif) again, Welcome!!

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 6 Jun 2005 , 3:09am
post #10 of 11

I see that I am a little late joining the Welcome Committee, but welcome just the same! icon_razz.gif You sound like someone with a lot on her plate! Hope you can find a little relaxation while you chat with us. Looking forward to seeing pics!!

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 6 Jun 2005 , 3:53am
post #11 of 11

Welcome Melinda~ You'll love CC! Good luck w/ your son's wedding cake

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%