Need Some Support Here.......!!!

Decorating By TheCakeShak Updated 4 Jun 2005 , 11:37pm by S_S_SweetTooth

TheCakeShak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeShak Posted 4 Jun 2005 , 11:21am
post #1 of 13

icon_eek.gif HELP!!! I'm starting to go into a panic......Today is the day for that nightmare wedding cake I have to deliver and set up....I got it all finished yesterday to include creating the flower topper for this thing..The cakes have been sitting in the fridge....I made a 14"x2, 12"x2 and the topper cake is 8"x2(layers). I put the wood dowel rods in place in the 14" and 12". When I was finishing the icing on the 14" I noticed a small hairline type crack. I think I fixed it by putting extra icing and I figured with the cooling in the fridge,it should firm up good.

Now when I put the 12" ontop the 14", I plan to put a 10" cake cardboard on first, then the 12". The cake plate and pillars will go next, then the topper.

I went ahead and told the bride to go ahead and cut into her topper cake since I was going to make her a new one on her anniversary anyway.
There are dowel rods in the 12" also for support. Since I know these cakes will be heavy due to the filling.

Do you think I am going to have any problems with this cake? I mean esp with the 14"?? The crack was sorta towards the middle, and not close to the edge of the cake.

I am actually so scared that something is going to go wrong..But I kept telling myself, I did the best I could do and put dowel rods in , etc....

I have everything ready, extra buttercream, pastry bag is full with shell tip, extra everything....

Anyone live here in So. CA that might want to go with me for the extra support?? I have to start set up at 3P because I have to set the roses up on the cake...The thing starts at 5:30P

Oh my gosh, I have never been this scared!!!!!!

12 replies
ms_magnolia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ms_magnolia Posted 4 Jun 2005 , 11:52am
post #2 of 13

icon_biggrin.gif This is my first post on here, and I just wanted to let you know I am sending great cake set up thoughts your way.

ms_magnolia aka Melinda

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 4 Jun 2005 , 12:33pm
post #3 of 13

You'll do fine and i'm sure it will be beautiful! I get butterflies on all of my $$$ cakes. I made my first stacked/pillared cake last night for a 50th wedding anniversary - what a time to figure out how to dowel, stack and place pillars! I didn't even know how I was going to decorate it until I actually started to do it. It turned out beautifully and so will yours!

Good Luck (not that you'll need it)
Debbie

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 4 Jun 2005 , 12:39pm
post #4 of 13

Only good thoughts coming your way today! Janice

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 4 Jun 2005 , 1:34pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecakemaker

You'll do fine and i'm sure it will be beautiful! I get butterflies on all of my $$$ cakes. I made my first stacked/pillared cake last night for a 50th wedding anniversary - what a time to figure out how to dowel, stack and place pillars! I didn't even know how I was going to decorate it until I actually started to do it. It turned out beautifully and so will yours!

Good Luck (not that you'll need it)
Debbie

Debbie.. where are the pictures???

crash.. where is CA do you live??

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 4 Jun 2005 , 2:03pm
post #6 of 13

crashdummy2, I'm not sure how your cake is stacking, but if you just have a crack from your icing where it crust, you more than likely will cover that with the other cake that's going on top of it.. don't panic .. you can easily cover those if that's the case... if the crack is just in the icing and it's on the side of the cake, turn the crack to the back of the room and don't face it out where people can see it .. and believe me, your cake will turn out beautifully ... the crack won't even be noticed icon_smile.gif

TheCakeShak Posted 4 Jun 2005 , 4:04pm
post #7 of 13

icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_cry.gif Hey everyone,,thank you so much for the good thoughts, I will be taking them with me!!!!

Momof3,,I live in Riverside, CA.......
And the crack , the hairline crack was in the CAKE.....not the icing.....but that is why I put extra icing ontop and on the sides, so I figured I would turn this thing around to the back.....Heck,,it's going to be covered with the garland and the roses anyway.....I just want to make sure it doesn't come down or fall apart when I put this thing together....Ssshhheeesshh,,I can't even type today.....

My huby saw the cake and said, I shouldn't have any problems, and he reminded me that when he had to do the Marine Corps cakes, he too always got nervous,,it's a "just one of those things you can't avoid" nerves..He slightly touched the cakes and said, with the dowel rods in the cake and how I am going to put it together, it shoudl sit fine...

I've done wedding cakes before, but for some reason, this one is making me odd..I think it's because of my neighbor who is going to be there, you know that one who got mad because I wouldn't cut my prices for her neighbors..... icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 4 Jun 2005 , 4:43pm
post #8 of 13

Take a DEEP breath, Crash!! You are going to do JUST fine! The cake is going to be gorgeous and with all the dowling you have going--I'm sure it's going to be sturdy.

A hairline crack isn't going to make any difference--especially because it is in the center. AND, you have all that dowling, so the weight of the other cakes isn't really going to be resting on the 14" anyway.

I ALWAYS freak out when I have a big cake to do that is a paid gig! I think it's normal and when it's over, I always think "why was I so nervous?" It'll be just fine for you.

I can't wait to see pics!!

Hugs,
Lisa

TheCakeShak Posted 4 Jun 2005 , 5:06pm
post #9 of 13

icon_surprised.gif Hello Lisa.....thank you,,,I will be taking a deep breath...So you think I really don;'t have a prob with all the dowling in there eh?

I know I will be sure good and tired today.....But I will upload the pics when I get home.....I just looked at the roses in the bucket and they are just starting to bloom ever so slightly......they look so pretty and smell good too.....

But thank you again......so very very much.....ARe there others out there who run into probs like this too??

I mean I don't mean to make a big hoo haa haa,,Maybe I can just imagine me smashing a cake into my neighbors face while I am putting this thing together icon_evil.gificon_evil.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 4 Jun 2005 , 5:11pm
post #10 of 13

I usually have a problem or two with every cake I make. Nothing is ever perfect enough for me. But I've found that other people really like my work--even if I can point out every single flaw. (Of course I don't!! I learned that here!)

And about the neighbor!! Poohy on her!!! I hate people like that! I have a secret "friends and family" discount that I give (free!) but only for close relatives and friends. NOBODY else gets a discount!! Would you walk into a "regular" bakery and ask for a deal on the price???!!?? No way!!

You'll do great!! I can't wait to see pics and the roses sound like they are going to be just perfect for the reception!

Lisa

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 4 Jun 2005 , 6:27pm
post #11 of 13

As a backup plan...if anything, and I do mean any little thing, happens to the cake, just say that the neighbor did it! Janice

TheCakeShak Posted 4 Jun 2005 , 7:07pm
post #12 of 13

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
icon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gif

Hahaha....veejay....you really made me laugh......thanks I needed it.....
Sorry to sound like such a baby about this.............

crash.........

S_S_SweetTooth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
S_S_SweetTooth Posted 4 Jun 2005 , 11:37pm
post #13 of 13

crashdummy2

I am sure all the rest have said it all, But in my heart I know it all will be just fine. Be sure to let us see the picture when you have a chance please(smile). Just take a deep breath, hold your head high and be proud of your work. you did your best and thats all that matters.

S_S_SweetTooth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%