Teired Cakes Question

Decorating By rudoo Updated 3 Jun 2005 , 4:11am by SquirrellyCakes

rudoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rudoo Posted 3 Jun 2005 , 2:56am
post #1 of 5

When you make a teired cake-say 10", 8" & 6" on top- how many layer do you use per size? Some cakes look high like they have 3. Or are they usually just 2 that are thick?

4 replies
ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 3 Jun 2005 , 3:07am
post #2 of 5

If I do a tiered cake it's usually 2 - 2" layers together... or one 3" layer ... I've never done one higher than that, but I'm sure they've been done b4 icon_smile.gif

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 3 Jun 2005 , 3:25am
post #3 of 5

Ntertayneme (missed you lady!) is 100% right!

I like to use 3" pans~ I hate having to try to get the 2-2" pans completely level. It's a big problem I have.

I would never make a cake thicker then that. I would be afraid it was fall over.

magentaa23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
magentaa23 Posted 3 Jun 2005 , 3:28am
post #4 of 5

my cakes are 2 layers that i cut in half so there are 3 layers or filling and 4 layers of cake... each tier ranges from 6 -8 inches high sometimes.. iv done higher ones even at my old job

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 3 Jun 2005 , 4:11am
post #5 of 5

Haha, the big issue with how high the cakes are, is if the cake plate is going to be big enough! Pretty soon we will be serving up cake on meat platters!
I usually do two, 2 inch high layers or one, 3 inch high layer, torted and filled. Seriously though, I have done two layers of three inches deep each, filled. This makes it a little harder for the servers to cut and generally they need to cut the pieces larger so they don't present a problem when serving.
For one wedding I did that I attended, the servers did a fantastic job of cutting the cake and cut nice large pieces, like I would have done. Funny thing is everyone ate the whole piece, I would have thought at that size they would have left half on the plate.
But I did note that the cake took up almost the whole plate, so that can be a big drawback.
One thing to note would be to have the bride-to-be inquire as to how large the cake plates will be. I think they are usually around 6-7.5 inches in diameter.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%