Fondant Rose Problems

Decorating By anoldhippy Updated 24 Feb 2007 , 8:10pm by jmt1714

anoldhippy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anoldhippy Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 12:41am
post #1 of 11

I just had my 2nd class of the 3rd Wilton class. Im the only one who showed up so its like private lessons..anyway She showed me how to make the fondant roses and of course at class everything went ok...She showed her awesome flowers and said to try and roll the fondant as thin as I could to make the leaves more delicate. I wasn't rolling them as thin as in class and on EVERYONE, when I put the toothpick in the center of the flower, brushed with vanilla and tried to fold up around center or previous rows, the center tears and stretches so much I cant even keep it up next to the "bottom". icon_cry.gif

10 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 2:02am
post #2 of 11

it is difficult to make thin petals using pure fondant. I am guessing that you may be using too much moisture on the petals. If the fondant is moist, you might not even need to brush the petals with vanilla.

Try letting the petal dry slightly before you try to attach it to the flower. that will help the petal hold its shape. Then, add just the slightest bit of moisture to stick the petal on the flower.

Good Luck.

mymichelle04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mymichelle04 Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 3:38am
post #3 of 11

Are you letting the base dry very well before starting with the petals? And you also need to let the flower dry between layers. What I do is start the bases a day or two in advance. Then working with about ten or more, I do one layer and move on to the next base. By the time you get to the end, the first flower you start with will be ready for it's next layer. Hope that helps.

koolaidstains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koolaidstains Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 6:13am
post #4 of 11

I was just thinking of posting about how loooooong it takes to make these things. The course 3 I'm taking is only over a two weeks period so I don't have as much time and I underestimated how long it would really take.

What I've found so far is that I don't make the first cut out as thin. It seems to hold it's shape much better. You can even thin out just one arm and one leg (using wilton's terminology) and make those the last to go on the rosebud. I too started making the whole flower and after just a couple realized it would be eaiser to let them dry between layers so now I'm just making a bunch of rosebuds and then will go back and add the next layer, let dry and do the last. You can thin out the next layers more because they have more to grab onto. Definately go easy on the vanilla. I'm using vodka on mine and it's working very well.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 8:43pm
post #5 of 11

Did you add the gumtex to your fondant?

Also as said before you really only need a very small amount of vanilla to attach your petals. Too much vanilla will cause the fondant to start to break down and will make it alot harder to work with. I also agree that letting the roses dry some between layers does help. You are able to work with that row with out having to worry about squishing the other latyer.

anoldhippy Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 1:53am
post #6 of 11

I bet I was using too much vanilla...ya know the more the better theory icon_rolleyes.gif I will also try to let them dry a tad.
Thanks again everyone thumbs_up.gif

mrsright41401 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsright41401 Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 2:01am
post #7 of 11

Here is a little technique that TOTALLY helped me. You know the pink foam thing that comes with your Wilton 3 kit? Okay. after I cupped the rose petal layer I was working, I'd leave it on the pink thing and stick the toothpick THROUGH THE PINK THING. It gave me great support, and then with it still on there, I'd fold up my petals tilt hey were stuck on and then I'd take it off the pink thing and furl them and stylize them more. It was a GREAT help.

anoldhippy Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 2:41am
post #8 of 11

WOW GREAT IDEA-going to try that tomorrow-after I attempt the petunias, morning glories in royal icing from Class 3. She is going to show me how to do carnations too so I can surprise my daughter for her bridal shower cake

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 10:39am
post #9 of 11

Hi, I'm a bit confused reading how you do your roses -doesn't sound like the way i do mine icon_confused.gif ( not saying it's wrong - just different ! icon_smile.gif )
I use flowerpaste/gumpaste because you can roll it really thin w/out tearing ; i leave my rose cones to dry completely before i put petals on & i put all petals on (being flowerpaste they dry pretty quickly ) I stick them on with a bit of water..never heard of using vanilla before ! what's the advantage of that ? and what do you use the toothpicks for ? icon_redface.gif I'm just curious & would love to see what they look like ...

julie icon_biggrin.gif

mrsright41401 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsright41401 Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 2:21pm
post #10 of 11

They are talking about is the Wilton rose taught in the Course 3 class. Instead of individual petals they use 3 sizes of 5 petal cutters.

Rachel

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 8:10pm
post #11 of 11

And I use egg white as my glue. Everyonehas a slightly different take, i think.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%