Gum Paste Flowers

Decorating By Myesha Updated 6 Jun 2007 , 3:55pm by Fairytale

Myesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Myesha Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 4:20pm
post #1 of 10

Hello. My name is Myesha and I'm new to this site (today is my second day) and I'm fairly new to cake decorating. I want to learn how to make the gumpaste flowers. What is a good way to learn? I checked at JoAnn's and I know they offer a class, but is this how most of you learned?

9 replies
cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 5:11pm
post #2 of 10

I took A wilton class which didn't actually teach many flowers but it did teach a couple (carnations, daisies and fantasy flower). It gave me a feel of how to appraoch gumpaste. I then bought and borrowed books (library) and have been experimenting on my own. There are a lot of books out there with pretty good directions once you know which tools are used for which results!! i would still love to take some more advanced courses but there just aren't any remotely close to where I live.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 5:15pm
post #3 of 10

Wecome to Cake Central. While there are excellent books on gumpaste flowers, one of the best ways to learn is from a video. I can highly recommend any of the Videos offered at nicholaslodge.com

He is a detailed, careful teacher. You will get excellent results, and they are affordable.

Myesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Myesha Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 8:30pm
post #4 of 10

Thank you both for the information. I'm going to check out the video and get some books. Thanks.

drwendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drwendy Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 2:03am
post #5 of 10

I have taught myself from books which husband gave me for Christmas. I buy the gumpaste ready made in a little pouch and just try stuff. Most of my flowers thus far have looked kinda "special" (as in, special olympics), but I'm getting better. Just practice a lot before you have an occasion to need them, because the first 30 or so are not beautiful. Be sure to get the good rolling foam and a ball tool. I suggest starting with Sweet Peas....they're pretty simple and not heavy. Have fun and try not to get frustrated with the ugly ones!

Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 2:24am
post #6 of 10

I'm self taught. I like English books in particular. There is a pic of the cake I am working on right now. The flowers, basked, and sea urchin shell are all GP. I make my GP using the Nick Lodge recipe. It's great. Good luck.
LL

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 2:27am
post #7 of 10

This is a very good book on gumpaste flowers by Nicholas Lodge: http://www.internationalsugarart.com/cgi-bin/store/shop.cgi?ud=UjBaOUk4VVRDViUlJSUlJTExODEwOTY3ODAA&storeid=1&sortby=categories&cols=1&categories=0003&&c=detail.htm&itemid=BBB

It has very clear instructions, lots of pictures and templates.

drwendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drwendy Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 3:42pm
post #8 of 10

Oh, Fairytale...I love the big peony! Did you do it from cutters or freehand?

Audraj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Audraj Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 3:53pm
post #9 of 10

I have taken a few classes and I also have some videos and some books. I learned the most from the few classes I have taken, and I also learned a lot from videos. I think watching each step all the way through was very helpful. After that, it was much easier to see what was going on with instructions from books.

Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 3:55pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwendy

Oh, Fairytale...I love the big peony! Did you do it from cutters or freehand?

Thanks. I like peonies too. I did it with a cutter I bought from global sugar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%