Smelly White Cake

Decorating By Steady2Hands Updated 18 Jul 2006 , 1:51am by twinsline7

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 9:52pm
post #1 of 25

I hear a lot of people say that they love white cake.

I stay away from white cakes if I can because they seem to have a strange odor (similar to spoiled milk). I do not even use milk in my cakes or icing. I have tried two name brand packaged mixes and they both have the same odor. When I have a white cake order I don't make it until the day before which can put a lot of pressure on me.

Does anyone else have this problem? Does anyone have a solution?

24 replies
Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 9:58pm
post #2 of 25

Nope. No smelly white cake here. icon_wink.gif

MissT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissT Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 10:00pm
post #3 of 25

I've used DH white cakes with no problem. No smells.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 10:02pm
post #4 of 25

Sorry, I never noticed an odor. I love white cake.

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 10:05pm
post #5 of 25

No odor here. How are you storing the boxed mixes?

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 10:07pm
post #6 of 25

I LOVE white cake! I've never noticed any odor with mine. I use cake mixes.

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 10:08pm
post #7 of 25

I have never had a problem either! That is really weird. I always add a teaspoon of vanilla to mine so maybe that would help with the oder.

twinsline7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsline7 Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 10:10pm
post #8 of 25

this is going to sound like a dumb question....but are you talking about the batter or the actual baked cake? .....and if baked do you mean right when its baked or like the day after?

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 11:26pm
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady2Hands

I hear a lot of people say that they love white cake.

I stay away from white cakes if I can because they seem to have a strange odor (similar to spoiled milk). I do not even use milk in my cakes or icing. I have tried two name brand packaged mixes and they both have the same odor. When I have a white cake order I don't make it until the day before which can put a lot of pressure on me.

Does anyone else have this problem? Does anyone have a solution?

Nope, I don't have this issue so I can't help.

Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 11:29pm
post #10 of 25

I also use DH white or BC Golden Vanilla and never smelled anything. Actually, I really like the smell of it. No idea why you're getting a bad smell. Maybe you're alergic to something in it?

denise2434 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denise2434 Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 11:52pm
post #11 of 25

I use DH white cake all the time and I never noticed a smell. I love white cake...yummy!!

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 12:06am
post #12 of 25

I think white cake is sort of weird-smelling too...I have never cared for white cake and rarely bake it unless pressed by a client to do so.

But recently, I tried the White Almond Sour Cream cake recipe here on CC, to test it for an upcoming wedding cake. And it was FABULOUS!

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 12:15am
post #13 of 25

maybe you're just extra sensitive to the milk? especially if you don't use any

ASupergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ASupergirl Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 12:17am
post #14 of 25

I notice the weird smell alllllllllllllllllll the time. No matter what type of white cake it is. The only time where I think it is less noticeable is in the form of cupcakes. The batter never smells to me....but I really don't like a white cake......I have no idea what it is, but it sometimes just makes me want to pay homage to the porceilin god after smelling it. I think it may be something with the eggs???? I don't know. I may try adding the vanilla thing. But I am a chocoholic to begin with so I usually just do a chocolate one anyhow....So my CCers what is this we smell????

aggiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiecakes Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 1:22am
post #15 of 25

Well, next time I bake a white cake I guess I'll have to really smell it to see if I notice anything. I have only done 2 white cakes thus far and have not noticed anything, but then again, I really did not get too close - that's got my curiosity up! I think I'll go bake a white cake.

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 1:30am
post #16 of 25

its probably the perservatives, artificial flavors, etc. in the mixes that you are smelling, i've heard others complain of it as well.

rhondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhondie Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 1:54am
post #17 of 25

Funny, could it be an illness? Sinus infection? or is this an on-going whitecake smell? I once had a bad sinus infection (yuck) and the smell of anything strawberry repulsed me. I couldn't eat anything strawberry either. Just a thought.

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 2:09am
post #18 of 25

It may be that you are ultra sensitive to the preservatives in the cake mix. I too have tried the sour cream almond cake recipe on this site and really love it. Best of luck to you!

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 3:22am
post #19 of 25

I noticed it once when I made a scratch white cake, not a box mix. I brought it to my classroom (high school) and by third period one of the students commented that "It smells like butt in here." (Sorry!) Someone recently posted about a bacteria test she did with box vs. scratch; it's almost convinced her to use box mixes only! I think that scratch cakes are designed to be eaten 1-2 days after baking, no later. Try adding a simple syrup to help preserve it; that might help.

Dale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dale Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 3:25am
post #20 of 25

Never warm your hands in your underpits before baking.

yudyspad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yudyspad Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 3:48am
post #21 of 25

Someone was talking about smelly cakes a few days ago. There was a lot of talk about if you are in a humid area that the cakes take on a "smelly" fume. Maybe that is it. I live in the south and white cake is my most requested cake. I never notice a bad smell just a "wish I didn't have to give this to someone else so I could eat it" smell.

rexmel7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rexmel7 Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 4:00am
post #22 of 25

i smell a not so pleasant fume once in while. kind of alco-holly... have no idea what it is but cake still tastes fine, i think...

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 4:11am
post #23 of 25

I seem to have an aversion to cakes made with sour cream. (But not the cake mix versions.) In a scratch cake I so much prefer a cake made with buttermilk.

But it's more a taste thing with me, not as much a smell.

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 4:13am
post #24 of 25

Thanks for all the comments. The batter smells delicious and the cake tastes delicious the 1st and 2nd day. After that ~ Yuck! But I make my strawberry cakes with the same white mix and add strawberry Jell-o and fresh/frozen strawberries and it's delicious for about a week. My yellow cakes last for a week without refrigeration.

Dale ~ I'll take your advice LOL icon_lol.gif LOL icon_lol.gif LOL

I'm going to try the recipe SugarFrosted mentioned.

twinsline7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsline7 Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 1:51am
post #25 of 25

Im VERY VERY sensitive to whats in cake ......but not just white....or just mixed or scratch....

its allof them.....

they all go straight to my *** !! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%