Graduation Cap?????

Decorating By KhymStacy Updated 1 Jun 2007 , 1:37am by miriel

KhymStacy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KhymStacy Posted 31 May 2007 , 6:05pm
post #1 of 6

What is choc. mortar board? Some of you have beautiful grad. caps and you refer to mortar board to make them. Help? Need to make some for this weekend. I am fairly comfortable using fondant and was going to cover cardboard for the top of the cap and then use a styrofoam ball covered with fondant for the base. Any suggestions?

5 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 31 May 2007 , 8:05pm
post #2 of 6

The 'mortar board' is the flat part of the cap. It can be made from chocolate, or candy clay. Your plan for covering cardboard would probably work fine.

KhymStacy Posted 31 May 2007 , 10:50pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks for your help, JoAnnB!!!!! After reading other posts about boards I think I may use foam core. If I did do chocolate how is that done?

KhymStacy Posted 31 May 2007 , 10:52pm
post #4 of 6

One other thing, will the candy clay "sag" if the cake is outside, about 75 degree mildly humid, but in the shade cooler.

drwendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drwendy Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 1:02am
post #5 of 6

I would be very afraid to do chocolate for outside...you don't want a saggy cap! What about making a square of pastillage in advance and drying it out to be the mortar board? It's pretty dense once it's dry. Gumpaste would also work but it would take a lot of gumpaste and at least a week to dry thoroughly enough to be rigid. Good luck!

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 1:37am
post #6 of 6

I second the call for a pastillage mortar board. It dries much quicker than fondant or gumpaste. I'd even make the tassel out of pastillage as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%