Writing - Before Or After?

Decorating By jessireb Updated 9 Jul 2006 , 2:16pm by MikeRowesHunny

jessireb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessireb Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 2:44am
post #1 of 17

When do you write on your cake? Do you do it before you decorate or after you decorate? My Wilton teacher told us to write on the cake first then decorate. In a way I can understand that and then I don't.

16 replies
Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 2:48am
post #2 of 17

I guess it makes sense to do the writing first but I always do it after.

kakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedecorator Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 2:53am
post #3 of 17

Yes wilton instructors teach to do the writing first. The reason for that is that sometimes when you get your cake all decorated you don't always have enough room for the message. I tell my students to invision their completed cake in their head so they can see where they want the message to go. After you have been decorating cakes for a while it will get easier. I joke with my students that if they are decorating a cake when I am watching to do it my way but when they are at home do what is easiest for them. LOL

Molliebird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molliebird Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 2:55am
post #4 of 17

My Wilton instructor told us also when writing and decorating, just to make sure we have enough room to write what we need to on the cake. I think it's a matter of preference myself.

jessireb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessireb Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 3:01am
post #5 of 17

I always thought doing last would be the way, but I guess you need to make sure you have enough room.

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 5:14am
post #6 of 17

My writing is not that great, so I do it first in case I have to level it back out and start again (which is a bit). It's getting better though.

emilykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilykakes Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 1:02pm
post #7 of 17

I do my writting last, probably because it is my least favorite part and that is the way my mom always did it. I should switch it though. My writting is really bad and I usually end up scraping it off a few times. I don't know why but it never occurred to me to do it first. icon_confused.gif

cakefairy18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy18 Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 1:59pm
post #8 of 17

BEFOREEEEEE

everytime i forget and i have to do it after i regret it..i have to watch out for flowers, borders, pictures...whatever...if u do it first, u have a blank slate...gives you space to move your bag ans tip to make the writing come out nice and then u decorate around that...i'm not saying write all over the place..u still have to know where everythings going...but when u write on an undecorated cake, i think its easier

2cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2cakes Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 2:55pm
post #9 of 17

I do my writting before so that I do not smear the borders with elbow or blouse if it come in contact with it, but that is just me. icon_smile.gif

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 4:18pm
post #10 of 17

Wow, I always do the writing last (my least favorite thing). That's probably why I do so many cakes with the tops heavily decorated that there is no room to write anything! It is probably a good idea to write before and I will start practicing my writing so that it looks half way decent! Best of luck to you.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 9 Jul 2006 , 2:58am
post #11 of 17

I do my decorating, then my writing, then the border last. In most of my cakes, the writing isn't as important as the picture. And I almost always PRINT, not write, I have better control matching the size of each letter to the last one.

Kazoot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kazoot Posted 9 Jul 2006 , 3:02am
post #12 of 17

I have always decorated, write, then border. Don't know why......LOL icon_lol.gif

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 9 Jul 2006 , 3:04am
post #13 of 17

I try not to have to write on my cakes...a lot of times I will do the writing on a larger cakeboard! If I must write on it...I usually do it last! icon_smile.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 9 Jul 2006 , 3:08am
post #14 of 17

I used to do the writing last...it was plain and compact(trying to avoid the decorations.
I now(thanks to Wilton instructor, SF) do my writing first. For the same reasons as cakefairy18 and 2cakes stated, I feel it is better.

dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 9 Jul 2006 , 12:43pm
post #15 of 17

I always do my writing after - to me the decorations are the centerpiece, and the design is the most important -the words I will fit in wherever they fit later. I suppose on a sheet cake type cake it would be different, and then writing first would make sense. I guess each person finds their own technique!

funkychica1_2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funkychica1_2004 Posted 9 Jul 2006 , 2:07pm
post #16 of 17

I've tried doing it both ways and I've decided that it really doesn't matter either way so long as you have enough space to finish your decorating and enough space for the writing.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 9 Jul 2006 , 2:16pm
post #17 of 17

I prefer to do any top decoration first, then the writing, then the borders and side decs if I'm doing them, I've run out of writing space too many times when leaving it until last!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%