Hi Ratio Shortening

Decorating By brookej01 Updated 30 May 2007 , 8:42pm by zoraya

brookej01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brookej01 Posted 29 May 2007 , 4:12pm
post #1 of 14

is there a secret to using it instead of regular crisco...

13 replies
LizAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizAnn Posted 29 May 2007 , 4:17pm
post #2 of 14

I recently started using it and I've found it takes about one-half the amount of hi-ratio as it did Crisco. I double the Wilton recipe so I used 4 c. Crisco, but find that with the hi-ratio (Alpine) I use 2. or maybe a bit more

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 29 May 2007 , 4:26pm
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizAnn

I recently started using it and I've found it takes about one-half the amount of hi-ratio as it did Crisco. I double the Wilton recipe so I used 4 c. Crisco, but find that with the hi-ratio (Alpine) I use 2. or maybe a bit more

Where do you buy the Alpine and how does it come 3lb, 4lb?

LizAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizAnn Posted 29 May 2007 , 4:28pm
post #4 of 14

I buy it at bakerskitchen.com It comes in a 50 lb. cube, but you can also buy it in 1 lb. cubes, but it's much more expensive that way. They also carry Sweetex. Have you tried the WalMart brand of shortening ? I've used it recently and my icing turned out great ... just make sure it has trans-fat...don't know if they've changed their formula, but I don't think they have

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 29 May 2007 , 4:31pm
post #5 of 14

http://www.cakewalkchicago.com/retailstore.htm

This place is in chicago and I think they had it for 52.00 for a 50# block. They also have smaller amounts. I wanted to order some but it would have cost 82.00 to ship to California

tyty Posted 29 May 2007 , 4:44pm
post #6 of 14

Thanks for your answers LizAnn and Dolfin. I've been to cakewalk but never inquired about shortening. I'll live them a call then I won't have to pay shipping.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 29 May 2007 , 5:14pm
post #7 of 14

Hi-ratio is more concentrated than Crisco, that's why it costs more, and why you can use less (with better results).

cakemanohio recommends using hi-ratio at the rate of 1 cup per 2 lbs. (8 cups) of powdered sugar.

I agree; if you substitute hi-ratio for Crisco at a 1:1 ratio, the resulting frosting is cloying. (Like trying to eat sweetened butter.)

Sweetex can be special ordered at Gordon Food Service (GFS, or online at the Baker's Kitchen (with extremely reasonable shipping < $16.00).

For everything you ever wanted to know about hi-ratio shortening, including recipes on how to use it:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-219731.html

HTH

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 29 May 2007 , 5:21pm
post #8 of 14

I use hi-ratio at 1c per lb of pwd sugar. That's what I've used on my last few cakes in my gallery and it works, crusts, tastes, smooths great!

Debbie

brookej01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brookej01 Posted 30 May 2007 , 12:25pm
post #9 of 14

thank you all so much. we have a gfs about an hour away so i think i'll give them a call...wedding cake to do in a couple weeks and since crisco is going trans fat free...i'm worried i'll run out

zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 30 May 2007 , 12:46pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

or online at the Baker's Kitchen (with extremely reasonable shipping < $16.00).
HTH

JanH - is the website bakerskitchen.com? I went to that one but theres no online ordering info.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 30 May 2007 , 6:20pm
post #11 of 14

zoraya, here's a link to the hi-ratio:

http://tinyurl.com/3dmvgj
(From www.thebakerskitchen.com.)

Also, here are some hi-ratio recipes:
(Along with way more hi-ratio recipe ingredients info...)

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-219731-.html

HTH

tyty Posted 30 May 2007 , 6:25pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

Hi-ratio is more concentrated than Crisco, that's why it costs more, and why you can use less (with better results).

cakemanohio recommends using hi-ratio at the rate of 1 cup per 2 lbs. (8 cups) of powdered sugar.

I agree; if you substitute hi-ratio for Crisco at a 1:1 ratio, the resulting frosting is cloying. (Like trying to eat sweetened butter.)

Sweetex can be special ordered at Gordon Food Service (GFS, or online at the Baker's Kitchen (with extremely reasonable shipping < $16.00).

For everything you ever wanted to know about hi-ratio shortening, including recipes on how to use it:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-219731.html

HTH

I called GFS today, and they did have cake shortening listed. Is that what I'm looking for? The person I talked to said if I could get the 6 digit GFS number that would be great. He said it was 50 lbs for $44.49. Before I place an order I need to know if I'm ordering the right thing.

heiser73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heiser73 Posted 30 May 2007 , 7:04pm
post #13 of 14

I'm actually ready to try the hi-ratio shortening! I just have one question..are all hi -ratio shortenings created equal? I know some people use Sweetex and Alpine, but what about the hi-ratio from country kitchens or sysco that don't seem to have a brand name? Are they just as good or should I just stick with the sweetex or the alpine?

zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 30 May 2007 , 8:42pm
post #14 of 14

Thanks JanH, I was leaving out the "the" in the web address.

heiser73 - I bought my hi-ratio from countrykitchensa.com. It wasn't a name brand, don't remember what the box said. It seemed to work fine for me. Only thing I noticed and I'm not sure if its the hi ratio or the new crisco causing it, is that I have to stir my icing back up if it sits for a few days becuase some liquid seems to seperate out. I do a 1/2 crisco, 1/2 hi ratio mix for my icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%