Making Icing With Hand Mixer?

Decorating By valhalla31 Updated 7 Jul 2006 , 2:31am by missyjo30

valhalla31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valhalla31 Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 7:35pm
post #1 of 29

I am just getting back into cake decorating after a long break. I don't want to put out too much money and then find I am still not interested. I don't own a KA mixer or any stand mixer for that matter. I have a B&D hand mixer, will that be good enough to make my butter cream frosting with? I remember when I did cakes before that I never was really happy with my frostings because I found them very heavy and sweet. Maybe it was because I didn't have a proper mixer to make them fluffier, or was it just the recipe I was using (Wilton's I believe)? Will it be possible to make the marshmallow fondant recipe with a hand mixer? Thanks for your help.

Robyn

28 replies
fuzzykoala22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fuzzykoala22 Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 7:43pm
post #2 of 29

It doesn't hurt to try and make a batch of buttercream using your hand mixer. I don't own a Kitchen Aid either; I only have a cheap stand mixer from Wal-Mart. It works fine, but I have found that I can only make one batch of icing at a time. A double batch seems to put too much stress on the motor. I beat my icings for about 10 minutes on low, so I don't think I'd use my hand mixer for that because I'm not sure I'd want to hold it for that long, but it may work for you. I've never made MMF, but from what I see in the instructions, you either have to have a Kitchen Aid or beat it by hand with a big spoon icon_biggrin.gif Good luck!

Cinderella24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cinderella24 Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 7:45pm
post #3 of 29

If you're going to get into cake decorating full steam, I would suggest investing in a KA. I have just started cake decorating and have already burnt out a hand mixer trying to make a batch of Royal Icing. I have been successful making BC using a hand-held, but sometimes I'm really pushing it and I can tell. As far as making fondant with a hand mixer, I'm not sure about that b/c I am yet to work with it. I know that as soon as I get some extra cash, I will be investing in a KA for myself.

I've looked on Ebay for KAs. You could probably save some money by buying one this way!

icon_smile.gif

Katydidz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katydidz Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 7:49pm
post #4 of 29

I had made a couple batches of BC with my hand mixer (not one right after the either) and the poor thing literally burst into flames. It was pretty traumatizing.

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 7:50pm
post #5 of 29

I couldn't even tell you how many hand mixers I have burned the motor of! I have to agree about getting a stand mixer. If KA is too much for you, I have a friend who uses a Sunbeam model and she loves it. Or ask around and see if anyone has a KA they are just storing to see if you can borrow it.

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 7:58pm
post #6 of 29

I just got a KA but before I did I always made buttercream with a hand mixer. I think it worked fine.

Also, I do not use the KA to make MMF. I just mix the ingredients with a spoon at first and then knead in additional powdered sugar with my hands as I need it to get the proper consistency.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 8:05pm
post #7 of 29

Hand mixers do vary. I made fine buttercream (single batches) with an old one of mine. Do not try to make fondant with a hand mixer. I don't even use my stand mixers for that kind of fondant.

valhalla31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valhalla31 Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 8:23pm
post #8 of 29

Thanks for your quick reply's. I was looking around on Ebay and I noticed that most or all of the KA's are refurbished. Does anyone have any experience with a refurbished KA?

Robyn

itsloops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsloops Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 8:36pm
post #9 of 29

I just burned my hand mixer last night making a batch of butter cream. I was always successful only that last night I was in a hurry and poured the whole bag of sugar in the bowl.

I'm sure that is what did it.

I would love a KA but I just can't afford it for the time being. I'm not really sure what I'm going to do now. Maybe put one on lay away at Walmart.

As for the MMF, I always hand knead it. It works for me.

Good Luck!

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 8:46pm
post #10 of 29

I would not try and make MMF with a hand mixer. I make all my MMF with my heavy duty KA and it still sometimes bogs down. I find that if you mix 1/2 the sugar in first with the paddle and then switch to the dough hook it does a lot better. I'm afraid the hand mixer would blow up on your first try. You would be better off mixing it by hand.

Momof4luvscakes Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 8:46pm
post #11 of 29

I would not try and make MMF with a hand mixer. I make all my MMF with my heavy duty KA and it still sometimes bogs down. I find that if you mix 1/2 the sugar in first with the paddle and then switch to the dough hook it does a lot better. I'm afraid the hand mixer would blow up on your first try. You would be better off mixing it by hand.

Momof4luvscakes Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 8:47pm
post #12 of 29

coffeecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coffeecake Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 8:58pm
post #13 of 29
Quote:
Quote:

I had made a couple batches of BC with my hand mixer (not one right after the either) and the poor thing literally burst into flames. It was pretty traumatizing.

Ohh Katyditz I feel for you - I was traumatized just reading your post!

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 11:25pm
post #14 of 29

There is a huge difference in icing using a hand mixer than the KA.

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 3:28am
post #15 of 29

I don't have a KA, though I am dreaming of one..... a pink one! LOL

I make one batch of buttercream icing with a cheapo hand mixer I got at Wal-Mart. I also have a nicer one, also a hand mixer though, that I use for more than one batch of buttercream, and for royal. I haven't tried making fondant, for now I use Wilton's, though I hope to graduate soon! LOL

lasidus1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lasidus1 Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 3:33am
post #16 of 29

you could make a batch of BC with your hand mixer probably. i would NOT try a double batch though, just to be safe. as for the mmf, not too sure. I know my hand mixer (cheapo kind) would have died very very quickly if i tried.

julieB, if you like bright pink, get the cranberry color. like my avatar icon_biggrin.gif

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 3:36am
post #17 of 29

Before I got my KA, I had a Sunbeam stand mixer - not the best - certainly not as good as a KA, but it did the job fairly well and was a lot less expensive -maybe $60?? And I've definitely used it for more than just cakes too so it wouldn't be a bad investment overall - especially if you want to try cake decorating again and want to have some good equipment but not make a large investment right away.

Good luck and HAPPY BAKING!

Amish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amish Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 3:23pm
post #18 of 29

I have a KA hand held mixer and it works great on mixing batches of BC. I would NOT use it to mix MMF I would do as the others suggested and use a spoon. I had a cheapo one from WalMart before I bought the KA and it worked fine untill I tried to use it to make Royal Icing and it burnt out. AWWW! It was probably about the cheapest one you can buy(It was a house warming gift). My hand held KA was only about 40-60.00 can't remeber wich one.

Amish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amish Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 3:24pm
post #19 of 29

I have a KA hand held mixer and it works great on mixing batches of BC. I would NOT use it to mix MMF I would do as the others suggested and use a spoon. I had a cheapo one from WalMart before I bought the KA and it worked fine untill I tried to use it to make Royal Icing and it burnt out. AWWW! It was probably about the cheapest one you can buy(It was a house warming gift). My hand held KA was only about 40-60.00 can't remeber wich one. Hoping for a countertop KA for X-Mas!

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 3:27pm
post #20 of 29

I like the cranberry. Y'all, tell me where to get the KA. I think I've seen it at Williams Sonoma, right? Do they carry all the colors?

2yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2yummy Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 7:25pm
post #21 of 29

I have a little hamilton beach 5 speed hand mixer. That thing was awesome! I made many batches of BC and Royal icing with it. It is still going strong. My Wilton instructer said when you are using a hand held to just make sure if it starts to sound like it is struggling or smelling funny switch it up a notch. It has worked great for me. But now I just recently purchased a used KA on ebay. I can't wait to try it. But for the mmf I made mine by hand and I had no problems, it was easy to make. Just make sure you put crisco on your hands icon_wink.gif . I would wait to purchase a KA to make sure you like decorating. Then if you really get into it I would make the investment. Have fun!

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 7:34pm
post #22 of 29

For me having the KA is a necessary tool for cake baking and decorating. Almost as necessary as an oven! I have had frosting from people that use hand mixers and they are heavier and very sweet. It just can't do the job of a KA...IMO.

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 7:51pm
post #23 of 29

Just burnt my 3rd hand held mixer in 2 months right now. I was making BC......had to finish it off mixing by hand. Just horrible.....and thick. Oh well, someday soon I'll have my KA mixer. My hubby bought me tickets to go see Shakira for Mother's Day and some people have offered me up to $500 for them. All I can picture is my mixer with sparkles all around it in my thoughts. Hubby won't let me sell them to buy it because he says I'll regret it later. I just figure......I can buy my mixer, make a whole lot of cakes and buy Shakira tickets the next time she has a concert with cake money.

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 7:52pm
post #24 of 29

bump!!

ashlymomx2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashlymomx2 Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 12:15am
post #25 of 29

Just got a KA and love it!! I just started Wilton 1 and the teacher said if you can afford it, get one, cause they are great. She was right, I notice a big difference from just using the hand mixer. The KA was my birthday and x-mas present, and well worth it. Right now they have get $20 back mail in rebate too.

KellieRSM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellieRSM Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 12:45am
post #26 of 29

If you have a Kohl's in your area, they have good prices. You may have to watch the stock, it can be hit and miss. But I've seen several models and colors at good prices. And...they stock a lot of the attachments. Better to buy one as soon as possible. Good Luck!

ASupergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ASupergirl Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 1:01am
post #27 of 29

I'm totally dreaming of a pink KA mixer....whether it is the deep cranberry pink or the light pink I'm not sure. But I know I want one sooooo bad. My question is.......What is the difference in making buttercream with a hand mixer and a KA mixer??? Is it fluffier??? .....once I find out the answer I'll probably want one even more...ha ha

KellieRSM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellieRSM Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 2:28am
post #28 of 29

The icing is creamier, smoother and lighter...in a word...YUMMY!

missyjo30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyjo30 Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 2:31am
post #29 of 29

check ebay, some are refurbished, but still brand new.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%