Very Upset - Dh Thinks I Shouldn't Give Them My Cake :-(

Decorating By emmascakes Updated 30 May 2007 , 7:59am by emmascakes

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 25 May 2007 , 4:47pm
post #31 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironbaker

Ahhhh, we missed the first conversation to this. icon_smile.gif

That does shed a bit more light but the past is the past. And you'd like to hope that everyone is mature about it all. She is the one marrying him and Emma was invited - with her own DH. It's a gift for the COUPLE, not just for him.

it would be nice if you could talk to the bride.

LOL!! icon_biggrin.gif I missed the too! I'm soooo glad it wasn't just me! thumbs_up.gif

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 25 May 2007 , 4:50pm
post #32 of 92

Thanks so muchfor all your support. I've just finished the cake. I decided I'd finish the cake either way. I'm just about to sort out the photo and I'll post it here for you to see. I don't know the mother of the bride at all and have no way of contacting her. I don't have a contact number for the bride and I'm worried that if I explained why I'd called it would put her in an awkward position in terms of feeling like she had to say yes, even though she might be feeling 'no.'

I think I may take it along in the car and pop into the venue and suss out what's going on before making a decision. A few of of our mutual friends have now replied to my email and they all say take the cake. They're all men though....

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 25 May 2007 , 5:35pm
post #33 of 92

I think that's a good idea. Even though my first instinct was to say "just take it!", if you feel at all uncomfortable you should definitely get a feel for whether it would be okay or not. If you take it and leave it in the car like you said, then you will feel more comfortable. I really hope everything is okay and you decide to take it in!! You've worked so hard and it is so disheartening to put so much love into something and not be able to GIVE it!

emmascakes Posted 25 May 2007 , 5:58pm
post #35 of 92

Can you spot the mistake? I only noticed it myself when I uplooaded the photos, not sure I can be bothered to fix it - maybe leaving something off will be my trademark!

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 25 May 2007 , 6:02pm
post #36 of 92

Oh my, Emma that is gorgeous! TAKE IT! icon_lol.gif But I say that because I would love to receive something like that. It's obvious that sooo much time, effor tand love was put into that. I just can't imagine someone not appreciating it.

When is the wedding? Don't overanalyze it too much. We women do tend to do that. Maybe when you get there you can find her and let her know you created something for them all to enjoy?

I think it will be well-received, i really do.

emmascakes Posted 25 May 2007 , 6:20pm
post #37 of 92

The wedding is tomorrow. Actually no-one is going the wedding, I think they're disappearing off together - I'll see them at the reception afterwards in London. Thanks for the nice comments. Women do over-analyse, you're right. If she doesn't like the gesture I guess that's her problem.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 25 May 2007 , 6:21pm
post #38 of 92

Your work as always is wonderful. Please let us know the outcome of this gift. We really want to know. Have fun.

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 25 May 2007 , 6:26pm
post #39 of 92

Who in their right mind would not want a beautiful cake like that for a present?? I really do hope you get to give it to them, because it is just gorgeous and should be given for the reason it was made=) To celebrate their marriage and to show love for them! Your cake is truely amazing!

emmascakes Posted 25 May 2007 , 6:37pm
post #40 of 92

It's very odd, I can link to my photo through this thread, but it's not on 'my photos.' What's going on? Any ideas?

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 25 May 2007 , 6:47pm
post #41 of 92

a) mistake? uh....not taking it!!! (that's all I can see)

b) you never cease to amaze -- to take the breath away w/ your lovely creations.

emmascakes Posted 25 May 2007 , 6:50pm
post #42 of 92

Thanks Doug, I'm blushing.

The mistake is that one of the beads is missing on the right hand side. Did it fall off? I have no idea! Maybe I never put one on!

Lyn4uk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lyn4uk Posted 25 May 2007 , 7:04pm
post #43 of 92

Wow, Emma you MUST take your wonderful cake to the wedding.
This is a non traditional wedding, so you are giving a non traditional gift.
Let's face it, you can never have enough cake at any event icon_biggrin.gif

They will be one happy couple when you arrive with your "masterpeice"

Enjoy your creation and enjoy the day

Lyn
x

chocolateandpeanutbutter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolateandpeanutbutter Posted 25 May 2007 , 7:28pm
post #44 of 92

I just commented on this cake a few minutes before I started reading this thread. I saw the thumbnail, and I thought "that's got to be one of Emma's cakes!"

It's absolutely gorgeous, I say give it to them. You have the best intentions, and surely your friend knows that. I think it's a lovely, thoughtful gift, and anyone in their right mind would love to receive it.

If the bride has a problem with it, then it's exactly that - her problem.

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 25 May 2007 , 7:37pm
post #45 of 92

Oh, Emma....

What a marvelous thing! I'm such a fan of yours and while I seldom post on the threads any more, I just had to post and say that that cake is so wonderful! I think your plan of having it in the car and checking out the situation is a good idea, but what a shame it would be if you didn't give it to them!

Deanna

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 25 May 2007 , 7:40pm
post #46 of 92

ok i think i found it your missing a silver ball on the right side

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 25 May 2007 , 7:42pm
post #47 of 92

lol didnt read that she posted the mistake before i posted my answer lol

manderfrog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manderfrog Posted 25 May 2007 , 7:42pm
post #48 of 92

TAKE THE CAKE!!!!! It is absolutely gorgeous. I think that she should be honored that you put so much work into a gift for them.

dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 25 May 2007 , 7:42pm
post #49 of 92

Okay, I have to do this. I have to be the nay-sayer. Just please read the entire thing.

This is an important day for the bride and groom - it is their day to pick and arrange the day how they want to. To me, a cake is a huge part of it. You need to be respectful of what they choose to have or not have. I use my own wedding as an example. I chose not to have any attendants, even though this is a huge traditional part of the wedding - I had very personal reasons for doing this (one of them being the would be matron of honor had just cheated on her husband and I wasn't comfortable with her standing up with me). I certainly couldn't explain this to everyone but it was what I decided. You never know why people make the decisions they do, but that's okay, it's their day.

After saying that..... the cake is AMAZINGLY GORGEOUS! They have no idea yet how lucky they would be to have that cake. I think it should get to them, but I agree with others who suggest you sound this out with them. It doesn't necessarily have to be at the reception. If it is a gift, it can be given after or before. It doesn't have to have a spotlight at the reception. Like any other wedding, there are groups and gatherings (like at the opening of the gifts) where another cake would be totally appropriate. On the other hand, they may want it there - check with them. You are so gifted, and this gift needs to be appreciated, just be sensitive to the couple and their plans for the day.

You are AMAZING!!!

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 25 May 2007 , 8:07pm
post #50 of 92

Emma, I'm glad you are taking my advice...leave it in the car until you can "scout" out the venue..... I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that there is not another cake there, and if there is, just tell them what you did, and ask if you should bring it in..... If there is no cake, then don't say anything..... just go get it, and set it up....... Your cake is BEAUTIFUL, and they will LOVE it ..... You GO GIRL !! thumbs_up.gif

Maria071 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria071 Posted 25 May 2007 , 8:20pm
post #51 of 92

I hate to upset anyone but I agree with dydemus.

emmascakes Posted 25 May 2007 , 8:41pm
post #52 of 92

Ok. Hmmm. Whatif I put the cake in a box and leave it on the gift table with the other gifts, which is what I had intended to do anway. That way they don't even have to know it's a cake until they get it home? Then I'm not trying to steal anyone's thunder, ruin someone's big day or be disrespectful to someone I've known nearly all my life?

emmascakes Posted 25 May 2007 , 8:47pm
post #53 of 92

DH has just come home and seen the cake, he now thinks we should take it. I really don't mean for it to be their 'wedding cake.' It is a cake that I'm giving as a wedding gift, I deliberately made it a fruit cake so it would last and didn't need to be eaten on the day it was given. I don't care if they use it as a doorstop to be honest just wanted to give them something that showed how much they mean to me - it's not everyday a friend gets married. I'm in a total quandry about this again now.

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 25 May 2007 , 9:15pm
post #54 of 92

I saw the part about it being a fruit cake earlier and it didn't even register in my brain... You could very well add it to the gift table in a box with a nice big ribbon and bow around it, and the couple could have it on their honeymoon if they're having one, or take it home and eat it for the one-week anniversary or something like that. Boxed and set aside for them to open with the other gifts, it wouldn't be like you were expecting them to eat it up right then. You could say as they opened it, 'this is for you to have later.' It could be their option to eat it at the celebration or take it home with them if they liked.

While I understand the thinking of the bride would want to make her own decisions for everything (I was most certainly one of those brides myself), boxing it and adding it to the other gifts on the table would sort of make it a different thing altogether. Not unlike if you had made them a nice cross-stitch picture or knitted them a blanket. It's your art form and you gave them a piece of art for them to take home for later.

Please let us know your final decision, and enjoy the party regardless.

Deanna

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 25 May 2007 , 9:17pm
post #55 of 92

well your last two post sound like a plan...

box it, tag it, take it.

then they can open it whenever.

and they'll be kicking themselves for not opening it at the reception when they do finally open it at home.

-------------

and on a totally "American" note -- just what is it about British fruitcakes that make them so good, so delectable, so desireable? -- the ones here -- well doorstop would be "nice" to call them.

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 25 May 2007 , 9:33pm
post #56 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmascakes

Ok. Hmmm. Whatif I put the cake in a box and leave it on the gift table with the other gifts, which is what I had intended to do anway. That way they don't even have to know it's a cake until they get it home? Then I'm not trying to steal anyone's thunder, ruin someone's big day or be disrespectful to someone I've known nearly all my life?

Excellent idea, and your cake is absolutley stunning!!!!

dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 25 May 2007 , 9:34pm
post #57 of 92

Okay, that seems like a good idea. The bride and groom seem to be the only ones who DONT eat much at a reception - so it would be awesome to open up a great cake later!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 25 May 2007 , 9:36pm
post #58 of 92

Hmmm... this is a slippery one Emma. It's hard to guage it until you are there. I'd give them the cake for sure. I am not sure if I'd bring it in to the reception.. especially if it was not boxed up. You just never know how someone will react. This is their day and if they are non-conformists (gotta love that right) maybe cake was not in their plans (cake is ALWAYS in my plans but you know what I mean icon_wink.gif ).I'd box it up making sure to mark it as FRAGILE and not to be tossed around.. mark it this end up.. the whole deal. I'd hate to have them get home and open a box full of cake pieces and never get to see your hard work and expression of joy for them. I'd see if you could steal a word with the bride at the reception and see if she would mind. I am sure there was some planning that went into their non-wedding and you don't want to step on any toes. I would LOVE to get a cake from you.. hands down. You do amazing work and you can feel the joy and love in your creations. I am sorry that you are having to feel odd about giving your gift. I wouldn't let it bug you too much.. bring it.. see how she feels and go from there. You never know.. she might be thrilled and all this worrying will be for naught.

hoopb2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hoopb2 Posted 26 May 2007 , 3:08am
post #59 of 92

You will have to let us know how everything turned out.

girltrapped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
girltrapped Posted 26 May 2007 , 7:05am
post #60 of 92

You have made yet another amazingly beautiful masterpiece!

I have one question for you though. How long with a fruit cake "last"? icon_redface.gif I have never made one or tasted one for that matter. I was just curious if they are easy to work with? Maybe I will get brave enough to try one day...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%