Very Upset - Dh Thinks I Shouldn't Give Them My Cake :-(

Decorating By emmascakes Updated 30 May 2007 , 7:59am by emmascakes

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 26 May 2007 , 7:30am
post #61 of 92

You know if you think the bride will have a problem with it, call it a Grooms' Cake! And then they are both covered! icon_wink.gif

I would never have known there was a "mistake" if you hadn't pointed it out exactly! What a gorgeous cake!! And what a lot of work!!

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 26 May 2007 , 7:31am
post #62 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

-------------

and on a totally "American" note -- just what is it about British fruitcakes that make them so good, so delectable, so desireable? -- the ones here -- well doorstop would be "nice" to call them.

Lots of good quality dried fruit and shameful amounts of alcohol thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

eieio1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eieio1234 Posted 26 May 2007 , 8:31am
post #63 of 92

It's 4 a.m. I just spent half an hour reading this! I feel addicted to the story and was so positive that when I got to the end I would know what happened and I dont! AHHH!! icon_cry.gif I can't wait to find out what happened! I wonder if you're there now, the dates/times on CC are wrong so I can't tell by your post.

BTW, I can see both sides of the whole thing. It's beautiful. They might not have asked you to make it because they think you're too busy, or the bride might not want your cake to upstage her and be the center of attention. My cakes are nothing like yours but when they're opened at a party, they always have their 5 minutes of fame. All homemade cakes do, they're a conversation starter. The bride might know that there will be so much attention on the cake and she either doesn't want it to take away from her or she just doesn't want any fusses made over anything. I know for me personally I was a bit uncomfortable with all the attention on me on my wedding day and the months leading up to it. I chose to have everything photographed, but not videotaped. People fought me tooth and nail on that, and offered to do it themselves, but I didn't want a videotape. Well, the ceremony wasn't taped but a few minutes of the reception was and when I saw that videocamera it gave me a knot in my stomach. We have that tape, it's like 5 mins long and have watched it one time in 11 years. It just brings back a bad memory (that they went against my wishes, not the wedding!) to see that tape! So, you never know what's going through the bride's mind, they're a different breed!

I can't wait to hear how this turns out!! No matter what happens, your intentions were pure and you should be proud of that!

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 26 May 2007 , 9:23am
post #64 of 92

English fruit cake is gorgeous, never tried an American one though. It's stuffed full of fruit, tea, brandy, glycerine and all things moist and yum. I use my own recipe and it's just lovely. THey last indefinitely ifkept properly. I believe a piece of Charles and Dianas' wedding cake has bee sold at auction and claims to be perfectly edible. We're off in an hour so Ill let you know when happens when we return from our trip!

ombaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ombaker Posted 26 May 2007 , 2:23pm
post #65 of 92

Can't wait to hear the outcome!!

kelly75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelly75 Posted 28 May 2007 , 8:42am
post #66 of 92

Did you end up giving them the cake? It's so beautiful, it would be a shame if they didn't get to enjoy it!

Kelly

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 28 May 2007 , 8:47am
post #67 of 92

I've just returned from London where the wedding reception was and I thought I'd update you all.

I decided to take the cake in the boot of the car, DH nearly broke it as he didn't realise it was in there and threw the car jack into the boot as we were packing - fortunately it missed.

It was raining hard when we arrived so I left the cake in the boot and we got a cab to the reception - about five minutes away. The reception was lovely, but not at all weddingy - no flowers, balloons, drapes etc. It was a smart bar and everyone was dressed smartly despite the invite saying casual. There was a buffet but it was a stand up one so again very unweddingy. I decided not to bring the cake out as the venue was almost completely unweddingy and I felt it might change the tone of the evening.

So we got steadily more tipsy until one of my friends could bear it no longer and told the groom about my cake. He was delighted and insisted I went and got it. Myself and two other tipsy friends wobbled to the car to get it and wobbled back again. I walked in to a big crowd of people all wanting to see the cake. Both bride and groom loved it and had a little cutting ceremony and then I cut it up and everyone tucked in.

In the finish I found the experience rather embarrassing and everyone was talking about it for ages and kept coming up to me saying how great the cake was. I felt awkward at being the centre of attention so went and hid in the loos for a bit. I think everyone was probably more effusive than normal as we had all been drinking for a while.

Joel and Rachel were delighted with the cake and also kept on about how lovely it was and it was nice that they got to have a cutting ceremony as everything else had been so low key.

So thank you here for all your support. I think it probably happened right and everyone seemed to enjoy the cake.

greenhorn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greenhorn Posted 28 May 2007 , 9:09am
post #68 of 92

This is the perfect ending to this story. Your cakes are absolutely stunning and the bride and groom are tremendously lucky to have you in their circle of friends!

eieio1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eieio1234 Posted 28 May 2007 , 11:53am
post #69 of 92

"So we got steadily more tipsy" LOLOL!!! Too funny! Well, it sounds like it turned out perfectly!

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 28 May 2007 , 11:58am
post #70 of 92

I think this all ended great. First, it showed that you were trying to be respectful of their day... I just can't imagine keeping a cake like that in the boot of my car though! and OMG, if the jack would have smashed it? I think you would have smashed DH! LOL

Glad they loved it and that it was a great day all around. I too had a very low key wedding. DH is from Europe and just couldn't make the trip (was during the war of Croatia/Bosnia and Serbia). So, I didn't want to have all my family while he couldn't so we just did the justice of the peace/Judge and had lunch wiht a couple of friends afterwards.... no cake, no nothing, but it was fine. I know we would have objected to cake or the like, but it just wasn't part of our plan... we too would have been flattered by a friend's gift like that.

Melissa

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 28 May 2007 , 12:04pm
post #71 of 92

YEA!!!! Perfect ending to a perfect day !! I'm soooo happy for all of you ! thumbs_up.gif

manderfrog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manderfrog Posted 28 May 2007 , 12:08pm
post #72 of 92

I am so glad it turned out well! I am sure even though it was "un-weddingy" that the bride and groom will look back fondly on a little touch of wedding tradition. It is funny that everyone got tipsy before it came out! I'm sure it made it a little easier as well that you did not have to be the one to tell the couple. In the end, I am happy for you that you got to give them such a caring gift that took so much hard work.

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 28 May 2007 , 12:17pm
post #73 of 92

Wonderful end to the story. I delighted you brought the cake and gave it to your friend.

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 28 May 2007 , 12:28pm
post #74 of 92

Glad to hear you had such a lovely time, and that your thoughtful, and no doubt, delicious and utterly wonderful cake was well received! thumbs_up.gif

TxAgGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TxAgGirl Posted 28 May 2007 , 3:04pm
post #75 of 92

I love happy endings! princess.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 28 May 2007 , 8:26pm
post #76 of 92

Oh just perfect!! I am so glad that you brought it and that it went over so well.. I had a feeling it would. I have been waiting to hear how it went and I couldn't be happier for you! So glad that they got such a wonderful cake from such a wonderful person.

carrielynnfields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carrielynnfields Posted 28 May 2007 , 8:52pm
post #77 of 92

I do love a good story. Emma I LOVE your cakes and I can't wait to see this one. The galleries are down for maintinance! Booooo HOOOOOOo hooooooo!!!!! So I will watch this topic and I WILL see the cake. I am so glad it all worked out. I swear I was there with you all the way!

oilili Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oilili Posted 29 May 2007 , 8:01am
post #78 of 92

Emma,
How did it go?

idoweddingcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idoweddingcookies Posted 29 May 2007 , 9:18am
post #79 of 92

so glad that it ending up being a happy story...

Boot of the car.. only here that when my mom forgets she's in Canada and calls it a boot instead of the trunk... she's from Liverpool...

Again glad to hear all went well, your cakes are gorgeous!!

oilili Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oilili Posted 29 May 2007 , 11:18am
post #80 of 92

Silly me, I didn't realise we were already on 5 pages!
Cool!
Hope you will get several new orders! icon_biggrin.gif

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 29 May 2007 , 1:37pm
post #81 of 92

emma, glad to hear that it all ended very well. thumbs_up.gif I'm sure you added a very special and memorable touch to their reception that they won't forget.

ombaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ombaker Posted 29 May 2007 , 2:14pm
post #82 of 92

Great story! It will be a wonderful memory that they will talk about for years to come. SOunds like it worked out exactly like it was susposed to . Can't wait to see your next cake!

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 29 May 2007 , 2:21pm
post #83 of 92

Always talk to the Bride

apclassicwed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apclassicwed Posted 29 May 2007 , 2:30pm
post #84 of 92

I'm so glad everything worked out so well--I couldn't have written a better story if I tried. I was really touched that the B&G were pleased to have a cake cutting eventhough every thing else was low key and un-weddingly. AND everyone else raved about how good the cake was--it pays to listen to your heart

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 29 May 2007 , 2:42pm
post #85 of 92

getting married and a cake form Emma...what could be better? Cheers to you and your friends Emma! thumbs_up.gif

Blue0877 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Blue0877 Posted 29 May 2007 , 2:56pm
post #86 of 92

that cake is absolutely breathtaking!! I would have been honored to have something so gorgeous at my wedding. So glad everything went well!!

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 29 May 2007 , 3:23pm
post #87 of 92

Ah, it was worth waiting to see the picture, beautiful creation!

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 29 May 2007 , 5:18pm
post #88 of 92

Well done! I'm so glad it had a happy ending.

Wonder what DH thinks now? icon_wink.gif

Rikke_Denmark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rikke_Denmark Posted 29 May 2007 , 5:50pm
post #89 of 92

wauw just read all these notes for the past 30 minutes... I have to what an amesing cake. You are so talented... I'm glad all vent well.

shalderman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shalderman Posted 29 May 2007 , 8:54pm
post #90 of 92

I just saw this thread ~ so happy to hear a happy ending to it all! I'm glad you took it. ITS GORGEOUS!!!! thumbs_up.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif I'm in awe and they are so lucky to have such a wonderful gift.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%