Do I Need To Push The Fbct Down Into The Cake So Its Level?

Decorating By CAKESHERWAY Updated 25 May 2007 , 4:03pm by tyty

CAKESHERWAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKESHERWAY Posted 25 May 2007 , 12:43am
post #1 of 15

Thanks to all of you who gave suggestions on how to get the holes out of my FBCT and how to get it off the paper in one piece!

Now for another ? When I do these, the FBCT always sits higher on the cake than the cake itself and looks a bit funny. So, then I try to push it down and it just breaks again. What's the trick with this that I am missing? Thanks so much to all of you! You are the best!

14 replies
TaraRowan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TaraRowan Posted 25 May 2007 , 12:47am
post #2 of 15

I wanna know the answer too!! icon_lol.gif
I did one this past weekend and i put it on the cake AND then did the icing. it seemed to hide itself better that way but I did have one part the was a bit too high.
i'll be watching to see what the answer is....

Kate714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kate714 Posted 25 May 2007 , 12:48am
post #3 of 15

I usually do a light crumb coat, put the FBCT on and then ice around it so it's level. You will have a lot of BC on the top if you do it this way, but I find it looks the best.

TandTHarrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TandTHarrell Posted 25 May 2007 , 12:52am
post #4 of 15

I never push mines down I just lay then on top

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 25 May 2007 , 12:57am
post #5 of 15

No, I would not try to push it down. If you feel it is too thick try to make the FBCT a little thinner next time.

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 25 May 2007 , 1:00am
post #6 of 15

Mine are always (the 2 I have done so far) much thicker than the rest of the icing too and I don't like how that looks. I end up putting starts around it to make it look a little less obvious. I was thinking it was more a problem with my icing being to thick than having to push the FBCT down harder into the cake. I'd love to know too icon_biggrin.gif

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 25 May 2007 , 1:00am
post #7 of 15

If they stick up just slightly, I feel it adds to the transfer-like it's highlighted in a 3D kind of way. I don't make mine very thick though...I have several in my gallery. The stacked Superman is the latest.

CAKESHERWAY Posted 25 May 2007 , 1:09am
post #8 of 15

OK, I am off to start one right now! I'll try to post a picture of the finsihed cake tomorrow! Thanks everyone!

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 25 May 2007 , 1:13am
post #9 of 15

Good luck on your fbct -- don't know if you've tried this or not, but on smaller cakes, I make the entire top of the cake the fbct. That way, the picutre is flush with the cake. Can't do it on bigger cakes though.

S.

CAKESHERWAY Posted 25 May 2007 , 1:18am
post #10 of 15

Hmm...that is an excellent tip about the top being a FBCT! This cake is 11x15 but I will be trying that on the next small one I have to do! Thanks!

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 25 May 2007 , 1:23am
post #11 of 15

I only made one. When I put it on the cake it was not flat, but as it thawed, in laid right down flat on the cake. Just lay it on top and let it melt into the cake. Do not push it into the cake you may break it if it's still frozen.

When you are making it you want to cover the back with your cake icing color so it will blend in. If you still don't like the way the edges look, you can always pipe around it.

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 25 May 2007 , 1:54am
post #12 of 15

I make mine thin and then let it melt and shape into the already iced cake. For me personally, I don't like the look of a cake that is all flat across the top - I think the raised design looks better.

CAKESHERWAY Posted 25 May 2007 , 4:35am
post #13 of 15

OMG! OMG! OMG! I CAN NOT BELIEVE IT! IT ACTUALLY WORKED! iT LOOKS AWESOME! IT CAME RIGHT OFF THE WAX PAPER THIS TIME! NEVER BROKE AT ALL! IT'S ALL SMOOTH AND SITS NICELY ON TOP OF THE CAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU ALL SOOOO MUCH! THIS IS FOR MY NEPHEWS GRADUATION. I WILL POST A PICTURE OF IT TOMORROW AFTER I GET SOME SLEEP! THANKS SO MUCH! YOU ARE THE VERY BEST!!!!!!!

CAKESHERWAY Posted 25 May 2007 , 3:55pm
post #14 of 15

Well, here it is! The FBCT turned out great but my writing is off a little on the left. Do you suppose I could fix this somehow? It's bugging me!
LL

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 25 May 2007 , 4:03pm
post #15 of 15

The cake looks great! Just leave the writing alone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%