Rock Hard Crumbly Modeling Choc..what In The World!

Decorating By Marvelous Updated 25 May 2007 , 2:40pm by FromScratch

Marvelous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marvelous Posted 24 May 2007 , 4:20pm
post #1 of 5

So i've made modeling chocolate before...It was made using regular cooking/compound chocolate and it worked out just fine. I have a wedding cake coming up and the bride requested White edible roses. I want to make them using modeling chocolate since i've had success with it in the past.

Heres my problem. I used WHITE compound chocolate this time and glucose as the recipe suggests and in the right amounts. Why is it that after the suggested resting time the chocolate is ROCK hard? and i mean rock hard. I microwaved for a short time to get it pliable but now what i have is something similar to mashed potatos. Its dry and crumbly and won't hold together like 'clay' should.

Any suggestions at all oh pretty please? I've spent 50 dollars on white chocolate alone and i'd hate to see it go to waste!

Thanks everyone!

4 replies
Incognito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Incognito Posted 25 May 2007 , 1:14am
post #2 of 5

Sorry to hear that. I made white choc modelling paste using this recipe
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2091-White-Chocolate-Paste---For-Making-Roses.html

It was rock hard the next day but it says not to microwave it and will warm up & become pliable if you hold it in your hands.

The only problem I had was stopping my DH from eating it all!

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 25 May 2007 , 4:16am
post #3 of 5

You can GENTLY reheat it (I use a double boiler, barely simmering water) and start over. White chocolate will overheat very easily.

Once it is barely melted, add a bit of shortening or paramount crystals, a tsp or so. then pour it out and let it rest.

Marvelous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marvelous Posted 25 May 2007 , 10:19am
post #4 of 5

Thankyou so much both of you. Very helpful! I will try both suggestions

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 25 May 2007 , 2:40pm
post #5 of 5

I just wanted to say good luck and I hoep it turns out.. and that I LOVE your siggy picture.. makes me snort everytime I look at it. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%