Help With Royal Icing Daisies

Decorating By CottonTop Updated 4 Jul 2006 , 7:43pm by heyjules

CottonTop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CottonTop Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 1:41am
post #1 of 16

I AM PRETTY NEW AT DECORATING. I AM HAVING TROUBLE GETTING MY DAISIES TO LOOK RIGHT. COULD SOMEONE HELP, PLEASE.... icon_sad.gif

15 replies
CrystalsCakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrystalsCakes5 Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 2:02am
post #2 of 16

Are you using the Wilton templates, they are in the back of the course 2 book.
Not sure if you can get them anywhere else, but anyways,

If you have the template you hold your tip at the center of the template and when you squeeze your icing dont move the tip and when the end of that petal reaches the outer circle of the template stop squeezing. This actually a very easy flower to do.

After the first petal you turn your nail and do the next petal and so on.

I really like doing the Daisy and in lots of colors.

I hope this makes sense.
If you need me to explain again or better just ask.

HTH

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 2:04am
post #3 of 16

Yep, the Wilton template definately helps along with pracitce. See my photos for my daisy cake.

candy177 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candy177 Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 2:07am
post #4 of 16

I like to turn my tip at the end though, I don't like harsh ends on my daisies. I like rounded ends. I too have a daisy cake. icon_smile.gif

KrisD13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisD13 Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 9:01am
post #5 of 16

So far, I've found the daisies to be the easiest flowers to make.

My Wilton instructor showed us a different way, however, that I absolutely LOVE!

Instead of having the narrow end at the outside of the template, have the wide end out there. As you squeeze out the icing, moving to the centre, the outside edge of the daisy will look more realistic, AND you end up with much less of a build-up of icing in the centre. icon_biggrin.gif

I recently made a daisy Birthday cake, made her wayicon_biggrin.gif The pic is in my gallery

Hope this helps icon_biggrin.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 1:36pm
post #6 of 16

The easiest way is the way that KrisD said. Put the wide end of tip 104 at the outer edge and the thin end of it towards the center. Apply pressure and pull towards the center, while doing that release pressure as you get close to the center. You get really nice daisy petals that way. I do it both the Wilton way and this way, and I like this way better.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 3:07pm
post #7 of 16

Kris or Quad do either of you have pics of daisies using this inverted tip method? I want to see the difference in methods.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 3:12pm
post #8 of 16

OK - in my photos, there are two cakes down at the bottom. the basketweave course II cake has all the daisies done the easier way (in a couple of different colors) The teapot cake has one daisy done the Wilton way and one done the easy way - BUT remember on this cake, the daisy done the easy way on there was one of my first ones! (they look much better than that now!!)

stylishbite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stylishbite Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 3:21pm
post #9 of 16

I use the template also. BIG BIG HELP. Makes them all very uniform. You can dry them on former for a more natural look or curve. I also dip my finger in yellow sugar, after I dot the center with the icing, and press down on the dot with the sugar. It will smooth the tip of dot down and leave shiney yellow sugar center. Makes the flower a little more eye catching. You have to do it right away though, before the icing hardens so it will stick.
HTH

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 3:27pm
post #10 of 16

OK thanks.

SheilaF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheilaF Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 1:04am
post #11 of 16

I guess I'll have to try it with the fat end out. I've tried and tried the wilton way and Daisies are one of the few flowers I can NOT make. They just look pathetic when I do them. I can make a good petunia and my pansies and apple blossom's are great. But my daisies look totally wilted.

debbie2881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbie2881 Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 1:17am
post #12 of 16

I also learned it with the fat end up, i cant even picture doing it with the small end up. Its so easy.

KrisD13 Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 8:10am
post #13 of 16

All the daisies in my pics are done with the fat end of the tip out. icon_biggrin.gif

stylishbite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stylishbite Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 11:43am
post #14 of 16

I haven't heard or tried the fat part up/out, but after looking at your pictures KrisD13, I will certainly try that next time! They look great and I bet they don't break as easy. Can't wait to try.
Thanks for sharing!

KrisD13 Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 6:10am
post #15 of 16

icon_biggrin.gif I haven't had one break on me yet icon_biggrin.gif

heyjules Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heyjules Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 7:43pm
post #16 of 16

It's a little off the topic, but someone brought fondant daisies inoto our wilton 3 class for their final cake, and I thought they were so much prettier than royal icing ones, (and easier to make she said). Next time I need them, I'm going to try it with fondant instead.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%