Making Fondant Figures More Stable/hard

Decorating By nickymom Updated 24 May 2007 , 2:06pm by beachcakes

nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 23 May 2007 , 4:20am
post #1 of 10

I've made a scarecrow and pumpkins from fondant before and they turned out good but I noticed my scarecrow "settled" down a little more than I had wanted.....I am going to be making fondant wrestlers soon for my sons birthday cake and was wondering how I could get them form settling like my scarecrow did. Everything Ive learned about cakes, fondant, decorating has been pretty from this site so I'm sure y'all will the answer to my problem.
Thanks in advance,
~Nicky

p.s. also I'd like for the wrestler figures to still be edible

9 replies
Blue0877 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Blue0877 Posted 23 May 2007 , 4:26am
post #2 of 10

you can use a 50/50 fondant & gumpaste mix...that will make them dry faster...and try to do the body first and let that dry a bit before putting on the head (if they are standing or sitting)

hth!!

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 23 May 2007 , 4:42am
post #3 of 10

I have not made the 50/50 mix yet, but I plan on doing that for a graduation cake in mid June.

I have read to do this lots lately.

Good Luck.

mandy7112 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandy7112 Posted 23 May 2007 , 4:54am
post #4 of 10

I have used the 50/50 fondant gumpaste mix and i love it! it dries fast so it minimizes the settling! I also use a large gauge wire instead of toothpicks to stand them up! I hope this helps you! icon_biggrin.gif

lh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lh Posted 23 May 2007 , 5:04am
post #5 of 10

how much gumpaste do you mix with fondant? and is gumpaste edible?

cakesksa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesksa Posted 23 May 2007 , 5:05am
post #6 of 10

Hello,

I just add a litte Gumtex powder to my MMF and that works great. (Maybe about a teaspoon to a small handful of fondant). That way I don't have mix up two different things (fondant and gumpaste).

Julie icon_smile.gif

mandy7112 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandy7112 Posted 23 May 2007 , 5:11am
post #7 of 10

Gumpaste is edible. half and half. equal parts of each

frindmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frindmi Posted 23 May 2007 , 5:17am
post #8 of 10

Although gumpaste is edible, it will make your figures dry rock hard. The kids wouldn´t be able to chew them but they could lick´em. icon_biggrin.gif

Inma

nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 24 May 2007 , 8:16am
post #9 of 10

Thanks ladies.....I've never used gum paste or gumtex powder.....I'm going to pick some up this weekend!

Thanks a bunch!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 24 May 2007 , 2:06pm
post #10 of 10

I get better results from adding tylose (or gumtex) to fondant. When i try to make figures from straight gumpaste, they always "settle".

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%