Does Anyone Else Make Their Own Birthday Cakes?

Decorating By mcataylor Updated 24 May 2007 , 1:40pm by Rikke_Denmark

mcataylor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcataylor Posted 22 May 2007 , 5:29pm
post #1 of 58

Does anyone else make their own birthday cakes?

Todays my birthday!!! Yeah for me but don't ask my age it's kinda depressing....
Instead of having someone throw me a nice party and bring me a cake I told my DH to take the kids and let me make my own birthday cake!! icon_biggrin.gificon_confused.gificon_cool.gif

It just struck me as kinda ironic and funny!

Birthday girl

57 replies
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 22 May 2007 , 5:33pm
post #2 of 58

aaaaaaaaaaaaaw....HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 22 May 2007 , 5:35pm
post #3 of 58

UM...on my bd, i treated myself to the freezer section! edwards key lime pie, a pepperidge farm lemon layer, and a mrs smith's apple crumb pie.

NVP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NVP Posted 22 May 2007 , 5:35pm
post #4 of 58

aww! happy b-day. well i was considering doing my own, but people thought it would be dumb if i did on my own b-day, but knowing me..... i would be happy being creative, i think whatever makes you happy! you should

MandyE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandyE Posted 22 May 2007 , 5:36pm
post #5 of 58

Happy Birthday! My husband usually won't let me make my own cake, but my birthday is on 7-7-7 this year and I plan to have a big party and attempt a slot machine cake! icon_biggrin.gif

gabbenmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabbenmom Posted 22 May 2007 , 5:36pm
post #6 of 58

Happy Birthday to you! Yes, I have had to make my own cake. I did take my 8 year old daughter with me to cake decorating classes and she made mine this year! She did so great! But yes, if you want something good....you might as well do it yourself!!! And if you get time off from kids than that makes it even better! icon_wink.gif
Have a fabulous birthday!!!!

Juliequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juliequeen Posted 22 May 2007 , 5:38pm
post #7 of 58

Happy Birthday to you... Happy Birthday to you... Happy Birthday mcataylor....Happy Birthday to you!!!!!!! (I sang you the bday song)
No bake away... I made my own this year... It was too pretty to eat so it's in the freezer... DH went out and got me a cake too so I did get to eat cake...See you can have your cake and eat it too!!!

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 22 May 2007 , 5:42pm
post #8 of 58

I'm not supposed to make my own. My friends tell me that's a party foul. -grin- So last year, they bought a Fairly Oddparents cake pan, baked the cake, decorated it (they tried... they really really did...), then gave me the pan, the paste colors, the tips, and the bags they used, as presents. LOL

I think I'm getting a Walmart cake this year... *sigh*

lilsis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilsis Posted 22 May 2007 , 5:43pm
post #9 of 58

Happy Bday MC!!

My situation on my bday (which, coincidentally is tomorrow!!LOL) is a bit different ...my 20 yr ds was born on my bday so I always make his cake and leave it at that (definitely don't need to eat 2 cakes!!!)

Hope you have a great day!!!

aemoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aemoore Posted 22 May 2007 , 5:45pm
post #10 of 58

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

I have never made my own cake before, but I guess that's why I never get a cake icon_cry.gif . My b'day is between Christmas and New Years, so it gets lost in the shuffle...always has. You've given me a great idea, though. From now own, I'll be making myself a cake!

aemoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aemoore Posted 22 May 2007 , 5:46pm
post #11 of 58

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

I have never made my own cake before, but I guess that's why I never get a cake icon_cry.gif . My b'day is between Christmas and New Years, so it gets lost in the shuffle...always has. You've given me a great idea, though. From now own, I'll be making myself a cake!

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 22 May 2007 , 5:46pm
post #12 of 58

Happy Birthday!!!

If I didn't make my own cake I wouldn't get a cake half the time lol. My husband has gotten really great at making cakes and icing so he does it now a few years back our best friends gave me a surprise party. Other then that I haven't had a birthday cake from anywhere (homemade or otherwise) since I was young and had been making my own cake as well as everyone elses since I was 7 lol... so basically I guess since I was 7 I haven't had a cake lmao

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 22 May 2007 , 5:48pm
post #13 of 58

I make so many cakes, the last thing I want is CAKE!! I do like Cheesecake Factory Cheesecake though, so that is what I got!

mcataylor Posted 22 May 2007 , 5:49pm
post #14 of 58

Thanks for all the Happy birthday wishes! I think it will be fun today making the cake. My husband and I are going out a different day to celebrate. And I don't really make all that many cakes yet. just a few for my kids and friends, so it still a novelty.

Thank you all I'm sure to have fun. Wasc cake (with raspberry white chocolate creamer instead of almond flav.) with raspberry mousse, and ganache on top. Sounds sooo good to me!

jenbenjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbenjr Posted 22 May 2007 , 5:50pm
post #15 of 58

My Bday was last week. I wanted to make my own cake so bad but there was so much other stuff going on. I had a 1/2 sheet cake to do for a bridal shower and then my sister had her baby the day before my birthday so I ended up making her a cupcake bouquet to take to the hospital (which I am getting orders from now!). Anyway, my mom did make me a cake so even though everyone was so busy with everything else, I did manage to get a cake!! thumbs_up.gif

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 22 May 2007 , 5:51pm
post #16 of 58

LOL I made mine too!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 22 May 2007 , 5:52pm
post #17 of 58

No way am I going to make my own cake. I'm kind of tired of my cakes (so is the rest of my family) - so I like to buy one at Costco or get an ice cream cake. It's nice to eat something that tastes different than what I make.

sillyoldpoohbear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillyoldpoohbear Posted 22 May 2007 , 5:54pm
post #18 of 58

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Hope you have a great day icon_biggrin.gif

That is so spooky I was only thinking about asking this question yesterday as I have a special birthday coming up this year (no I'm not telling!) & I really want this certain cake. I know I'd have to make it myself because no one else would have the patience to do it as it's rather a challenge.

However, my brother & his partner did make me a cake for my last birthday (it's in my album) which was such a surprise as it's his b'day the same day & I'm the one who's usually slaving away to make his!

rcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcs Posted 22 May 2007 , 5:59pm
post #19 of 58

I understand wanting your Husband to take the kids so you can make your own cake. You can have some"me" time and do something creative that you enjoy without interruption. Plus you know your cake will taste good!...I usually don't get a B-day cake however my daughte did buy me a very pretty one for my last Birthday. What a girl!!! I don't know if I'll make my own B-day cake next year. Depends if I'm hungry for cake at that time!!

jovigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jovigirl Posted 22 May 2007 , 6:05pm
post #20 of 58

Happy b-day!!!

Sometimes I make my own cake, however if I make my cake, I only do the things I like to do, which usually means just decorating it....
I get my DH to do the rest & that includes clean up!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
That's usually the best gift I can get is a clean kitchen after a cake...

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 22 May 2007 , 6:07pm
post #21 of 58

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Last year I HAD to make my own birthday cake, everyone here forgot! it really s***ed pretty bad. It's rolling around in again in 2 weeks, lets see if they remember this time. tapedshut.gif I will probably make myself a really nice Lemon cake with lemon curd filling and whipped icing decorated very pretty and NOT SHARE WITH ANYONE HERE!!! I'll keep everyone posted.

icon_evil.gificon_lol.gif

homemaluhia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homemaluhia Posted 22 May 2007 , 6:08pm
post #22 of 58

Happy Birthday!

I love to make my own cake. I get to try new ideas and techniques without the pressure! But this year my SIL said I shouldn't have to make my own cake and they bought one from Safeway. It was the general consensus that the Safeway cake wasn't up to what they have been used to with my cakes! icon_smile.gif

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 22 May 2007 , 6:11pm
post #23 of 58

Happy Birthday!!! Yep, I make my own!!

shifty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shifty Posted 22 May 2007 , 6:12pm
post #24 of 58

Happy Birthday!
I always make my own cake. Its the only way to get exactly what I want plus the kids love to "help" make the family birthday cakes

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 22 May 2007 , 6:14pm
post #25 of 58

NOPE! Don't make my own cake, but, then again....I never GET a cake! LOL

On my 50th hubby "commissioned" a cake from my cake buddy, but, she was called out of town and couldn't do it. He told me that he was sorry, but, he REFUSED to get me a WalMart cake! Bless his heart! He felt soooo bad!

Beth in KY

diana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diana Posted 22 May 2007 , 6:18pm
post #26 of 58

Happy Birthday!!! party.gifbirthday.gif

I don't make my birthay cakes, I LOVE Baskin Robbins ice cream cakes so my Hubby has to buy me one for my birthday every year....yummy

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 22 May 2007 , 6:20pm
post #27 of 58

Happy Birthday! I know what you mean asking your husband to take the kids for some quiet baking time. I am planning to make my own birthday cake in Nov. a topsy turvy 60s or 80s cake.

mcataylor Posted 22 May 2007 , 6:23pm
post #28 of 58

bethola said,

On my 50th hubby "commissioned" a cake from my cake buddy, but, she was called out of town and couldn't do it. He told me that he was sorry, but, he REFUSED to get me a WalMart cake! Bless his heart! He felt soooo bad!

What a sweetie to put forth the effort!

I really think it's fun but I think jovigirl
is right I need to make sure DH cleans up too! thumbs_up.gif

Maybe in a couple years when the kids are big enough to make me one or when i get sick of eating cake I won't do it but as for now and today i'm having a blast, the cake i baked turned out yummy. On to the mousse and ganache.....

meggylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meggylou Posted 22 May 2007 , 6:28pm
post #29 of 58

I made my cake last year and had fun doing it. The only part that wasn't fun was all the abuse my hubby got from his family about it. They didn't think it was right that I "HAD" to make my own cake. They just couldn't understand that I got to choose the flavor, the filling, the design and the decorations. What Power! icon_biggrin.gif

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 22 May 2007 , 6:29pm
post #30 of 58

"Happy Birthday To You"!!!! party.gif . yes I made my birthday cake this year....I hadn't had a birthday cake since I was a little girl....and so I made my own, not really the way I wanted it, but I knew it would taste great icon_smile.gif .

God Bless,
Sharon

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%