Does Anyone Else Make Their Own Birthday Cakes?

Decorating By mcataylor Updated 24 May 2007 , 1:40pm by Rikke_Denmark

apclassicwed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apclassicwed Posted 22 May 2007 , 6:29pm
post #31 of 58

mcataylor---HAPPY HAPPY Birthday !!
I've not baked my own cake recently since my birthday is between Thanksgiving & Christmas, I'm usually filling orders or family holiday requests. However, I think I will do my own cake this year, so I can experiment with flavors or techniques

Rikke_Denmark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rikke_Denmark Posted 22 May 2007 , 6:31pm
post #32 of 58

Happy birthsday...

I'm a singel mom, so I make all cakes in this house... plus all cakes in my huge family.

But I love it, otherwhise I would not be a baker...

icon_biggrin.gif

SweetChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetChick Posted 22 May 2007 , 6:32pm
post #33 of 58

First Happy Birthday to you!!! I just had a BBQ for both my husband and myself for our birthdays this past weekend and made a seperate cake for both of us. His was a poker table and mine was pink and black. Happy Birthday!!!!!

sweeteecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeteecakes Posted 22 May 2007 , 6:37pm
post #34 of 58

Happy birthday mcataylor! I am from the Lansing too! This is too funny because I am just now seeing more people from little old Lansing on this site. Are you originally from Lansing? We probably know each other with Lansing being such a "big" city!

Have a wonderful birthday!

rlsaxe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlsaxe Posted 22 May 2007 , 6:39pm
post #35 of 58

my birthday is in two weeks, and I'm planning on making my own.....AND ENJOYING eating it too!

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 22 May 2007 , 6:53pm
post #36 of 58

I bake everyone's cake in my family. Two years ago I told DH that I wanted a break and did not want to make my own cake so he bought a cake from a bakery and it was terrible!! Everyone hated it, so from now on I make my own cake, like someone else said it gives me a chance to try new flavors!

nanahaley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanahaley Posted 22 May 2007 , 6:57pm
post #37 of 58

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!! My husband and I have the same birthdate so IF a cake gets made, I do it. Most of the time I don't mind, but sometimes I get rebellious and neither of us get a cake.

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 22 May 2007 , 6:57pm
post #38 of 58

I'm going to start making my own birthday cakes. My MIL usually makes mine and I make the ones for everyone else in the family. I hate to tell my MIL that I don't want her to make my cake this year. Last years was nasty. Not because she doesn't know how to bake, it's because she smokes like a smoke stack. The entire cake tasted like an ashtray. I grinned and beared it, but I don't want her to make it for me this year. Am I a terrible person or what? icon_redface.gif

MiaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MiaT Posted 22 May 2007 , 6:59pm
post #39 of 58

I always make my own cake, and anyone else's that I actually intend to eat with them. It's not that I'm a snob -- the whole reason I learned to bake and decorate in the first place was that I started developing serious food allergies, including nuts and peanuts and I stopped eating anything if I couldn't verify its ingredients. Mom always feels bad that I won't let her bake for me, but even if I checked her kitchen fully, it wouldn't taste like mine (ok, so I'm a LITTLE bit of a snob icon_lol.gif)

JenniferHeath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferHeath Posted 22 May 2007 , 7:05pm
post #40 of 58

No, sadly you're not the only one who makes her birthday cake. I always make mine if I want one. I've even made my own baby shower cake!

mcataylor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcataylor Posted 22 May 2007 , 7:06pm
post #41 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeteecakes

Happy birthday mcataylor! I am from the Lansing too! This is too funny because I am just now seeing more people from little old Lansing on this site. Are you originally from Lansing? We probably know each other with Lansing being such a "big" city!

I'm not originally from Lansing but i am loving it here. So many trees and sooo green. I'm from out west in the desert. My husband is going to law school at Cooley, that's why we moved here. But I'd love to get to know more people from the area. I live in Delta township. Just off Saginaw and highway 69 by the new super walmart.

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 22 May 2007 , 7:27pm
post #42 of 58

Of corse I make my own BD cake. I want a good cake.

sweeteecakes Posted 22 May 2007 , 7:39pm
post #43 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcataylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeteecakes

I'm not originally from Lansing but i am loving it here. So many trees and sooo green. I'm from out west in the desert. My husband is going to law school at Cooley, that's why we moved here. But I'd love to get to know more people from the area. I live in Delta township. Just off Saginaw and highway 69 by the new super walmart.

I know the area. I am at the super Walmart faithfully every week. I have lived in Lansing all of my life up until a year ago. I moved to Holt so my child could attend school high school there. I too would love to get to know others with the same passion for baking. If you would like to meet, PM me your info and I will do the same.

And to answer your question, I have not baked my own cake yet but I will this year. I am like Janette...I want a good cake! icon_biggrin.gif

lillykaci1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lillykaci1 Posted 22 May 2007 , 7:45pm
post #44 of 58

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
My hubby just asked me if I was going to make my own cake this year and I told him that I didn't want a cake. I have not ate cake in like a year. I make them and ask everyone if they are good, but I don't like to eat cake anymore. Love making them though!!!! He also asked me what I was doing for his birthday...lol Anyway Happy Birthday again hope it's a great one.

Breezy522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Breezy522 Posted 22 May 2007 , 7:47pm
post #45 of 58

mcataylor
from one bday girl to another happy bday...
Breanna

sweeteecakes Posted 22 May 2007 , 7:53pm
post #46 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy522

mcataylor
Breanna

Happy Birthday Breezy!

sillyoldpoohbear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillyoldpoohbear Posted 22 May 2007 , 8:32pm
post #47 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetness_221

I'm going to start making my own birthday cakes. My MIL usually makes mine and I make the ones for everyone else in the family. I hate to tell my MIL that I don't want her to make my cake this year. Last years was nasty. Not because she doesn't know how to bake, it's because she smokes like a smoke stack. The entire cake tasted like an ashtray. I grinned and beared it, but I don't want her to make it for me this year. Am I a terrible person or what? icon_redface.gif

Oh that is so bad & I don't think you're a terrible person. Smoking has got to be my biggest pet peeve & especially around food. Fair enough what you do in your own time in your own house is up to you but not when you're making food. Now I'm a terrible person!

mcataylor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcataylor Posted 22 May 2007 , 8:36pm
post #48 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy522

mcataylor
Breanna

Thanks so much! Happy birthday to you! Are you making your own cake?

Christie

JenniferHeath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferHeath Posted 23 May 2007 , 1:51am
post #49 of 58

I forgot earlier, Happy Birthday to you!!!!!

Breezy522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Breezy522 Posted 23 May 2007 , 1:56am
post #50 of 58

No I am not making my own cake. Its funny but I am not a big sweets fan. icon_surprised.gif

mdsquared Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdsquared Posted 23 May 2007 , 2:19am
post #51 of 58

I can't remember the last time I had a birthday cake. Depending on how I'm feeling, I may make mine this year.

cecilialovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cecilialovescake Posted 23 May 2007 , 3:56am
post #52 of 58

Happy Birthday!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

I've made my own last three birthday cakes. when i turned 17(the year i started decorating) I actually made two, one for my family party and one for a party with my friends. this year i'm going to make a rainbow brite cake icon_smile.gif and im super excited

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 May 2007 , 2:07pm
post #53 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof4luvscakes

I make so many cakes, the last thing I want is CAKE!!...

Me too! No cake for me! (Please! I'm begging you! No cake for me!)

yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 23 May 2007 , 6:52pm
post #54 of 58

Now that my nephew is 24, we celebrate our birthday's together since they are a week apart. I volunteered to make our cake this year for the family party. But my brother and sister-in-law insisted on providing the cake since "it wouldn't be right" for me to make my own. They bought a Wal-Mart ready made cake. You know, the ones they have in the case, you pick it out, and they write the names.

Oh, how I wished I'd the cake myself! That Wal-Mart cake tasted horrible. Next year, I'm going to insist on making my own to "save them the trouble of ordering/picking it up".

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 24 May 2007 , 1:41am
post #55 of 58

Yes I do!

nicolevoorhout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolevoorhout Posted 24 May 2007 , 2:16am
post #56 of 58

I make all the cakes for my family, children and adults, everyone gets to pick what they want and then I make it, it's also part of the birthday present. Seeing no-one else in the family feels they are creative enough I do my own cake, but the party is not at my house, so I get lunch and no clean up, and I get to make what ever I want, so it's not all bad. Now that my niece is 10 though and showing interest in cooking etc, I might encourage her mum to let her have a go, after all it's the thought that counts right! icon_biggrin.gif

I loved the earlier post though about the effort of making a cake and then getting the pan and all the goodies as a gift, what a cool idea! icon_lol.gif

maryak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryak Posted 24 May 2007 , 3:10am
post #57 of 58

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Yes I make my own birthday cake. I also make the cakes for my colleagues birthdays, so when I last made my birthday cake for work, I charged the company for it!! icon_lol.gif

Rikke_Denmark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rikke_Denmark Posted 24 May 2007 , 1:40pm
post #58 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyoldpoohbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetness_221

Oh that is so bad & I don't think you're a terrible person. Smoking has got to be my biggest pet peeve & especially around food. Fair enough what you do in your own time in your own house is up to you but not when you're making food. Now I'm a terrible person!

I don't think it is wrong for you to bake our cake. Tell your MIL that you want to try something new, then she will proberly understand icon_wink.gif

I'm turning 30 this year and finising my edducation as Baker all in october... Cant wait to invite everyone for a Halloween parti. My brother is a cheff and will make the food, BUT I will make a ton of cakes... Cant wait icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gificon_evil.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%