Are You Kidding Me!!?

Decorating By lepaz Updated 25 May 2007 , 4:01pm by kelleym

hcouso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hcouso Posted 24 May 2007 , 2:24am
post #91 of 139

I just have to say, it sucks to be new and not know what to charge. I charged $60 for a "baby" cake BEFORE I knew how much work went into it and by then you can't change your prices. That has to be the most undercharged cake I have ever done. I can't imagine having the ball in the customers court. I feel your pain.

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 24 May 2007 , 2:42am
post #92 of 139

I feel for you guys, I wish these ignorant people had a special mark on their forhead so we could tell them apart and just stay away from them.

I have been so fortunate so far (knock on wood/head/whatever).
Everyone I have baked for has been really appreciative of the work I did. They have like the product and I or my DH have been the only critics (he is really picky so I love it when he tells it like it is, then I change something or change recipe.)

It took about 2 1/2 weeks to get together with a friend last month to find out how the cake was and I was getting a bit nervous and when we finally talked, she was super happy and loved it and it was great.....

I just know if I got into a bad situation I would want to fix it, but that would also be the last time I ever baked for that person.
If I am mistreated somewhere I do not go back, there is enough people and places in this world that we dont need this kind of disrespect. If we are lucky enought these people will end up buying their cakes from Wally world because no one will want to bake for them EVER!
I think the best way to judge a person you are going to make a cake for if you are doing it as a hobby or from home, is to ask them if they are a baker or if they bake or cook. Because if everything the make is out of a box into the microwave and maybe onto a plate, then I wonder if they even deserve our cakes.
If they dont have a passion for food, why should we work so hard to give them a product they:
1. wont appreciate the work and timethat goes into it.
2. wont appreciate the ingredients that go into it.
3. wont appreciate the love that goes into it
4. Will not think it's worth compensating us for it.
ARGH!

I am thinking we need to start to interview these people and figure out if we want to make a cake for them!!!

Ok, maybe it's the hormones, but man I would like to get a hold of these people and have them spend just a couple hours in the kitchen with us to see how much work goes into it and then make us look in the eyes, and still say "It's just cake" !

NO MORE CAKE FOR YOU!!!! is what I say!

Lepaz, I really hope you DH came home with a check.

If he has not, I do suggest you contact her, make nice at first, ask how the research went. Does she need a few sites to visit to help her determine how much more she should give you since you are basically just asking her to reimburse you for the supplies and that a cake like you did needs an extra $60.00 just for the time and work involved. All this still talking with a smile. Hopefully she will get the gist and give your husband a check tomorrow. I dont think there is need to give her a piece of your mind over the phone. Hopefully she will come around. But if she does not respond or says it's was not worth it. I would say in the nicest tone you can muster, I am sorry you feel that way, I expect my $40.00 and then there will be NO MORE CAKE FOR YOU EVER! Ok, maybe the hormones, but COME ON!

I would hate for your DH to have to defend you at the office, that's just not the place.

Here is hoping you get a big fat check.

Good Luck!

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 24 May 2007 , 4:39am
post #93 of 139

Wow! Still no payment? Chick has a lot of nerve! icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

Torte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Torte Posted 24 May 2007 , 5:18am
post #94 of 139

That just horrible. I guess they will not be eating anymore of your cakes.

JavaJunkieChrissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JavaJunkieChrissy Posted 24 May 2007 , 12:12pm
post #95 of 139

I'm new at the pricing thing and it can be hard.

I have to say that I would have probably charged more for the castle cake BUT...I understand why you didn't..your trying to get started...want to give a discount etc....I've done this too!!!

From the bit of excperience I've had I would give it a day or two....call her! I would NOT e-mail her. The reason I would avoid email....she can say that she didn't get it...she didn't check it etc..... I would then tell her that I would appreciate payment for the cake. IF she gives you more I would thank her....if she gives you the set price that you asked for I would again thank her.....and THEN I would promise myself to NEVER to a cake for her again!! If she feels the freedom to do this on the first cake that you've made for her can you imagine what she's capable of a few cakes down the road. Sometimes it's better to just say....no thank you to an order. icon_wink.gif

In the long run everything will work out. You will get some sort of payment and you have also learned a lesson about payment. It's better to learn this lesson with a cake that you charge $40 for then a cake that your charging $400 for!!

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 24 May 2007 , 12:40pm
post #96 of 139

cant' wait to hear about this one...and to both of you "cake hookers", (and I say that grinning because I have been accused of the same!!) I was taught something in a class and I will remember it forever.

You can charge whatever you want the first time. After you've done it, you chalk it up to experience and double the price. If you have a customer that has the nerve to ask WHY-you simply say it was a "test cake" and NOW it's NOT.

hoped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hoped Posted 24 May 2007 , 1:01pm
post #97 of 139

Good luck lepaz!
You obviously have a lot of support here on CC!
I am not a confrontational person, but even I am ready to "talk" to this woman for you!
Keep us updated!

gateaux Posted 24 May 2007 , 1:09pm
post #98 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoped

Good luck lepaz!
You obviously have a lot of support here on CC!
I am not a confrontational person, but even I am ready to "talk" to this woman for you!
Keep us updated!

Same here, my bark is much scarrier than my bite! I always know how to help people say something. When I am on the spot confronted with things, it's very seldom that anything comes out!

The few times, I have been able to do it, people around me just kind of fell on their chairs. Not knowing who I turned into! I have a doosy from about 4 1/2 years ago, which everyone knows I was right about, but I still feel bad! Oh well you live with it. Sometimes I feel like things dont come out because they are not suppose to.

Lepaz, we are here for you!

Good Luck

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 24 May 2007 , 1:28pm
post #99 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by merissa

okay wait....look at the other side of the coin, maybe she doesnt want to rip you off either. I think you should have quoted her a price before you ever made her the cake, you should not leave it up to her (been there done that). so unless you told her how much to start, maybe she is just trying to be fair...maybe not, but it is just a thought.

I haven't read all the responses but I agree with this. She may think the $45 was not enough and is trying to see what "street value" for something like that is worth so she can pay you more!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 24 May 2007 , 1:42pm
post #100 of 139

I definetly would call her and confront her now. Just say to her nicely that you still havent received payment for the cake and you wondering if it was sent out. If she says she mailed it then give it a couple of days and if you dont, call her right back and tell her you expect the payment to be brought to you in cash. If its one thing Ive learned, is that if you give people an inch, they will take a mile. Let her know your not a push over and that your in business for a reason. Not to do thank you jobs!

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 24 May 2007 , 2:00pm
post #101 of 139

From what I understood of the original post, this lady received the cake last Friday - she's had enough time to research, lepaz has been more than generous. It's becoming appalling. Even if she didn't have the money, was waiting til payday, anything like that - she needs to communicate.

I agree that many just don't know or understand the time and dedication that goes into doing what we do. But if you agree to a certain price beforehand, you understood to a certain extent. There's no room for negotiation after the fact unless something was seriously wrong with the product you received. And she's said nothing about that either.

I feel so invested in this right along with you lepaz! icon_lol.gif I hope this lady does the right thing.

Where's Judge Judy when you need her?

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 24 May 2007 , 2:05pm
post #102 of 139

I agree Ironbaker! A week is more than enough time. If you dont want to do the confrontation, Im sure all of here will call her for you! She's has to understand that you dont mess with a cake decorator and their CC members!!!

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 24 May 2007 , 2:17pm
post #103 of 139

All I can say it...I take 50% down prior to making the cake. It's non refundable within 7 days of the date and I collect the balance upon pick/up or delivery. No money, No cake.
Jacqui

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 24 May 2007 , 2:19pm
post #104 of 139

I don't know about this theory that she is investigating prices to pay MORE. That would mean she is a thoughtful person and her actions prove otherwise!

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 24 May 2007 , 2:21pm
post #105 of 139

I don't think it needs to be said but I'm going to say it for all the other's out there that are just starting out!

CASH BEFORE STARTING!!!!! If they give you a check make sure it's good BEFORE you buy or make ANYTHING!!!

I made the 4 cakes for my step daughter (flowers and barbie character cake) (it was before I was aware we can't sell character cakes) I was made aware before payment was received so she only paid for the 3 flowers and my time icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif Anyway. It was my step daughter... I trusted everything would be alright. I delivered the cakes 10 minutes late, I forgot the childs present lol So I set up with all the exwife's family and friends watching feeling even more out of place then I was to begin with... Anyway the party went on for 3 hours and then it wsa swimming time lol. So she (the ex wife) goes to change into her swim suit (she still loves flirting with my husband even though she's remarried) and comes out in a bikini too small for her lmao Anyway!!!!! it takes her 3 1/2 hours to give me a check for $35.~ 1 I undercharged BIG TIME! 2 I was stupid enough to trust her that she'd pay me on delivery 3 it was a check!!!!!! an out of state check at that! (they had just moved back to MD from NC a few months before and hadn't changed things yet) So needless to say I had to deposit it in my bank and wait 3 weeks for it to clear!!!!!

Lesson learned! Do NOT accept payment in form of out of state check lol. Do NOT trust your husband's ex wife whom has always and will always hate you with every ounce in her body to pay you upfront lol. Do NOT do favors for family reguardless of who it is lol....

So yeah always get your money upfront! and always have cash or LOCAL check and make sure it clears before finallizing the order icon_wink.gif

lepaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lepaz Posted 24 May 2007 , 4:20pm
post #106 of 139

Dear Cake Support Group,
The suspense is over, the check came. After all this, I am just hoping it does not bounce. What I have learned: make sure to exchange cash before cake; make sure they UNDERSTAND their cake quote; NEVER, NEVER undercharge by as much as I did; NEVER make any cakes for this lady again!!! Thank you all for your support and your laughs (you all are cra'zay)! I truely would not have gone through this with any grace had I not had you folks there for advice and ideas. See you around in the forums!!

Schmoop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Schmoop Posted 24 May 2007 , 4:22pm
post #107 of 139

How much did she pay you and what did she say????

robinleah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinleah Posted 24 May 2007 , 4:27pm
post #108 of 139

yes, what did she pay. We have been waiting with baited breath. What was the result of her research. That she got a good deal. That she will not get again. you must feel relieved.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 24 May 2007 , 4:45pm
post #109 of 139

Goodie!! I'm glad it came and I am also curious as to whether or not she said anything to your husband about her "research". icon_lol.gif

She probably realized she got one hell of a deal and wrote that check quick.

lepaz Posted 24 May 2007 , 4:46pm
post #110 of 139

Sorry to say it was for the quoted amount of $45.00. But it was a learning experience. I feel cheap and used, I need to take a shower!!!!

reesesob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reesesob Posted 24 May 2007 , 4:47pm
post #111 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepaz

Sorry to say it was for the quoted amount of $45.00. But it was a learning experience. I feel cheap and used, I need to take a shower!!!!

I'm sorry to laugh... But your shower line.... WAY TOO FUNNY!!!

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 25 May 2007 , 2:33am
post #112 of 139

I am so sorry that she did not pay you more for the wait. She sure should have.

gateaux Posted 25 May 2007 , 2:42am
post #113 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepaz

So sorry it turned out this way, at least you got the whole amount you quoted her earlier.

I was getting worried for you that she would not give you the whole amount! thumbsdown.gif

I wish there was an emoticon with bubbles I could send you right now!!

All the best on your next cake. icon_cool.gif

Let's all remember payment before cake, this should be one of our mantra's - No payment no cake, no payment no cake, no payment no cake...... No payment, no cake for you! yeah that's it! icon_twisted.gif

Good Luck. thumbs_up.gif

zubia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zubia Posted 25 May 2007 , 3:19am
post #114 of 139

What happened to tipping ? are we so cheap that we cannot appreciate good work?????

lepaz Posted 25 May 2007 , 4:30am
post #115 of 139

I was finally able to post the picture of my cake. I miss it! I want it back---!!!!

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 25 May 2007 , 4:45am
post #116 of 139

Wah, nothing is popping up under your name, so I can't see!

Melissa

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 25 May 2007 , 4:50am
post #117 of 139

I think the gallery is having issues! icon_cry.gif I am looking for a cake I saw. I can't find it!

Lepaz- I sure am glad you got paid! Can't wait to see your cake! If you can see it copy and paste the link for us huh?!? I am sure all of us watching would appreciate it!

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 25 May 2007 , 5:07am
post #118 of 139

Lepaz, I just saw your castle on the new pics of the homepage! It was gorgeous! I didn't know the whole story behind it at first; I just saw this beautiful castle on the new pics and clicked on... I don't know if that "lady" (I use the term loosely icon_twisted.gif ) has a conscience or not but I'd think that she should be ashamed of herself! What a filch-monger!!!! I bet she must've gotten tons of compliments on that cake. I hope she DOES want another one of your cakes so you can tell her where to stick it icon_razz.gif I've been burned before (long time ago) and ever since then I only take checks from my regular customers and of course it has to be when the cake is being picked up. I always joke (NOT joking) that I'll beat my fists into the cake right in front of their faces if I don't see some Mula in hand (after I've photographed it, of course! icon_wink.gif ) icon_lol.gif Don't feel bad, though. You know that you did a fabulous job and have integrity on your side; she is a little person indeed thumbsdown.gif

gateaux Posted 25 May 2007 , 6:09am
post #119 of 139

Lepaz, none of your pictures are coming up, I really want to see your cake.

Is anyone else having this problem.

Maybe it's just too late... ok patience, maybe it will be better in the morning.

Good Luck

idoweddingcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idoweddingcookies Posted 25 May 2007 , 6:33am
post #120 of 139

having problems as well. Haven't been able to open any pics in the gallery and none of "my photos" all day.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%