Finally! Easy Way To Get Perfect Corners With Buttercream!!

Decorating By DesignerCakes Updated 5 Jul 2009 , 4:30pm by Rosie2

DesignerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignerCakes Posted 23 May 2007 , 1:35am
post #61 of 118

Ok, here's a square dummy with the two edgers I used last night (click to see a larger image of this pic):

The edger to the left is the SIDE edger, which smoothes the side (and the bottom when using a fondant covered board).

The edger to the right is the SHARP TOP edger (which makes the sharp corners and edges).

Hopes this helps.
LL

DesignerCakes Posted 23 May 2007 , 1:54am
post #62 of 118

Yep. that's who gave me Valerie's contact info. I think they got such an overwhelming response from so many CC'er's that they decided to place their order sooner rather than later...LOL. That's great! I think their prices are decent given what it cost to ship items overseas.

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 23 May 2007 , 2:55am
post #63 of 118

I got the rounded one I wish I had seen those. May have to get even though at this moment I haven't done any cakes in several months. Yes months. Oh well. Family comes first. Now my next cake is for my youngest son's wedding in July I may need them then, we'll see.

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 23 May 2007 , 3:11am
post #64 of 118

Thanks Gingerela, that's a great picture! I definitely want one of the edgers you ordered from Valerie and then I'll order another from GSA when they get some in. I always need more than one of everything because I seem to misplace tools just at the moment I need them!!! Please pm me with all the purchasing details!!

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 23 May 2007 , 1:58pm
post #65 of 118

Hi,
Just received a reply from Alan at Global Sugar Art and he stated that he expects to have the "Sharp Top" edger back in stock in 2-3 weeks. Just thought I'd pass this info on. icon_smile.gif

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 23 May 2007 , 2:17pm
post #66 of 118

K I have a suggestion here guys. You can get tools like these in the states for lot's less at the hardware store in the drywall section. Here are some pics of the tools themselves. And what's better? The top one is like 10 bucks and the bottom is like 8.
LL
LL

DesignerCakes Posted 23 May 2007 , 2:21pm
post #67 of 118

chaptlps, this is the tool I used! Do you use these? If so, how do you avoid the metal cutting into your buttercream? Also, they are quite heavy compared to a plastic smoother. Please do share. I'm a sucker for a good bargain.

cathyfowler662 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyfowler662 Posted 23 May 2007 , 2:27pm
post #68 of 118

thanks for sharing!!

chaptlps Posted 23 May 2007 , 2:33pm
post #69 of 118

O man hun, I haven't used em on bc but have used em on drywall. They just seem to be a far less expensive way to accomplish the objective. LOL
I will have to go n get some new ones (the ones I do have have drywall mud all over em. lol) But I do like using the large 12" stainless paint edger for the tops (makes em nice n level) But like I said I'll have to go n get new corner tools so that I can use em on cakes instead of the wall. icon_biggrin.gif

p.s. just let me say though that these would work great on those non crusting bc's and whipped icings out there. I learned how to smooth my frosting without it getting crusted. So that's where we differ I guess. Whipped icings are notorious for not being able to get nice edges n corners. But these tools would work good for that particular technique.

DesignerCakes Posted 23 May 2007 , 2:44pm
post #70 of 118

Please do share the technique because I'd love to smooth a cake with IMBC which doesn't crust.

I've used these to tape corners with drywall mud and they are definitely awesome - very easy to use, but they didn't work on my cake. Take pics, if you can. I am sure I am not the only one dying to see!

Gotta love this place.

chaptlps Posted 23 May 2007 , 2:47pm
post #71 of 118

I will see what I can do hun.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 23 May 2007 , 2:48pm
post #72 of 118

Gingerela,
I'd be interested in having several of these edgers. The one that does the corner and the board, was that on GSA'a site? Did I miss a link to the place in London where you can get these? I'm trying to get my pool taken care of, pack for a trip AND keep up here. UGH!!! Thanks for all this info by the way.
Carol

missym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missym Posted 23 May 2007 , 2:54pm
post #73 of 118

This is awesome! I'd love to have one of these too!

DesignerCakes Posted 25 May 2007 , 10:43am
post #74 of 118

These are the links to the edgers on ebay. Theywill be arriving on Tuesday.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA.....&rd=1&rd=1

If they don't work, try holding down the Ctrl' key before you hit enter in your browser window.

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 25 May 2007 , 12:06pm
post #75 of 118

Hmmmm, I can't get to that link at all. If I do a seach, what should I put in? I tried cake decorating edgers, edgers, etc. and can't find anything. Thanks much.......

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 25 May 2007 , 1:47pm
post #77 of 118

Perfect. Thanks so much!!!!

sjbeatty8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjbeatty8 Posted 25 May 2007 , 2:28pm
post #79 of 118

Just ordered one from you... I hope they work as good as you say... I hate corners!

dazey1050 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dazey1050 Posted 25 May 2007 , 3:07pm
post #80 of 118

Great! I just ordered too.

gina1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gina1221 Posted 25 May 2007 , 3:18pm
post #81 of 118

Thanks Gingerela for posting the message and making the edger available to all of us. That was definitely above and beyond... and of course, I just odered one. icon_biggrin.gif I've been avoiding doing square cakes (even though I have the pans) just because of the corners. Thanks!!

amodeoandrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amodeoandrea Posted 25 May 2007 , 4:38pm
post #82 of 118

Thanks! I just ordered mine too.

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 25 May 2007 , 5:10pm
post #83 of 118

Does it have to be crusting BC?

DesignerCakes Posted 25 May 2007 , 7:20pm
post #84 of 118

I don't think it would work on a non-crusting buttercream because the edger needs to be able to slide on the surface. On a crusting buttercream, you would use a Viva paper towel folded over the edge (or straight up if doing the side) and then smooth it with a light hand using the edger. If the edger can't glide on the surfcace it would stick to the buttercream since you can't use the Viva.

Believe me when I tell you that I would give anything to find something to smooth non-crusting buttercreams because except for one client, all I use is IMBC which doesn't crust.

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 25 May 2007 , 7:32pm
post #85 of 118

OK... I wonder if you used parchment paper on slightly chilled IMBC if it would work.... Thanks.

DesignerCakes Posted 25 May 2007 , 7:49pm
post #86 of 118

I don't think it would work on a non-crusting buttercream because the edger needs to be able to slide on the surface. On a crusting buttercream, you would use a Viva paper towel folded over the edge (or straight up if doing the side) and then smooth it with a light hand using the edger. If the edger can't glide on the surfcace it would stick to the buttercream since you can't use the Viva.

Believe me when I tell you that I would give anything to find something to smooth non-crusting buttercreams because except for one client, all I use is IMBC which doesn't crust.

DesignerCakes Posted 25 May 2007 , 8:05pm
post #87 of 118

I think I will try that this weekend, Who knows? It just might work!

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 25 May 2007 , 8:48pm
post #88 of 118

Thanks!!!!!!!! On my way to eBay!!!!!!!!!! icon_lol.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 29 May 2007 , 11:48pm
post #89 of 118

Just snagged 2 of them! God, if only my edges and corners could look as laser sharp as Sugarshack's and Antonia's!!!!!! I'm hoping this will help. icon_smile.gif

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 30 May 2007 , 12:21am
post #90 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerela

I think I will try that this weekend, Who knows? It just might work!

did you try it on chilled imbc? i use imbc and whipped bc's too, so i'll buy one if you can chill it and use parchment paper to get it to work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%