KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 21 May 2005 , 1:05am
post #1 of 8

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I used the recipe:
Ingredients

2 envelopes (2 tablespoons) unflavored gelatin
2 tablespoons cold water
2 cups light corn syrup

I've tried three times and I cannot get the gelatin to dissolve properly. I don't know how I'm going to make the water because this is driving me insane.

7 replies
Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 21 May 2005 , 2:48am
post #2 of 8

How did you prepare it? Did you do this?

1. Sprinkle the gelatin over the cold water in a small saucepan and let set for about 5 minutes. Heat on low until the gelatin has become clear/dissolved - DO NOT BOIL.

2. Add the syrup and heat thoroughly.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 21 May 2005 , 3:27am
post #3 of 8

Hey KarenOR,

I tried making that a few weeks ago. It didn't turn out right for me either. I think it needed enough cold water to cover the gelatin. When I did mine the water & gelatin never mixed together. It looked like a big blob from a scary movie. Veejaytx has tried it & it did the same thing. Recipe says not to boil but I think it can be boiled on a low boil.

I decided to go ahead & buy the wilton piping gel. After buying the gelatin & syrup your probably paying more.

If you ever get it right please share w/ us~ Good luck!

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 21 May 2005 , 3:34am
post #4 of 8

Yep, horror movie, exactly!!
Like a gel glob and I couldn't get it to completely dissolve. I tried it at various temperatures, too.
Yes, Lisa, I used those instructions.
I finally gave up. I added some corn syrup and then strained off some of the non-globby stuff and will try and mix a little of that tomorrow. Who knows.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 21 May 2005 , 3:35am
post #5 of 8

The thing I apparently did wrong the first time was to stir the gelatin while it was warming up and it went all foamy and stayed that way.

The second batch I left alone until the gelatin dissolved, only stirred it once or twice, and it was okay. It seemed awfully thin, but when I put it in the refrigerator it thickened up a lot...it is like rubber, but when I microwave it a few seconds it is fine to use.

Hope this helps. veejay

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 21 May 2005 , 3:43am
post #6 of 8

I've never made the piping gel. I'm just going by my experience with making some custards. I soften the gelatin in a small glass first and then add it to the pan. Think that would help? I think the water does need to cover the gelatin to soften it so to do it in a pan...it have to be a really small pan.

One plus with buying the piping gel already prepared (like the one Wilton sells) is that it doesn't have to be refrigerated.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 22 May 2005 , 3:35am
post #7 of 8

Heehee, but the big minus here in Canada is the price, a whopping $5.39 for the little tub, give me a break! Two batches of stabilized whipping cream and the darn tub is close to empty, grrrrh! They don't even have the larger tub here.
Hugs SQuirrelly

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 22 May 2005 , 5:36pm
post #8 of 8

Hi, I took my piping gel out of the refrigerator and it has come to a usable thickness. I don't think it required refrigeration, I just put it in there because it was so thin I wanted to see if it would set up and it did!

Lisa, I think you are right about getting the gelatin dissolved before you heat it up, and then not stir it too much as it heats, that should make the difference.
veejay

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%