Cleaning Your Tips

Decorating By doreenre Updated 19 May 2007 , 3:00pm by CarolAnn

doreenre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doreenre Posted 18 May 2007 , 1:52pm
post #1 of 18

What do you use? It's tricky getting in there to clean out all the icing.

17 replies
mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 18 May 2007 , 1:57pm
post #2 of 18

i try to force the icing out of the tip first with water in the bag. if i cant do that i usually use a toothpick or blow in the end of the tip. Then I wash with dawn and hot water. To get any greasy residue off I rinse then in 50/50 vinegar water.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 18 May 2007 , 2:01pm
post #3 of 18

I place them in the dishwasher in the basket for the sliverware. They come out nice and clean every time.

chocolateandpeanutbutter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolateandpeanutbutter Posted 18 May 2007 , 2:02pm
post #4 of 18

I use a little spiral brush for stubborn tips. It's about the same size as one used to clean jewellery. Toothpicks are great for tiny holes, too!

Mostly I rinse them and put them in the silverware caddy in my dishwasher.

Florimbio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Florimbio Posted 18 May 2007 , 2:16pm
post #5 of 18

I soak them in a cup with dish soap, then put them in the dishwasher...turn out great

2yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2yummy Posted 18 May 2007 , 3:23pm
post #6 of 18

One thing I know NOT to do is put them in vinegar! Learned that the hard way, it tarnishes the finish. icon_sad.gif

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 18 May 2007 , 5:34pm
post #7 of 18

Another way to clean them (I read about it here on CC!) is to put them in a container with a little dish soap and COVER THE TIPS COMPLETELY WITH WATER, then microwave them for a few minutes. Let them cool and rinse them and they will be clean!

YES, you can microwave them as long as ALL of the metal is covered with water!

~Chelle

Daisy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisy1 Posted 18 May 2007 , 7:32pm
post #8 of 18

I put mine in a sauce pan with dish soap and water and boil for a few mintues.

BlairsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlairsMom Posted 18 May 2007 , 7:36pm
post #9 of 18

I use my sprayer with hot water and then toss them in the basket in my dishwasher. Quick and simple!

aurasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aurasmom Posted 18 May 2007 , 11:16pm
post #10 of 18

I have found using a Q-tip to scrub the inside of the tubes. When I am finished I just toss the Q-tip.

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 19 May 2007 , 6:53am
post #11 of 18

I was having a hard time cleaning them too. I got fed up and invested in a tip brush cleaner , got it from michaels and it's the perfect size for the tips. My frustration has ended icon_smile.gif

alibugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alibugs Posted 19 May 2007 , 7:06am
post #12 of 18

chelleb1974 knows best. Thats what I do. Learned it on here. I don't even get all the icing out. I just do this once, drain, and do it again. They are clean and oil free.

clsilvus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clsilvus Posted 19 May 2007 , 7:12am
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelleb1974

Another way to clean them (I read about it here on CC!) is to put them in a container with a little dish soap and COVER THE TIPS COMPLETELY WITH WATER, then microwave them for a few minutes. Let them cool and rinse them and they will be clean!

~Chelle

DO THIS!!!! I learnt it here. It's the ONLY way I clean my tips!!!

motherof2princesses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherof2princesses Posted 19 May 2007 , 2:14pm
post #14 of 18

I bought a tip brush at walmart. And I wash them in regular palmolive.

Angellcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angellcakes Posted 19 May 2007 , 2:17pm
post #15 of 18

Silly question... When you refer to "tip brush cleaner" are you talking about the little brush from Wilton? Can it be put into the dishwasher?

camcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
camcat Posted 19 May 2007 , 2:19pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelleb1974

~Chelle

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif Works like a charm!

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 19 May 2007 , 2:43pm
post #17 of 18

Thanks for posting this, I have had problems cleanning my tips as well. I basically just find it's a chore....

Anyhow,

I use what so many tips that you guys have mentioned:

toothpick to take out icing, I then put them in a little bowl with hot water and dawn. I mix it up a bit and let them soak for about 5 minutes to loosen the grease.

then I use the little wilton brush and clean them out some more and rinse.

Then I put them in a little bowl with a few drops of bleach and hot water for the last rinse.

Then I turn them over on a paper towel and I am good.

I forgot a bunch of them recently in a bowl and found the bowl a day or so later, well I had to buy about 8 new tips, since they rusted. Then I found another while I was decorating - Orange looking icing then I was using White Icing-- took a fee minutes to figure it out!
Anyhow, I have checked all my tips and now replaced all the ones I needed too. I wont do that again.

Also just another tip, for those of you always looking for your tips, I wrote in the bottom of my tip tray the number of the tip stored in that spot. I have them in numerical order and it works great.
When I go to a class and I need a tip, I find it in seconds, everyone else is looking and pulling out their glasses!
For the low #'s like the 1-9 I have several spots that way when I use a lot of colors which I like to do, I dont have to worry. I have 5 of # 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 9 so I have 2 or 3 spots for those, otherwise the case would not close! I have 2 large trays at this time, I only have about 1/2 of the tips available, in another 10 tips I will need another tray. But it works great!

Oh I also have about 30 couplers and I find I try to keep 8 parchment bags ready at all times, so I can just get going. Once I clean up everything I prep more cones.

I used the sugarcraft list of tips available and printed it. I keep it around and update my inventory that way I know what other tips I want to get.

http://www.sugarcraft.com/

Good Luck.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 19 May 2007 , 3:00pm
post #18 of 18

I don't find washing my tips to be a chore. I push a finger,gloved if it's colored, into the tip to force out the icing then blow in the decorating end of the tip to loosen the remaining icing. Then I put them in a lg custard cup add a couple pumps of dish soap, Polmolive works just as good as Dawn, fill with hot water and let it sit overnight. Next day I use a baby nipple brush, soap and hot water to clean to the tip. Works easy as pie (oops I said the P word) for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%