Cakes Going Flat Why?

Decorating By sarajohnson Updated 18 May 2007 , 5:22pm by chelleb1974

sarajohnson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarajohnson Posted 18 May 2007 , 1:21pm
post #1 of 5

Anytime I try and bake either a mini cake or mini dome cakes, basically anything mini, the cake bakes just fine then when I take it out it sinks down very far, why? I use a box cake and add pudding mix, sour cream, an extra egg, a little sugar and flour, is that why it goes flat?

Please help, thank you

Also is there an easier way to do mini's? I tried the sheet cake and cutting them out but the cake just crumbled.

4 replies
jobartwo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobartwo Posted 18 May 2007 , 3:44pm
post #2 of 5

Are you sure that your oven is the correct temp. I know that can affect it, also if you open the oven during baking, that can cause them to fall also. I have not found the easiest way to do minis. I love to do them, but they are buggers to decorate. Hope someone else can answer that. Good luck!

shanzah67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanzah67 Posted 18 May 2007 , 3:59pm
post #3 of 5

I haven't had this problem but would be interested to see what others say. Whenever I have a cake baking I "warn" the rest of my family to not open the oven door--- "If you're lookin', it ain't cookin!"

I use a boxed cake mix but only add what the box says so I'm not sure if the extra ingredients caused this or not--maybe it is the pudding mix???
Someone told me that Duncan Hines is the way to go.

There is a recipe somewhere on this site for making Dense cake used for 3D cakes.

Good Luck and I hope you figure out what it causing this!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 18 May 2007 , 4:04pm
post #4 of 5
chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 18 May 2007 , 5:22pm
post #5 of 5

I have had this happen a few times and it turned out that I was taking them out of the oven *just* when they were done. Now, when they are *just* done I leave them in for another minute or 2 (or 3 or 4...) and have not had this problem again!

~Chelle

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%