Conflicting Cake Advise....

Decorating By nicksmom Updated 12 Jun 2007 , 10:42pm by CherryBomb

nicksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicksmom Posted 16 May 2007 , 1:47am
post #1 of 28

ok I'm confused now icon_confused.gif I ALWAYS freeze my cakes and frost FROZEN,then I put them in the fridge till the event etc..well I just read if you freeze a cake you have to unthaw it still wrapped and for 12hrs ,AND NEVER put the cake in the fridge!!!!!!!! icon_confused.gif WHAT???????????so then is frosting a frozen cake(I do it cause its far easier icon_biggrin.gif )and then putting in the fridge a food safety issue/danger?BECAUSE let me tell you.....I have a huge wedding cake in a couple weeks and I have ALL 11 cakes baked wrapped and frozen already.the wedding is on a saturday,so my plan of action (less stress) was to start the sunday prior to that.I figured start sunday and get 2 frozen cakes frosted and decorated then put them in thier boxes and leave in fridge till saturday,then monday do 2 more cakes the same and so on till thier done.advise please icon_rolleyes.gif

27 replies
mizshelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mizshelli Posted 16 May 2007 , 1:59am
post #2 of 28

I ALWAYS freeze my cakes......I frost them frozen then fridge them, ALWAYS.
never had a complaint!!!

Tramski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tramski Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:04am
post #3 of 28

I haven't frozen many cakes but I would think to keep them moist putting them in the fridge would be good so its not such a majorly drastic temperature change.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:05am
post #4 of 28

I wrap my cakes HOT and put them right into the freezer (or frig) until needed. Then I take them out, thaw at room temp and frost as required. I get compliments all the time on how moist they are. This works for both my scratch and doctored box cakes. I also put cakes in the frig with frosting on to firm them up if need be. The only danger about the frig is that the cake needs to be completely covered in frosting -- the part where the cake is exposed to the air in the frig is where it gets stale.

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:13am
post #5 of 28

Good Post!! thumbs_up.gif

I've recently started freezing cakes (wrap in plastic wrap then I put them in a Ziploc baggie) for convenience mostly.
I decorate them but don't put them into the fridge. Is this wrong then? The cakes are moist and taste great according to friends/family.

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:20am
post #6 of 28

I have frozen cakes, decorated them and put them in the refrigerator and they were fine.

However, I don't think you should start to thaw and decorate and leave it in the refrigerator from Sunday to the following Sat. By then the cake won't be fresh. It will be 6 days old by then.

ruralepicure Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruralepicure Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:25am
post #7 of 28

I froze cakes for the first time this last week and it worked out really well. I baked, wrapped in plastic wrap and then froze them. I got them out so they could thaw before frosting them. I was curious how it would work if I frosted them frozen. I may have to give it a shot.

I agree with JoanneK, I wouldn't keep them in the fridge for that long. Personally I wouldn't keep them in for longer than a couple of days at the most.

Way to get ahead of the game and good luck!!

bobwonderbuns Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:27am
post #8 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs4492

Good Post!! thumbs_up.gif

I've recently started freezing cakes (wrap in plastic wrap then I put them in a Ziploc baggie) for convenience mostly.
I decorate them but don't put them into the fridge. Is this wrong then? The cakes are moist and taste great according to friends/family.

No, that's not wrong, that's the way it's supposed to be done. But as stated, you don't want that cake out for more than a day or two at the most. I will give you a little hint though, a fully decorated cake can last two weeks in the frig either wrapped or in a box and still be fresh (yes fresh, even though it's over a week old.) The flowerpot cake I did with butterflies in my pix -- long story but the delivery got messed up and I had to house that bad boy for over a week. I told her the cake was done and ready to be delivered (on the day we agreed) but she didn't want it for another week. Well she got her week old fully decorated cake and she was stunned at how moist and fresh it was!! Go figure! icon_rolleyes.gif

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:29am
post #9 of 28

icon_smile.gif Thanks!!

pookster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pookster Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:40am
post #10 of 28

i always...always freeze my cakes and decorate them frozen..never had a problem or a complaint!!! everyone sais my cakes are sooo moist!!!

Joolz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joolz Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:42am
post #11 of 28

A friend of mine runs a large decorating business out of her home basement in NC and she never starts baking until Monday for Saturday deliveries most of the time she doesn't start till Tuesday and she just recently did 15 separate orders for one weekend. Now mind you she has a commercial oven and fridge and has hired a helper. Good luck on the cakes I wouldn't start working on them till Tuesday myself just because I get nervous about leftovers going bad to fast for my clients, but you could just tell them to freeze whatever leftovers they have after a week if they want them for later.

eriksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eriksmom Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:44am
post #12 of 28

The only issue I've ever had with frosting a frozen cake and then keeping it out is sometimes the moisture builds up and produces little air bubbles, so it looks like the frosting is bulging in one spot. The moisture actually pushes it away from the cake, even if I've crumb coated it.

I don't know why it does it sometimes and not others. But then, I live in florida and the humidity from a cold fridge or freezer to warm and balmy may have something to do with it. Other than that, I always freeze my cakes while warm to lock in moisture. Then I thaw them, frost, decorate, back in the fridge until pick up or delivery. Everyone loves them, never a complaint.

I usually start my wedding cakes (frosting and decorating) about 3 days ahead. Frost one day, decorate the next, and that gives me one day to make sure all is well in case it needs any touch ups. It also gives me a chance to breathe, prepare, and relax my nerves. (I always get nervous).

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:51am
post #13 of 28

If I'm icing in buttercream only, I like to crumb coat them when they're frozen, but then stick them in the fridge overnight and ice them completely the next day. I have had icing applied to frozen cakes "crack" when they reach room temp from expansion.

Confectionary2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Confectionary2 Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:51am
post #14 of 28

As I have said before, I wouldn't even try to frost a cake that had not been frozen! I do it because they are simply easier to handle that way. Also, freezing makes carving a breeze!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S I frost mine while still frozen too....never had a problem.

EricaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EricaT Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:52am
post #15 of 28

I always freeze mine,so i have them done ahead of time. But you do want them to sit out for like 30 minutes before you start icing them, if youre doing buttercream on a cake straight from the freezer the icing will freeze on the cake and crack. ive never had it happen on my own cakes, but in the grocery store bakery i worked at, it happened all of the time

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:55am
post #16 of 28

I can not believe the things I learn on this site icon_surprised.gif !

I admit it, I'm an addict...hook, line and sinker!

Oh well, I can think of worse things...LOL! icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 16 May 2007 , 3:02am
post #17 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxey2000

I can not believe the things I learn on this site icon_surprised.gif !

I admit it, I'm an addict...hook, line and sinker!

Oh well, I can think of worse things...LOL! icon_biggrin.gif

And now you know why I tell all the newbies "Welcome to your new addiction!" icon_lol.gif And there ain't no 12 step program for this one either! icon_wink.gif

nicksmom Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:04pm
post #18 of 28

I have done both,taken cake from freezer and frosted like 3mins after icon_lol.gif AND taken cake from freezer then frosted about1/2 hr later (but that was a hold up)any how i can't recall my frosting ever cracking.I do think I will take the advice on letting the cake sit 1/2hr prior to frosting this time,cause I don't want potential cracks etc...BUT....my BIG dilema is I have 11 cakes to frost and decorate(wedding is june 2nd)IN BETWEEN viviting with my sisiter,niece and a nephew have not met icon_cry.gif cause I haven't seen them for 4yrs(live in alaska)PLUS I have to work all week at my 3 jobs (cake decorating is a side thing,job 4 icon_lol.gif ) icon_cry.gif plus I have two boys myself icon_lol.gificon_cry.gif (this is one of those don't know if you should be laughing or crying kinda things!)anyhow thats how I came up with my plan of starting two cakes a night, on the sunday before the wedding.now I have done wedding cakes befor and I have always started about 3-4 days prior,never more,get great reviews on moistness etc... but this is so big with so little time.final question.....6days in fridge(after freezer)to long OR ok?? please advise me TIA

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:50pm
post #19 of 28

I think 6 days is pushing it. It's unfair to the customer in that they're not getting a fresh cake. It may be fine the day it is served - but what if they have leftovers they would like to eat over the next couple of days.

Personally, I'd feel ok with 3 days tops.

Why don't you base ice the cakes and stick them back in the freezer - and then just pull them out to decorate a day or two beforehand. That would save you time, and you wouldn't run the risk of stale cake.

nicksmom Posted 16 May 2007 , 3:29pm
post #20 of 28

ok MAYBE I'll go with tuesday night, thats 4 days

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 17 May 2007 , 12:56pm
post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandisBaked

I think 6 days is pushing it. It's unfair to the customer in that they're not getting a fresh cake. It may be fine the day it is served - but what if they have leftovers they would like to eat over the next couple of days.

Why don't you base ice the cakes and stick them back in the freezer - and then just pull them out to decorate a day or two beforehand. That would save you time, and you wouldn't run the risk of stale cake.

I agree....6 days is really pushing it.

Confectionary2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Confectionary2 Posted 18 May 2007 , 12:29am
post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by cambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandisBaked

I agree....6 days is really pushing it.

Agreed........I would not eat a cake of my own that had been made/out of the freezer for six days.

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 18 May 2007 , 12:48am
post #23 of 28

I don't know...but I usually can manage to get everything frosted Thursday night and Friday during the day for a SAturday morning setup. We get some pretty elaborate designs. I just personally don't feel comfortable starting too early...Tuesday is even too early for me. If I want to start early, I do so by freezing cake layers, making icings ahead of time and refrigerating....making all gumpaste doo-dads, bows, and flowers, or any other artwork for that matter. Then Friday, I just assemble the cakes, and it goes quickly. Of course, this is my fulltime job. I just agree with brandi....I think that it is unfair to make a customer pay full price for a six day old cake.

jackfrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackfrost Posted 18 May 2007 , 12:52am
post #24 of 28

I take my cake right out of the oven and straight to the freezer, I take it out about 30minutes before I am ready to ice. My customers always rave about how moist my cakes are. I do this with all cakes (scratch or doctored mixes) They are so much easier to frost.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 7:52am
post #25 of 28

Food Safety: Wrapping & Freezing Hot Cakes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-332013-.html

HTH

pikle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pikle Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 9:07am
post #26 of 28

Okay, so I have been TRYING to follow the freezing topics and am still a bit confused. I have yet to do a large cake, but am coming close to it. Do you all wrap in foil, than freeze? Crumbcoat and refreeze??? And do you torte/fill (as long as you aren't using fresh fruits, etc) and ice a few days ahead as well???

Thanks for humoring a newbie icon_smile.gif

thems_my_kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thems_my_kids Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 10:35pm
post #27 of 28

This thread intrigues me! I've never frozen a cake or frosted it frozen. I always bake and decorate the day before it is due for freshness sake. But I'm not as busy as some of you ladies.

CherryBomb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CherryBomb Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 10:42pm
post #28 of 28

I think the difference in opinion probably comes from people not being specific as to how they are icing their cakes. I mostly used fondant so I feel that it better to let my cakes defrost completely first. If I were using buttercream, however, I'd be less worried and popping the cake into the fridge when I was done.

BTW- I think six days is too far out to start on a cake like you described.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%