How Long Been Decorating?????

Decorating By TPDC Updated 6 Jul 2006 , 6:58am by Chef_Stef

TPDC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPDC Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 5:48am
post #1 of 96

Just wanted to see how long everyone have been decorating cakes for?
I have been for ten years, but became serious about it within the last five.
icon_biggrin.gif

95 replies
candy177 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candy177 Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 5:54am
post #2 of 96

About 4 years now. Have become more serious about it in the past year though.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 5:55am
post #3 of 96

Almost 20 years, very few at the beginning, more and more each year. On average, I create about 20 cakes a month now. And I am just now talking to a bride-to-be about doing my first wedding cake.

Wish me luck! icon_biggrin.gif

karennayak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karennayak Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 6:18am
post #4 of 96

I did my first Silver Wedding Cake when I was 15 or 16. (Rich Fruit Cake, Marzipan and Royal Icing). That was very very long time ago. 28 years! I am 43 now.
But I don't do many cakes now, just once in a way.
Karen

Kazoot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kazoot Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 6:20am
post #5 of 96

I have been decorating for about 24 years now. I just did my first doll cake!!!! LOL My next thing to attempt is MMF!!! icon_surprised.gif Wish me luck!!!! LOL
~~Donna

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 6:24am
post #6 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazoot

I have been decorating for about 24 years now. I just did my first doll cake!!!! LOL My next thing to attempt is MMF!!! icon_surprised.gif Wish me luck!!!! LOL
~~Donna

Good Luck, Donna! With CakeCentral on our side, I am sure neither of us will need any luck, because it will be (pardon the pun) a piece of cake!! icon_biggrin.gif

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 6:34am
post #7 of 96

3-4 years here

tschamberlain Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tschamberlain Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 6:35am
post #8 of 96

Off and on for about 10 years. Decorated my first cake in high school (oh what a sad sight that was!), then helped with my own wedding cake....then my little boy's birthdays and most recently my sister-in-law's wedding. Just starting to get serious, but loving it more and more all the time!

fmandds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmandds Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 6:36am
post #9 of 96

I've been making cakes since high school. I've only been decorating them since October 2005. I find it a great stress reliever to come home from work and bake in the kitchen. And I never have to worry about baking or decorating because I have Cake Central.

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 12:02pm
post #10 of 96

About 10 years for me. I started out with birthday cakes for my kids. I would love to do more.

newcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newcakelady Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 12:09pm
post #11 of 96

I have made a few cakes over the years for my kids, but strickly box and storebought icing. Just really started decorating in January, so 5 months.

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 12:09pm
post #12 of 96

I started about 13 yrs ago after my first grandson was born. I wanted to be able to make a nice cake for his first birthday.
I don't do many cakes, mostly family. I have done a couple of cakes for friends.
Just a handful of cakes each year. It's fun when I get the chance to do them or have a reason to.

Sherry0565 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherry0565 Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 12:18pm
post #13 of 96

I have been doing cakes since I was a teen, but I will admit that most were pretty sad. Then I started doing Birthday cakes and such for my children, which were somewhat better, but still not great. I finally broke down and took the the Wilton Courses. Course 3 ended in February 2005, and I've been practicing ever since. I will be making my Daughters wedding cake sometime next year, and I really need more practice with Fondant, So I think I will look into taking an additional Fondant Class.
(Just can't talk her into Buttercream!)

Anyway, I learn something new everyday.....It's an on going learning experience! All in all, I guess I've been seriously decorating since November of Last year.

Sherry

emilykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilykakes Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 12:20pm
post #14 of 96

About ten years ago I took the Wilton classes with my mom. I was a teenager then and not really interested, I just went to make my mom happy. Well last year we decided to take the classes again and something just clicked and I fell in love.

bridgett413 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bridgett413 Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 12:20pm
post #15 of 96

I've played around with it for about 10 years, but I didn't take my first Wilton class until almost 2 years ago (had to do better for my son's first birthday). I don't do a whole lot, if I do 4-5 cakes a month I consider it a good month.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 12:24pm
post #16 of 96

28 years for family and friends. Took First Wilton course at 17, second Wilton course in 1998. Seriously decorating for the last 8 years. My first wedding cake was for my first marriage in 1985--let's just say the top in the freezer lasted longer than the marriage icon_biggrin.gif .

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 12:25pm
post #17 of 96

Easter of last year my DH got me the Wilton classes, so little over a year for me

kicky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kicky Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 12:30pm
post #18 of 96

I have been helping my mum with family cakes since i was little. Since having my little boy 3 years age i have started selling cakes just through his nursery and a few local school and i'm loving it and orders are steady at the moment.

donnadol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnadol Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 12:34pm
post #19 of 96

[QUOTE="Sherry0565"]
Anyway, I learn something new everyday.....It's an on going learning experience!

I agree with Sherry, it is a continous learning process. I fell in love with baking when I was in high school when I took baking as an elective. But it took me 6 years before I made my very first cake. It was not the great tasting - perfect cake but I was happy. From then on I practiced and make cakes for my family and close friends as gifts. I was very glad I found cake central it teaches me a lot! The people also are very nice and is always willing to help. I want to get better too.

janetwhitson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janetwhitson Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 12:39pm
post #20 of 96

I decorated my first cake for my son's first birthday last September. But I started getting serious about it this February...so 5 months or so!!

spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 12:45pm
post #21 of 96

9 months here. And loving it!

tammiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammiemarie Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 12:48pm
post #22 of 96

I first started making cakes when we couldn't find anyone local to make our wedding cake in 2002. I decided rather than pay for one from KC, I'd use the money to buy supplies and take the Wilton classes. Our wedding cake was pretty homemade looking, but tasted good and started me on this obsession! I am still learning and still need to work on my basics, like borders and flowers, but I enjoy it.

yukisaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yukisaru Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 12:49pm
post #23 of 96

I just finnished my first month! (well almost)

janetwhitson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janetwhitson Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 12:51pm
post #24 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by spottydog

9 months here. And loving it!

Wow spottydog...for just 9 months your cakes are beautiful!! Did you take classes?

shelain22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelain22 Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 12:57pm
post #25 of 96

about 2 weeks, so I guess htat makes me the baby, lol.

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 2:06pm
post #26 of 96

Just about 4 years and have been teaching for 2. Loving it!

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 2:36pm
post #27 of 96

I started at age 11 in 1982 in family bakery. I've been a professional since 1986. So ...24 years?? Ack!

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 2:40pm
post #28 of 96

2 years as of this past April... so about 26 months. icon_rolleyes.gif I don't get a lot of practice, but sometimes that's ok. Not sure sometimes whether the mess is worth it all! icon_razz.gif

cakesbgood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbgood Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 2:44pm
post #29 of 96

I took my wilton course I class just about a year ago, and finished course III this past Dec. I don't get a chance very often to experiment with alot of different stuff though, mostly everyone I know just wants a plain ole buttercream sheet cake of some size. But I LOVE decorating!! I really hope I can become as good as some of the others are on this site someday!! icon_biggrin.gif

koolaidstains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koolaidstains Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 2:47pm
post #30 of 96

I started the wilton classes last spring. I haven't taken 3 yet because there were never enough people signed up LOL. I haven't done too many cakes maybe between 10-15. I wanted to get into it because I have 4 kids and my oldest just turned 8 so I've got lots of birthdays to do! I just took wilton 1 and 2 again with a friend and now that school's out I've got the bug to try more. I've got to get all my pics loaded up here too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%