Nerve Racked!

Decorating By spottydog Updated 17 Jun 2006 , 3:15pm by spottydog

spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 6:07pm
post #1 of 27

Ok...so now I have gone back and forth and back and forth on how to design a grad cake for the 16th. I am just so nevous. This will be the 1st time oh about 90 people in one place and oh look at that cake! I NEED it to come out ok. Doea this happen to any of you???? I am freaking out. I want to make some extra money with this hobbie and this could be the oppertunity to do so. UGGG is me icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif I hope I get through this!!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Note: still can't decide! I'll wait till the 15th and hope for the best! icon_surprised.gificon_confused.gif

26 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 6:11pm
post #2 of 27

what designs are you deciding between......maybe you could start a poll and ask around??? See what the general consencus might be here......should give you an idea of what the general public (people at the party) might think!!

DeniseMarlaine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseMarlaine Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 6:14pm
post #3 of 27

Lisa, based on your photos, you have nothing to worry about. Your cakes are creative and very well done. You've obviously given yourself lots of time to plan your cake and work through the process. I'm sure your cake will be GREAT. Be sure to post pix.

spottydog Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 6:16pm
post #4 of 27

Thanks! I have been aiming for black and white. Only due to school color is red. I don't want it to look like a "candy Cane" if ya get what I mean. Then I run into doing chocolate fondant only because the grad cap on top tier will be chocolate.
I don't know ya got me.

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 6:19pm
post #5 of 27

I did a black and white birthday cake and I have done a black,white and red graduation cake. The colors look great!

spottydog Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 6:20pm
post #6 of 27

Thanks Denise. Very kind. I will absolutely post (just hope I don't need to post in the worst cake thread) icon_smile.gif

At least I still am finding the houmor if this flops. icon_smile.gif

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 6:20pm
post #7 of 27

Your work is absolutely GREAT!

You should NOT worry--by looking at your photos, it's going to be wonderful.

--Knox--

DeniseMarlaine Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 6:21pm
post #8 of 27

How are you using red on the cake? If you 'stripe' the white part of the cake with red, you'll definitely create a candy dane image (lol). But if it's a black and white cake with red accents, that could look really dramatic and cool.

spottydog Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 6:24pm
post #9 of 27

I totally agree just need to figure that part out. I have seen some really cool cakes but I wanted to try to NOT duplicate anyone's hard work. I guess I just strive to be a one of a kind girl.

Look where it is getting me. UUGGG icon_smile.gif

spottydog Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 6:28pm
post #10 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxcop1

Your work is absolutely GREAT!

You should NOT worry--by looking at your photos, it's going to be wonderful.

--Knox--

Thanks....very kind

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 6:43pm
post #11 of 27

Lisa, as others have already pointed out, your cakes are great and you will do fine with whatever you decide. But, I do understand your nerves--you'll do great! Look at it this way though, you have way more than 90 people looking at your cakes everyday here--though, granted they aren't potential paying customers... icon_lol.gif

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 7:59pm
post #12 of 27

Something to consider....If you want to make a good impression, do you really want people to have black lips and teeth? or red?

If you limit the dark, bright colors to objects that get removed before erving, you can avoid this potentially embarassing reaction.

It does sort of depend on your audience. Kids love blue tongues.

DeniseMarlaine Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 7:05pm
post #13 of 27

OMGosh! Didn't think of that. I once ate bueberry pancakes with friends at a restauramt and had gray-blue teeth the rest of the morning. How embarrassing!

spottydog Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 7:14pm
post #14 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnnB

Something to consider....If you want to make a good impression, do you really want people to have black lips and teeth? or red?

If you limit the dark, bright colors to objects that get removed before erving, you can avoid this potentially embarassing reaction.

It does sort of depend on your audience. Kids love blue tongues.

yeah I thought of that. I have decided to go with chocolate fondant in place of the BLACK color. Only nitch I think I'm going to run into is that when I used this fondant in the past it looks very "dull". No sheen or anything to it. I hope a small amout of crisco will do it. icon_smile.gif

spottydog Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 1:36pm
post #15 of 27

So I fugured everything out and now I have a new SNAG in my plans. One of the cakes I will be doing this weekend will be covered in fondant. I have been using satin ice brand and have had very good luck with that. I ordered more and screwed up I must have ordered Pettinice by accident! Can anyone tell me if there is much of a difference??? HELP icon_smile.gif

spottydog Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 6:10pm
post #16 of 27

Bumping self icon_smile.gif

spottydog Posted 17 Jun 2006 , 12:45am
post #17 of 27

So here it is...I took the easy way out and did a "safe " design. Any comments welcome. Diploma made of Fondant with edible image on top.
Cap motor baord Solid Chocolate. Accents with fondant and dipped strawberries. Cake covered in chocolate fondant. Bottom & top tier choc. Middle tier white.
LL

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 17 Jun 2006 , 12:55am
post #18 of 27

It turned out wonderful! I always get nervous with every cake I make. I kinda "freak out" until it's finished so I know what you were going through. I bet everyone LOVED it!!

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 17 Jun 2006 , 12:59am
post #19 of 27

GIRL

I LOVE IT--SAFE FOR YOU.....WELL I CAN'T EVEN DO THAT.....I'M SO GLAD YOU GOT IT FINISHED----IT LOOKS GREAT

GO RELAX NOW

spottydog Posted 17 Jun 2006 , 1:01am
post #20 of 27

Thanks ! I had so many problems with this cake. I am so happy it's done....cut...and...eaten! icon_smile.gif

spottydog Posted 17 Jun 2006 , 1:10am
post #21 of 27

OOPS! Forgot to thank everyone with advice and all the ideas. Also Mendhigurl for pointers on the monogrammed strawberries. THANKS

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 17 Jun 2006 , 1:54am
post #22 of 27

That cake is SOOO cool! It is so dramatic. I love it, I am going to save it for inspiration. I have a couple of cousins graduating next year and hope to have the chance to make their cakes!

Great job

Leily

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 17 Jun 2006 , 2:57am
post #23 of 27

You hit the ball out of the park with this cake but then ALL your cakes are fabulous!

spottydog Posted 17 Jun 2006 , 11:27am
post #24 of 27

Awww Thanks icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

veronika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronika Posted 17 Jun 2006 , 2:34pm
post #25 of 27

All of your cakes are nice and this one is so dramatic. It looks great, well done! thumbs_up.gif

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 17 Jun 2006 , 2:41pm
post #26 of 27

Neat cake Neat idea!

Molly2

spottydog Posted 17 Jun 2006 , 3:15pm
post #27 of 27

Thanks....I am so glad it came out to be fitting for a "male" Graduation. I am so used to "pretty" cakes I tried to hard to steer away from flowers ect.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%