Would You Believe This!!!!

Decorating By bush1 Updated 14 Jun 2006 , 1:43am by bush1

bush1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bush1 Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 2:56am
post #1 of 31

I was asked by a step-aunt (mother of the groom) to make the wedding and groom's cake for a wedding this Thursday. Because I love her so much, I agreed to do the cakes, despite the weekday ceremony.. The wedding colors are black, silver and white. The wedding is for about 75 people. I decided to do a 14,10and 6 inch round stacked with a gumpaste bow in black dusted with silver dust as the topper, 2 black roses and one silver rose at the bottom of each tier in a small bunch and black satin ribbon at the bottom of each tier. Well, I get a call today that the bride's family, who has not been involved in any way, decided last night to change the wedding colors to baby blue. Of course, I've spent the last couple of days preparing the flowers and bow during my spare time which is minimal. I commented that apparently the bride and her family had gotten someone else to make the cake because there is no way that I'm going to change everything at this point. My aunt told me that she wanted me to still make the cake just as planned and they could basically go to he__. So get this, part of the reception will be decorated in baby blue and the other half will be decorated in black and silver. By the way, the baby blue decorations are from the bride's grandmother's garage where they have been stored from a wedding some 15 years ago. I am so mad because of course everyone will probably think that I screwed up the cake colors. I wasn't going to attend the ceremony because I know I'll be tired but I think I will have to now just in case someone makes a comment about the cake colors and I have to set the record straight. I guess I just needed to vent because I am truly troubled over the difference in colors and this battle between the families. I guess this marriage won't be lasting very long!!!

30 replies
jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 3:06am
post #2 of 31

hmm...something smells fishy to me! Why aren't the bride and groom making these decisions?

kae133 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kae133 Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 3:13am
post #3 of 31

Ok...so first, can we say baby blue? how tacky!! he he. But seriously, if I were you, I wouldn't worry. You said that half of the decorations were going to be black and silver. These are the colors you are decorating the cake with. Plus, black and silver are classic...they go with anything. Even if the bridal couple were not using any black and silver in any of their decorations, they would still look classy (and not out of place) on the wedding cake. If you weren't originally planning on going to the wedding, I still wouldn't. IMHO--As much as I would want to go to spread the word that I didn't mess up (I can't stand the thought of people thinking I was the one to mess up!), just remember that this is their wedding day. You wouldn't want to cause any hard feelings on their special day. That's just my opinion though. Good luck with everything!! P.S. Congrats on not backing down and redoing all your hard with blue. Black and silver are much more beautiful!

ajoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajoycake Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 3:16am
post #4 of 31

It has really shocked me the nerve and stupidity of people when weddings are concerned. If the bride wants the origional colors then you are totally covered and no need to feel anything but glad you are done with this one. If the bride really wants the baby blue, which I bet she does not, then this may get tricky. I have met many a bridzilla in my few years in the wedding cake game. Yet some of the biggest offenders are the families. I have seen some ugly side of some people. I have known of some folks not doing weddings anymore because of the bull_-----. If it was not for my love of it and have to wonder if it is worth the trouble. Good luck on this and if they want the blue, I would do it only if they paid for both.

tastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastycakes Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 3:20am
post #5 of 31

OK, I don't see why blue is considered tacky, it's just a color.

Yes, I do believe this, it happens often. Some people don't realize the hard work that goes into these cakes. You've handled the situation very well!

Anyway, just go with it and defend your original. If they say something about it who cares? Obviously these people aren't of any sort of class. Really, I'd consider it a non-issue.

sweetoccasions Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetoccasions Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 3:21am
post #6 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by kae133

P.S. Congrats on not backing down and redoing all your hard with blue. Black and silver are much more beautiful!

I agree with kae133. I admire you for not backing down. You are doing a wonderful family favor fitting this cake into you spare time. You shouldn't have to add to it because people (other than the bride and groom) are changing colors. I have a feeling that your step-aunt will set anyone straight if they question the cake colors. Enjoy your thurs. doing what you want to do.

neicey1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neicey1971 Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 3:22am
post #7 of 31

Well at least all you had to do was make the cake. Several months ago, a distant cousin called and asked me to make her wedding cake. I was happy to do it for her, the wedding date was this past Saturday. (I have the cake posted fountain wedding cake.)

Anyhow the week before the wedding, my cousin called crying. Her soon to be mother-in-law backed out of the wedding. This lady was doing all of the flowers and decorating. My cousin did not know what to do.

Since cake decorating isn't my only hobby, I offered to help her in anyway I could. Well to say the least, I did the bride/bridemaids bouquets, boutonairres, table decorations, flowers for the champagne glasses, custom printed cake bags and wedding bubble favors. I also made the headpiece for the flower girl, my youngest daughter.

I stayed up to 2:30 the morning of the wedding finishing the wedding cake and groom's cake (Harley cake). I met my cousin at the reception hall at 5 am to decorate. Got home at 8:30, went to bed for 2 hours, got up dressed myself and 4 kids. Went to the reception hall 1 hour before the wedding to make sure the caterier and band set up in the correct places.

Needless to say, the wedding was beautiful and my cousin truely appreciated all of my hard work. And I would do it all over again for her.

cakesbgood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbgood Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 3:25am
post #8 of 31

I think once everyone see's your beautiful cake, as I'm sure it will be!! Then they will automatically know that it was the baby blue that was the mistake! The best of luck to you, I can't wait to see your finished cake!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

bush1 Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 4:52am
post #9 of 31

Thanks everyone. Believe it or not, when I asked that the bride contact me regarding the cake, she told my aunt that she really didn't care. Her only request was that the topper not be a bride and groom. From what I understand about the bride whom I've never met, she has been pretty unconcerned about everything. The groom and my aunt have done everything, including sending out the invitations. I guess I'm upset because they have upset my aunt. She is the sweetest person in the world and I actually heard her curse for the first time today. She was my kindergarten teacher years ago and happen to marry my good for nothing uncle. Even though they're not together she has always been a part of my life which is why I agreed to do the cakes. Nevertheless, I'm sure that she will be happy and hopefully the bride and groom will be also so I guess her family really doesn't matter. Thanks again, I feel better about this!!!

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 9:34pm
post #10 of 31

Sounds like this bride isn't very excited about getting married. It's sad that your aunt is having to work so hard to try to make this nice for her son. Sounds like she's swimming upstream. I hope it turns out well for all of you.

dandy207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandy207 Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 10:13pm
post #11 of 31

that really does suck, but it seems to me that a nice shade of light blue, maybe wiltons cornflower blue would look really nice against black silver and white, Im talking just small blue accents. This wouldnt be my choice of wedding colors but hey. Maybe tiny blue flowers sticking up behind the roses a half an inch. I dont know, just trying to help , lol.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 11:12am
post #12 of 31

Are there no bridesmaids? I always thought the color scheme of wedding decorations was based on the color of the bridesmaids' dresses. No matter what color the bridesmaids dresses are, there is a good chance that the groomsmen will be in a black tuxedo.

As far as guests making comments; I doubt it. Dandy has a good idea to put a small amount of blue accents in the cake; but it is up to you if you don't think it would look good. Go with your original design; that's what they ordered. It's their problem.

emilykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilykakes Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 11:28am
post #13 of 31

Don't worry about any comments about your cake. It hasn't been stored in a dusty garage for the last 15 years. I have a feeling that once they actually get the decorations up they may change thier minds. The design of the cake sounds beautiful!

tastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastycakes Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 12:42pm
post #14 of 31

Vienneaus, this doen't sound like a black tuxedo kind of shin-dig! They're digging in the garage for old decorations!

Hee-hee, emilykakes, not in the garage for 15 years!!! Love it!

bush1 Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 5:17am
post #15 of 31

Just wanted to update everyone. I just returned from the reception about an hour ago. When I arrived, grandmazilla had already decorated the site with what looked like faded blue flowers. The cake table was set up and someone had placed a few faded blue flowers on the table. I kindly moved the flowers and decorated pursuant to my aunt's directions. By the way, the bridesmaids dresses were black with black shoes and grandma gave each one what looked like a 15 year old faded blue hydrangea type flower with a long stem to carry. When grandmazilla arrived, she didn't even look at the cake nor did she comment about it. There was not a single piece left when I packed up everything to leave. The bride absolutely loved the cake despite her noninterest in everything. It would be interesting if this thing lasts very long. Anyway, here is a pic of the cake. It's also posted in the gallery.
LL

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 5:28am
post #16 of 31

it sucks that u had to go through all of that.. but hey the cake is gorgeous!

what flavor(s) is it?

bush1 Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 5:54am
post #17 of 31

Regular vanilla cake using both vanilla and almond flavor. Thanks. I'm glad it's over!!!

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 6:00am
post #18 of 31

Great job on the cake! On the plus side, at least 15 year old, faded blue can actually sorta go with the colors because everything goes with the black, and that kind of blue plays nicely off the silver! Just looking for that lining icon_lol.gif

But seriously, you did a great job!

Sarah

barbaranoel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbaranoel Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 6:16am
post #19 of 31

The cake is beautiful

Barb

pinkopossum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkopossum Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 4:58pm
post #20 of 31

gorgeous cake - you did a fantastic job!!

skylightsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skylightsky Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 5:54pm
post #21 of 31

The bride probably loved the cake. It might be the one happy memory she carries through life, if others don't add a negative remark on top of her happy memory.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 11:30am
post #22 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by bush1

grandmazilla

I LOVE your nickname for grandma! Can't wait until they have a baby shower! I once attended one where an old lady gave a box full of very old baby clothes ... some boy and some girl. I am thinking of that woman while reading about your customer's grandmother.

The cake is lovely ... edges so crisp! Fondant?

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 12:42pm
post #23 of 31

Beautiful cake, you did a wonderful job and glad that everything worked out ok.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 12:53pm
post #24 of 31

Stunning cake!!!

I did a wedding where the future MIL kept asking the bride, "Has she ever made a wedding cake?" "Does she know how to set it up?" "Has she ever set-up a wedding cake before?" Over and Over and Over!!!

Needless to say, I stayed for the reception (It was for a friend's daughter) and MIL mouth almost hit the floor. She came up to me and said "That cake is absolutely perfect." My reply was "Thank you, I take cake decorating very seriously. I'm not a fly-by-night decorator." icon_biggrin.gif LOL!!! Even though I do most of my decorating by night!!! icon_biggrin.gif

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 1:07pm
post #25 of 31

Great job on the cake and in your handling of the situation.

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 3:57pm
post #26 of 31

That cake is incredibly classy.

It will be interesting to see how long the wedding lasts! LOL When my brother got married, they went to Wal-Mart and picked up a sheet cake for their barbecue potluck reception! LOL Oh my gosh! I saw another couple one day at Wal-Mart picking up a full sheet cake that they were saying was their wedding cake. Can you imagine? Sheesh. P.S. My brother's marriage lasted less than a year.......

I had a bride tell me once she didn't care what the cake looked like since "people were just going to eat it". And she did not want to pay the discounted $200 price I offerred. She was only getting this price because her fiance had helped my ex-husband out a lot. I finally told her she probably needed to go to Wal-Mart, and I have no idea if that wedding ever really happened.

Yeesh, some people!

Cakers84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakers84 Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 8:51pm
post #27 of 31

Well over twenty years ago I was a bride who didn't need to have a say or control over the arrangments for my wedding/reception. My husband and a group of our friends planned everything. My sister; a decorator for over twenty-five years now, designed and made my 3 tier wedding cake. Everything was perfect ! To date my husband and I still feel happiness and joy when we relive our wedding day. You too have given the gift of many happy memories dispite others, Bravo for you! Your design and craftmanship are Fantastic. thumbs_up.gif GloriaI, Mom to 7/G-ma to 5

bush1 Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 1:16am
post #28 of 31

Thank you all for the wonderful comments. By the way, the cake is iced in buttercream. Didn't want to take a chance with fondant since grandmazilla has probably never heard of it. God I wish you all could have seen her fixing her faded baby blue unknown flowers. I'm sure that the marriage won't last very long but at least when they look back now, the cake will be right there front and center in all their photos!!!! At least I know that my aunt and the bride were happy so I guess that is what matters the most. It's amazing how sometimes one simple person can take the joy out of everything.

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 1:23am
post #29 of 31

Wow, what a story. But your cake is just beautiful! I cannot believe that it is iced in buttercream, it is soo smooth and perfect! You did a wonderful job.

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 1:32am
post #30 of 31

Baby blue flowers....yeah...

Your cake was really beautiful!

I'm sure you must've felt really wierded out when all the directions/colors started CHANGING! OMG...

But, we can only do what we're asked, I reckon! You obviously handled this situation beautifully, and it's reflected in your wonderful work.

Good Job!
--Knox--

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%