Help, Customer Wants Me To Ship A Cake To Jamaica

Decorating By mamasota Updated 8 May 2007 , 7:16pm by Horselady

mamasota Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamasota Posted 8 May 2007 , 11:47am
post #1 of 6

I have a customer that wants me to make a naughty cake for her and ship it to Jamaica, it's for her sister's birthday. I have no Idea how to go about doing this. The cake she wants is a Tres Leches Cake, I was thinking of freezing it and maybe use fondant as the Icing, but if I use buttercream or some other icing, how can I package the cake so that it will not be damage by the time it arrives in Jamaica? I know that if we send it, we're going to send it overnight.

Can Any one Please HELP?

5 replies
MamaBerry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaBerry Posted 8 May 2007 , 5:41pm
post #2 of 6

Cakes don't have long lives when shipped. I was thinking about shipping cupcakes, cakes adn such and then realized why Duff Goldman of Ace of Cakes, Sylvia Weinstock, Ron Ben-Israel, Toba Garett, Colette Peters and other cake decorators don't ship cakes.

Putting THIS END UP on boxes doesn't mean squat to FED EX?UPS/DHL. icon_cry.gif I know because I've had small funerals for several dishes that were sent to me by family.

I wish I could tell you something different but I'd rather not lie. thumbsdown.gif

Please ignore this post if you mean Jamaica,NY.

If so, then drive it to the destination.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 8 May 2007 , 7:00pm
post #3 of 6

I doubt the cake would stay frozen long enough, and the shipping costs would be enormous.

suggest naughty cookies?? or candies?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 8 May 2007 , 7:09pm
post #4 of 6

My experience sending things to Jamaica is the recipient never receives them, at least with the United States Postal Service. The items just seam to to disapear. Not sure how it would be with Fed Ex or anyone else.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 8 May 2007 , 7:13pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBerry

Cakes don't have long lives when shipped. I was thinking about shipping cupcakes, cakes adn such and then realized why Duff Goldman of Ace of Cakes, Sylvia Weinstock, Ron Ben-Israel, Toba Garett, and other cake decorators don't ship cakes.

Putting THIS END UP on boxes doesn't mean squat to FED EX?UPS/DHL. icon_cry.gif I know because I've had small funerals for several dishes that were sent to me by family.

I wish I could tell you something different but I'd rather not lie. thumbsdown.gif

Please ignore this post if you mean Jamaica,NY.

If so, then drive it to the destination.

Many of those decorators you quoted do ship cakes - I've heard Colette Peters and Sylvia Weinstock both talk about it in interviews and have seen photos of cakes boxed up in crates. But both said they use a specialized service I think, and it costs as much as the cake itself (which can be in the thousands).

Horselady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Horselady Posted 8 May 2007 , 7:16pm
post #6 of 6

Hello!

Okay, I've never shipped a cake, but I've shipped a lot of semen icon_wink.gif, same day and over-night...So, what I would do is:

Depending on size of cake, get one of those styrofom coolers (like for fish) and fill the bottom with freezer packs, then put a layer of card board down, then your cake. Cover the cake and board with plastic wrap, then put in packing peanuts or bubbles or whatever you choose. Fill it pretty tight so there is no shifting, and then put the lid on, tape that lid TIGHT. then put it in a box that it fits VERY SNUGGLY into.

I would use a very dense cake that can take the pressure of the peanuts and fondant as it holds much better than BC IMHO.

Also, make sure your client knows it might get damaged, and it won't be your fault!

Should be fine though.. I ship a lot of "odd" stuff, including horse semen, and never have a problem.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%