Has Anyone Used Plant Stands For Cakes?

Decorating By birdgirl Updated 6 May 2007 , 7:07pm by bethola

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 6 May 2007 , 12:41pm
post #1 of 14

I went shopping yesterday and kept looking at those metal plant stands and thought they would work to hold cakes. Has anyone tried them? They are so inexpensive and some of them are pretty--I found a couple of tiered ones that were very nice.

13 replies
2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 6 May 2007 , 12:48pm
post #2 of 14

I have seen people use everything from vases to plant stands to baskets turned up side down. You are only limited by your imagination here!

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 6 May 2007 , 12:49pm
post #3 of 14

YES!! They work GREAT .... and you are right about the price !

Jessmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessmar Posted 6 May 2007 , 12:55pm
post #4 of 14

I haven't tried them, but what a great idea! I have been looking for nice (and affordable) cake stands, so I am also curious to know if plant stands would work - there are some very pretty ones! So hopefully my post will give you a bump to someone who has tried them!

Jessmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessmar Posted 6 May 2007 , 12:56pm
post #5 of 14

Oh cool! I guess I posted at the same time as other people - I'm so excited that they would work!!!

grama_j Posted 6 May 2007 , 1:00pm
post #6 of 14

I have a couple metal ones that I just spray paint to match what ever cake I'm doing, and use over and over.... Hit the Dollar stores, and Good Will, etc.... I got one for a DOLLAR !

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 6 May 2007 , 1:12pm
post #7 of 14

It's funny, yesterday I actually saw a set of three metal dessert plates and thought to myself how much they resembled a plant stand I have at home. Silly me, I didn't put two and two together, but that is just such a fabulous idea. And in my price range, too!

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 6 May 2007 , 1:20pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by grama_j

I have a couple metal ones that I just spray paint to match what ever cake I'm doing, and use over and over.... Hit the Dollar stores, and Good Will, etc.... I got one for a DOLLAR !

Quote:
Quote:

ME TOO! Except I have a best friend that is a florist and I don't have to buy them OR spray paint them! She does it for me! WHAT A FRIEND, huh? They work GREAT!

I used one for a "Garden Themed" wedding that was shaped like a tricycle and put cheesecakes on it. It was a BIG hit with the Bride and Groom.

Beth in KY

grama_j Posted 6 May 2007 , 1:25pm
post #9 of 14

" I used one for a "Garden Themed" wedding that was shaped like a tricycle and put cheesecakes on it. It was a BIG hit with the Bride and Groom. "
Oh, I have had my eye on one of those for a long time, but the price wasn't right..... I'll find one yet !! uhhh.... can I borrow your friend ? icon_wink.gif

bethola Posted 6 May 2007 , 1:33pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by grama_j

" I used one for a "Garden Themed" wedding that was shaped like a tricycle and put cheesecakes on it. It was a BIG hit with the Bride and Groom. "
Oh, I have had my eye on one of those for a long time, but the price wasn't right..... I'll find one yet !! uhhh.... can I borrow your friend ? icon_wink.gif

SURE! I mean, what are "cake buddies" for? LOL

Beth in KY

Leahw207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leahw207 Posted 6 May 2007 , 2:35pm
post #11 of 14

I have tried this and they work awesome! Makes for a beautiful display!

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 6 May 2007 , 3:13pm
post #12 of 14

Wow why haven't I thought of this? Great idea, thanks for sharing icon_smile.gif

MelissaRHK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaRHK Posted 6 May 2007 , 3:19pm
post #13 of 14

I use them as well.. but my favorite is to use the Glass Blocks -- they make for a great presentation -- a little ribbon around the middle to match -- they are great for table cakes.

melissa

bethola Posted 6 May 2007 , 7:07pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaRHK

I use them as well.. but my favorite is to use the Glass Blocks -- they make for a great presentation -- a little ribbon around the middle to match -- they are great for table cakes.

melissa

Me too! Put some white lights in them and they become WEDDING CAKE STANDS!!

Beth in KY

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%