What Is The Trick To...

Decorating By beemarie Updated 6 May 2007 , 5:02pm by pokeyanne

beemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beemarie Posted 6 May 2007 , 4:26am
post #1 of 13

keeping your cake from sliding all around your turntable as you frost it? I ended up putting a wet cloth underneath my cake tonight to keep it from sliding around, but it kind of is in the way. What is the trick you all use? I tried a search to see if this has been brought up before but couldn't find anything, so sorry if this is an old topic. Thank you!

12 replies
TPDC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPDC Posted 6 May 2007 , 4:28am
post #2 of 13

I put a small piece of that rubbermat stuff under the cake board.

gabbenmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabbenmom Posted 6 May 2007 , 4:33am
post #3 of 13

You can also put a thin layer of icing on the turntable for the cakeboard to stick to. Then if you need to, stick a small piece of foil, waxed paper, etc on the bottom when you are done so it isn't sticky (if that will be a problem).

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 May 2007 , 4:40am
post #4 of 13

the non-skid matting is the best (you can get it at the dollar store). But lacking that, you can also use 2-sided tape under your cardboard.

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 6 May 2007 , 4:45am
post #5 of 13

Yup another idea is a bit of chocolate it will come off easier than the BC and you can afix your cake board to your box the same way when done, helps in transport.
Until you get yourself a roll of the rubber non-skid matting.

Good Luck

dandelion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion Posted 6 May 2007 , 4:46am
post #6 of 13

a lot of the time i decorate directly on my cake carrier. to get the carrier to stick to the turntable (i have a cheap plastic wilton one) i put masking tape on the bottom of the carrier and tape it to my turntable before putting the cake on.

beemarie Posted 6 May 2007 , 4:59am
post #7 of 13

Wow, great suggestions! I will be experimenting. Thank you ALL!

pokeyanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pokeyanne Posted 6 May 2007 , 5:12am
post #8 of 13

I use the non-skid rubber matting as well.

A little of topic but I see your from Whidbey Island beemarie. I grew up in Oak Harbor and my family still lives there. I go up there a few times a month. I'm actually going up there next weekend to deliver my very first wedding cake!! icon_cry.gif I'm really excited and nervous at the same time.

MsRhonda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsRhonda Posted 6 May 2007 , 5:56am
post #9 of 13

Rubber non-skid mat is what I use also!

beemarie Posted 6 May 2007 , 5:58am
post #10 of 13

Hi pokeyanne, We are just outside of the city limits of Oak Harbor, just across Deception Pass bridge. We love it here, so beautiful. I hope your wedding cake goes well! Are you coming from Seattle?

beemarie Posted 6 May 2007 , 6:01am
post #11 of 13

Wow, I see you are coming from Puyallup. That is quite a drive to deliver a wedding cake! I am sure you will do more than fine icon_smile.gif .
Thanks to everybody for the great suggestions. I will get the non-skid mat this week .

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 6 May 2007 , 2:05pm
post #12 of 13

Hey! More Washantonians!
Rubber skid-mat gets my vote! We have tons of it in our RV thumbs_up.gif

pokeyanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pokeyanne Posted 6 May 2007 , 5:02pm
post #13 of 13

beemarie, my mom has a catering business that is why I'm driving so far to deliver a cake. So far I haven't had to "work" at drumming up business for myself. She has got most of my cake orders for me. icon_biggrin.gif This wedding cake is for one of the girls who caters with us. She is, you could say, my guinea pig. Not that it would be ok to mess up her wedding cake. But, beings it's my first she said she wanted me to do it. And I know she would be more than understanding if it doesn't go as well as the picture in my head. icon_smile.gif I'll post a picture after I get it done.

Sorry about hijacking your thread. icon_redface.gif Enough about me now back to the original topic at hand. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%