Duncan Hines Question Here????

Baking By cakegal Updated 21 May 2005 , 7:06pm by cakegal

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 11 May 2005 , 2:17pm
post #1 of 23

OK... I baked the DH yellow cake added the cake extender etc.....It didn't seem to raise like the cheaper cake mix I experimented with first...ugh...in fact!!!!! it kind of sunk in the middle....
What caused this.... I've always used DH mixes...now I'm wondering what caused this...
TIA
cakegal

22 replies
CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 11 May 2005 , 2:32pm
post #2 of 23

You know, I'm beginning to think it's the yellow mix..... I don't have any problems with the white or chocolate or even the strawberry but I've made the yellow a few times and that has happened.....now I did doctor one up using sour cream....I think I got the recipe off this site and it turned out okay, but still not as well as the other flavors.....it's weird! I've always made my cakes from scratch but when I started taking the decorating classes I decided the box mixes would be okay for that purpose, and now I'm hearing how you can doctor all the box mixes and they taste like scratch...think I'm going to explore that avenue some more.....just got the Cake Mix Doctor, can't wait to start trying the recipes in here.

awela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awela Posted 11 May 2005 , 2:53pm
post #3 of 23

Low and sudden changes in the oven temperature cause the cakes to sink in the center. The oven's door should not be open during the first 30 minutes of baking. I personally set my timer to 45 minutes to avoid that problem.

Sometimes the excess of liquids cause the sinking and/or the consistency of the middle of the cakes. HTH icon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Mable_21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mable_21 Posted 11 May 2005 , 3:00pm
post #4 of 23

This weekend I was reading a book by one of the major cake mix makers (I can't rember which one) but it said not to add a packet of pudding to their mixes because it will make them fall.. I'm not sure if this helps (or if it's true!)

cakegal Posted 11 May 2005 , 3:06pm
post #5 of 23

I didn't add pudding to the cake mix....
I used buttermilk for the liquid...and added sour creme...and the rest of the things the cake extender said to add....
I never open the oven door til the first cake time is up....35 min or so....
this cake took 50 mins to bake....
I'm going to try another flavor to see what happens there...
And DH yellow is a favorite of my family's too.... icon_sad.gif
Thanks for the feedback....
The Cake Mix Doctor book is out of stock at my wal mart store...have to wait til they get them in again before I get mine...
Happy baking..
cakegal

damamisonga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
damamisonga Posted 11 May 2005 , 3:13pm
post #6 of 23

The cake bible says that pudding should NOT be added to cake mixes with the pudding already added; the final result is a very dense cake. I used to add pudding to my cakes mixes but not anymore as I always buy the ones with the pudding included. However, when using regular cakes mixes it does'nt hurt to use 1/2 pack of pudding. icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 11 May 2005 , 4:15pm
post #7 of 23

I trie dthe cake mix extender with a white cake and it tasted great... but it didn't rise very well at all! Is it because of the sour cream?? It tastes soo good, but I'd have to do three layers for it to be tall enough for a wedidng cake. Any insight??

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 11 May 2005 , 4:24pm
post #8 of 23

I'm thinking it's the extender. I've added both pudding and sour cream to a pudding already added cake mix and it ends up being a higher cake than just cake mix alone...if only because of the added volume. I do this whenever I want a dense cake I can sculpt.

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 11 May 2005 , 4:29pm
post #9 of 23

I use the extender a lot and dont have this problem. Can I ask how old your baking powder is. That does have a shelf life and can go bad which can effect how your cake will rise if you are adding it.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 11 May 2005 , 4:35pm
post #10 of 23

cakeconfections,
I used the other extender recipe... not yours with baking powder. I'm thinking of trying yours next. I'm driving my family crazy with all of the white cake. Today will be cake #4. What do you add to your white cake when you make it??

cakegal Posted 14 May 2005 , 8:15pm
post #11 of 23

The white box cake mix i used , had pudding in the mix already, I didn't add pudding to it...I used the cake extender.....this cake turned out beautiful.....and the taste was EXCELLENT...
It was the DH yellow box cake, using the extender....didn't add pudding...this cake didn't raise like the white cake did....
I'm going to try the yellow cakemix in the brand that the white cake was made from...I'll let you know what happens with this one...
Thanks everyone for the info...
cakegal

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 14 May 2005 , 8:34pm
post #12 of 23

see, I find that white never rises like the other flavors... yellow is never a problem with me...but then I dont doctor up the cake mixes much when I do they come out really heavy, and a little dryer then if I leave it alone..

Mjmil7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mjmil7 Posted 14 May 2005 , 8:53pm
post #13 of 23

Have any of you ever tried adding meringue powder to your cakes? I was reading in one of the Wilton class books where it gives tips that it will make your boxed cakes rise higher. This makes alot of sense as it is made from egg whites. I haven't tried using it as I haven't had any problems with my cakes rising, but then again I've yet to try a white cake.

Mjmil7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mjmil7 Posted 14 May 2005 , 8:54pm
post #14 of 23

Have any of you ever tried adding meringue powder to your cakes? I was reading in one of the Wilton class books where it gives tips that it will make your boxed cakes rise higher. This makes alot of sense as it is made from egg whites. I haven't tried using it as I haven't had any problems with my cakes rising, but then again I've yet to try a white cake.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 14 May 2005 , 10:24pm
post #15 of 23

I don't add meringue to my cake mixes, but I do add an envelope of Dream Whip to each one. Janice

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 16 May 2005 , 4:21am
post #16 of 23

I use the Yellow SourCream Cake recipe from the Dr's Book. That is my signature cake! Everyone that's tasted it orders it every time! It always rising high & tastes wonderful!! Nice & thick, nice & moist & not crumbly. I think your problem cakegal might be that you are using buttermilk & sourcream. I only use yellow DH, 1/4 c milk, 1 c sourcream, 1/4 c sugar, 1/3 c oil, 1 t. vanilla, 4 large eggs. My cakes turn out perfect everytime! I bake either on 350* or 325* depending on the size of the cake.

cakegal Posted 16 May 2005 , 2:04pm
post #17 of 23

I think your problem cakegal might be that you are using buttermilk & sourcream. I only use yellow DH, 1/4 c milk, 1 c sourcream, 1/4 c sugar, 1/3 c oil, 1 t. vanilla, 4 large eggs. My cakes turn out perfect everytime! I bake either on 350* or 325* depending on the size of the cake.

WHITE ALMOND SOUR CREAM CAKE
1 BOXES WHITE CAKE MIX (I PREFER BETTY CROCKER)
1 CUPS FLOUR
1CUPS SUGAR
3/4 tsp SALT
1 1/3CUPS WATER ( I used buttermilk instead of water)
1/4 CUP VEGETABLE OIL
1 tsp REAL CLEAR VANILLA
1tsp ALMOND EXTRACT
1 CUPS (16 oz) SOURCREAM
4 LARGE EGG WHITES
So I should have used the water instead of buttermilk???
I followed this same recipe using the white box cake mix and that cake turned out beautifully.....
I will give it another go using DH...I always use DH and I would like to stick to using it....
tcturtleshell I will give your recipe a try....Do you use a cake extender with your DH?????
thanks,
cakegal

TheCakeShak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeShak Posted 16 May 2005 , 5:49pm
post #18 of 23

icon_cool.gif Hey there Ms. Veejay...question...I bought some boxes of the Dream WHip to use...My question is, when you added the dream whip to the cake mix, did you just "add" it and simply followed the cake mix ingredients or did you use the dream whip ingredients on the whip box to the cake mix.

I read the directions for the dream whip and got myself confused. I want to try it for the wedding cake I have to do for the June 4th.

Let me know okie dokie....... icon_wink.gif

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 17 May 2005 , 4:53pm
post #19 of 23

Hi Crashdummy, sorry I didn't see this sooner.

I just add the envelope of dream whip as powder along with my other ingredients.

1 box cake mix
1/3 cup veg. oil
1 env. dream whip
4 eggs
1 cup liquid (milk, water, coffee creamer...your choice)

Good luck with your June 4th cake (When I was married that was my anniversary date!) Janice

TheCakeShak Posted 17 May 2005 , 5:12pm
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Quote:

"Let the Sweets Begin!"

icon_wink.gif Ok, thanks much...I will let you know how it turns out..I'm thinking of doing a dummy cake with the dream whip to see how it tastes...hhmmmm

Thanks again.....

Crystalhrt25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crystalhrt25 Posted 20 May 2005 , 9:38pm
post #21 of 23

I did use pudding in my cake mix that already has pudding in it and guess what! it sank in the middle jjijiji turned out to be a very stiff pound cake in the middle and fluffy on the outside but then again I did add half of the pudding box! icon_lol.gif

TheCakeShak Posted 21 May 2005 , 1:22am
post #22 of 23

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif Hi Veejay...I just wanted to let you know I tried the Dream Whip in the Duncan Hines Yellow cake mix and WOW did it turn out not only great but it taste so yummy!!!

So moist just like a bakery cake to me.....

So thank you for the tip!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

cakegal Posted 21 May 2005 , 7:06pm
post #23 of 23
Quote:
Quote:

just add the envelope of dream whip as powder along with my other ingredients.

1 box cake mix
1/3 cup veg. oil
1 env. dream whip
4 eggs
1 cup liquid (milk, water, coffee creamer...

veejaytx ?????
Can you use the cake extender with this recipe????
I have a cake to bake this week and I would love to try your recipe..
TIA
cakegal

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%