Crying!!!!! Need Help Fast !!!!! Two Year Old Got Into Cake!

Decorating By mommacakes Updated 8 May 2007 , 11:17pm by CakesbyMonica

mommacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommacakes Posted 5 May 2007 , 1:10pm
post #1 of 51

My two year old son got up this morning at 7am and got into my wedding cake. The second one I made. You can see the finish product in my actual photos to see what it is suppose to look like. I could not bear myself to look at the cake it took me two days to work on a cake like this even though it is small. It is that buttercream dream recipe. I am trying to let the buttercream soften up to figure out to fix it because it has been in the fridge. The fridge had duct tape on it thinking he could not get in it. HOwever, he took a spoon this morning( we did not hear him get out of bed!) and well you can see what he did in the pictures. I am not sure how to smooth this with pearls all over it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE I am begging and crying for help. I have been crying all morning because I was so proud of this cake and now it seems ruined! I want it to be smooth like before! If you have also any advice as to how to keep a two year old out of the only fridge I have that would be great!

I could not for the life of me attach the picture so here is the url to it...........

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h198/mcorum/P2190974.jpg

Tell me what I can do to fix this with pearls on the cake......

50 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 5 May 2007 , 1:14pm
post #2 of 51

first of all I am SOOOOOOOOO sorry this happened......everytime I make a cake for someone I dream about my kids getting into it......it just hasn't actually happened yet!!!! Put bells on your kids door.......sounds rediculous, but it'll alert you when he gets out of his room!! I have a 5 yr. old that still gets up early a.m. and destroys the house!! He thinks he is playing of course lol Have you tried that cake spackling stuff???? I guess you mix cake scraps and frosting together and fill in holes or unevenness in cakes and then you can just frost right over top and never know, and because it's made up of cake and icing when the cake is cut it's not noticeable either. Again I'm so sorry this happened to you that cake is gorgeous and sorry I coulnd't be of more assistance to you!

bambuf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bambuf Posted 5 May 2007 , 1:20pm
post #3 of 51

This may not be much help, but could you cover that spot with a white chocolate plaque with a mongram on it or something like that? Hope you find your solution soon.

mommacakes Posted 5 May 2007 , 1:21pm
post #4 of 51

Would it be too tacky to put a big ol rose on the bottom and top tiers and just make that the back of my cake????????????????

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 5 May 2007 , 1:22pm
post #5 of 51

Honestly, it looks like he took more than one bite of the cake with that spoon, unless he took one HUGE bite. If he took more than one bite (and there's no way to tell since you weren't there), that means he put the spoon in his mouth, then back into the cake. I'm not sure I would deliver a cake that someone had put a dirty spoon in. Is there any way that you could cut out a bigger piece around where he ate, spackle it back in, and redecorate that spot? I would take out the area for sure justy in case he did take more than one bite. Good luck!

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 5 May 2007 , 1:22pm
post #6 of 51

Go with the spakling, smooth some buttercream over it and pipe your dots on the uneven bits. I'm sure it will turn out fine - you need to calm down before you do it. I have the same problem with my dog - he gets about one every six months despite my thinking I have completely proofed the kitchen.

ShayShay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShayShay Posted 5 May 2007 , 1:23pm
post #7 of 51

sorry i can't help you with fixing the cake but the idea of cake spakle sounds like it would work. the best piece of advice i learned from someone on here is that every cake has a back side so make the repair the best you can and make that side the back side. good luck!

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 5 May 2007 , 1:23pm
post #8 of 51

Frost the bottom cake again.

showersfamily4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
showersfamily4 Posted 5 May 2007 , 1:24pm
post #9 of 51

Oh, I feel for you. I have a 8 month old and 3 1/2 year old. I cannot even begin to imagine what I would do if one of them messed up a cake that someone was paying for. I am so new at this that I don't have any great suggestions for the cake repair. As to the fridge, I have heard that there are locks that can be placed on a fridge. Maybe if you had something like that to use only when you had a cake in the fridge, it would give you peace of mind. Hope all goes well for you today. --Kari

mommacakes Posted 5 May 2007 , 1:24pm
post #10 of 51

Yeah I am already on the idea of taking out more because you just never know. He has a cold..... so that sucked even more......

mommacakes Posted 5 May 2007 , 1:27pm
post #11 of 51

I would frost the whole thing again but that means taking off ALL the edible pearls that took me 2 and 1/2 hours to put on..... I don't have that kind of time....... icon_cry.gif

woodyfam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodyfam Posted 5 May 2007 , 1:27pm
post #12 of 51

I think you can fix this. Anyone who can do such pretty work can handle this task. Use cake scraps and icing (make a small cupcake if necessary) and fill in the gaps. If you have time I recommend the mini cupcake top, cut to size, to fill in as it will give you a smooth top. Refrigerate it to make the it hard and reice. If you run your spatula under HOT water and dry it you will get that smooth finish with your icing.

As far as your son goes I have a great solution. At Home Depot they sell this little door alarm, less than $10. It is VERY loud when it goes off and will wake you in a second. You can turn it on only when you need it with a button on the side. It attaches with tape that comes with it and is super sticky on both sides. You will have 2 sides. You attach them both, one to the door and one to the fridge itself. When they are separated you will hear the alarm. Believe me you will hear it! These are often used for doors around swimming pools.

Good luck and it is a beautiful cake!

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 5 May 2007 , 1:33pm
post #13 of 51

try the spackling it really works, had to use last weekend on a cake and no even noticed. Then if you can, when you set cake up make sure it's in back. Most people only look at the front. Besides the rest of your cake looks REALLY pretty and the strawberries just make it look yummy!!! Good luck

oh yeah, if you don't have any cake scraps left try a chocolate cup cake w/o the frosting or something similar.

Maureen1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maureen1971 Posted 5 May 2007 , 1:37pm
post #14 of 51

When does the cake have to be delivered? Is there enough time to make a new bottom tier? Won't take two days as it's just the one...

I have to agree with Jen1977 - I would worry about the double dipping factor. If there's enough time to get another one on the go, I'd fire up the oven and get the mixer going!

lol - bells on the door is a good idea! Better than mine which was to use the duct tape to attatch the boy to the bed! Actually, they have those door knob covers that spin unless they're squeezed while turning the knob, but they scare me. What if there's a fire and he needs to get out of his room? (Not to mention kids can be clever and have the patience to figure out how these things work)!

Sorry you're having a bad day. One day you will laugh about this. I know this doesn't help, but it's a day you'll remember forever!

mommacakes Posted 5 May 2007 , 1:45pm
post #15 of 51

Cake gets delievered at 11 it is now 8:39. I am doing the spackling idea and because I seriously do not have time to smooth the whole bottom Take the pearls off and then put the pearls back on....I have calmed down. If I can't get it as smooth I will either do the monogram or just put a rose on the back of it and tell em it to let em know it is the back.

As far as the who this is for this is for a friend and she knows I have a two year old. So when I explain she will laugh. I did this on the cheap side for her becauase she is pregnant and had a shotgun wedding. I just dug out the cake where he got into it and will put more cake on it. and smooth out as best as I can.

Thank you ladies for helping me I really needed any advice I could take. I love all the ideas about the doors and alarms and locks!!!!!!!! Going to LOWES this afternoon after delivering this cake! I am so mad at that lil boy and it is hard for me to face him. Only my second wedding cake and I told my hubby from now on I am doing fondant covered cakes. He got into my pig one too which is posted and I had to put a rope design around it at last minute!!!!!

Next year I have a 500 dollar cake and you can bet I will have every alarm and lock I can find to keep him out of it!!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_razz.gif

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 5 May 2007 , 2:03pm
post #16 of 51

Is this cake for an actual wedding? If so, is there any chance that you are going to be cutting this cake yourself? If that is the case I'd cut out the area around what was disturbed, fill it in with spackle and re-ice either that whole tier or that area (if you can get it smoothe). Then when serving time comes I would discreetly cut that part out and throw it away.

If you weren't going to be serving it, could you maybe offer to do so and then do as I suggested above? If there's no chance of serving the cake yourself I'd take the cake apart, rebake and ice the bottom tier. I would not deliver a damaged cake unless it was for a close friend or family member who would understand and where I would be there to make sure that part was not served.

I always box my cakes and tape the box/boxes shut and then place them on a bed in my guest room. Then I shut and latch the door so the cat can't get in. I can also set them on top of my washer and dryer for safety, but I prefer the locked bedroom, for my own peace of mind.

I'm sorry this happened to you! I don't know your little one so I have no suggestions on policing him.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 5 May 2007 , 2:17pm
post #17 of 51

Can you cut out that part, fill it again, and then cascade some more roses down that side ? They are soooo pretty, a few more couldn't hurt !

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 5 May 2007 , 3:04pm
post #18 of 51

Settle down mommy! He's only two years old. Could you possibly get a gate to put in his bedroom doorway to keep him in his room until you're up? That's what I did with my little ones and my dd did with hers. We could hear them up playing in the morning but they were not loose in the house until we were ready for them to be. The other option would be to put the finished cakes somewhere other than the frig, where the little guy can get at them. Good luck!

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 5 May 2007 , 5:02pm
post #19 of 51

I actually still use a wooden gate that has a very tough latch for little fingers to open, and my little one is 4=) But after hearing so many stories from my sister and her kids(now 7). I take every precaution I can lol=) No microwaving popcorn at 5 am, cutting hair, or cooking nuggets in the stove while I am sleeping lol=) One thing, my daughter figured out those door knob covers(plastic ones) in no time=( So this old hand made gate has worked the best in our house to keep her wandering mind and hands outta trouble. GL with you cake, I know you are upset right now, but at 2, they really do not know any better=( Jen

mommacakes Posted 5 May 2007 , 8:16pm
post #20 of 51

I am calmed NOW icon_redface.gif ..... I put a monogram plaque in it's place. The most decent thing I could do. I was very upset with my lil man but who wouldn't be? Of course all he has to do is smile and say hi mama and my heart melts for him right away. Just sucks the last three cakes I made in buttercream he went after em. I just wish I had another fridge in my garage!!!!!! Maybe I can make that a christmas wish icon_smile.gif

Thanks ladies for calming me down. I was real distraught this morning and in tears..... Thank you for being there in the moment that I needed it.

Love to all,

Mandy

woodyfam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodyfam Posted 5 May 2007 , 9:17pm
post #21 of 51

Now that you have this all fixed, I am laughing. I felt really bad for you earlier! Anyway, it really is your fault. That boy must take after you with his love of buttercream and all! I suggest you make a small cake and add something very yucky tasting to the icing, maybe vinegar. Tabasco might also be tempting, but a little too cruel. Set it out for him to find and sneak a taste of. That will set him straight!

JavaJunkieChrissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JavaJunkieChrissy Posted 5 May 2007 , 9:49pm
post #22 of 51

I'm glad that you could fix it!

Years from now I promise that you will look back on this moment and smile. I know right now you don't think you will but...as the mom of five boys I have "moments" that I look back on now and have to laught. At the time I thought that I would kill them.......One time I just got done painting a bedroom a week before I gave birth to a 11 lb. baby icon_surprised.gif I was sitting nursing DS#4 when I heard the rest of the gang laughing the sort of laugh that lets you know that they are up to no good.....anyway, I walk back there and they took a dozen eggs and were throwing them into a box fan...spraying egg all over the newely painted walls and cleaned carpet......I was furious!! Now, I look back and have to laugh!

icon_biggrin.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 5 May 2007 , 10:01pm
post #23 of 51

I saw the picture and laughed because that is something my son would do.. I have a picture of him eating cake with a fork after I told him not to (it wasn't for an order or anything, but he still snuck it) he had chocolate frosting ALL over his face.. no denying it.. LOL. My sone figured out the fridge lock in no time too.. Nothing short of a big strap that went all the way around the fridge would keep him out. icon_lol.gif I am glad that you were able to get it fixed and I assure you that you will laugh about this in a few days. ((hugs))

mommacakes Posted 5 May 2007 , 10:21pm
post #24 of 51

LOL!!!!!! The tabasco thing is funny! I love that idea! Of Course I would never do that but I remember my folks doing that too me for biting nails. I still bit my nails.

I can't believe your kids were throwing eggs !!!! I would have FLIPPED OUT!!!!!

I turned in the cake and the bride LOVED it so I am much more relieved now that it got delivered in one piece. It got so humid as the day went on and those strawberries were sweating like crazy ..........However, they still held on so that makes me happy!

The bride loved it and she was shocked that it was only my second cake. The monogram turned out to be a blessing in disguise...... whew!

Rosie_from_MD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie_from_MD Posted 5 May 2007 , 10:29pm
post #25 of 51

I'm soo sorry this happened to you. I have a 6yr old and a 4yr old. It w2on't help with this cake, but a trick I've used alot is..when I am making a cake for someone else I make up a little extra batter and bake an extra 6in round. I frost it like usual but I leave it on the counter. The big cake goes inthe fridge. When the kids get up they have a cake for them and never even look for the other one. It keeps them happy and keeps Mommy sane!!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 5 May 2007 , 10:29pm
post #26 of 51

I am glad that everything turned out ok in the end - but I do have to pipe in here with my tw cents. You said that he has gone after your last 3 cakes as well... my DS is 8 now and he learned a long time ago not to screw with mommy's cakes! And you know how he learned? I punished him hard after the first one. Each household is going to have their own idea of what exactly that punishment is, but cute or not if you don't make a big deal of this now, you will be dealing with it for a long time to come. icon_smile.gif

mommacakes Posted 5 May 2007 , 10:43pm
post #27 of 51

Oh trust me after the first one he did get punished big time....... but he is seriously my tyrant in the house! My other two boys were never like this. Anything we tell him goes in one ear out the other. He is 2 but still as many cakes as I make you would think he would know by now but he such a lil bugger! HE leaves em alone when I am working on them, I mean he does not step foot in the kitchen. However, the minute I turn my back he goes after it! He has gotten smacked on the hands and time outs and all that stuff but it is not working for him. I should have definatly made extra cake for him to delve into in the morning. I just realized that every since he got in a big boy bed that is when this all started with him getting into my last three cakes. Next time I have a big one I will just put in his playpen at night if I have to!!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

Oh well I just don't really know how well a 2 yr old will listen. My other two were really well behaved at this age. I guess not all two yr olds can be lil angels..... apparently my youngest has a lil devil and angel on his shoulders and he apparently does not listen to the angel icon_lol.gif

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 5 May 2007 , 10:52pm
post #28 of 51

" Oh well I just don't really know how well a 2 yr old will listen. My other two were really well behaved at this age."

I have told my daughters ( 3 of them), if the middle one had been born FIRST, there would not have been any sisters ..... icon_lol.gif ! I guess there is one in every family !

CakesbyMonica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyMonica Posted 5 May 2007 , 10:58pm
post #29 of 51

I'm sorry about your dilemma, I just made cake batter and it was sitting on the stove waiting for the oven to heat, and I came back to find MY two year old with her fingers in it. She had climbed on the counter. She had been "helping" so I didn't think anything of her being up there.
Isn't it amazing how different children are? I watch a little boy who is the same age as my daughter and it doesn't matter how many times you tell him not to, or what you do to him, as soon as you are out of the room, its free game. Obviously I don't let him out of my sight. My daughter is a perfect (hah!) angel. (compared to him at least).
Glad you could fix your cake. I'm just glad mine was for the family and they can deal with her cooties. icon_smile.gif

JavaJunkieChrissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JavaJunkieChrissy Posted 5 May 2007 , 11:04pm
post #30 of 51

I'm so glad that this worked out for you and that the bride loved the cake!!

I use to have a lock on my pantry....they boys were alot younger and got into the butter flavored Crison...because it had cookies on the front of the can and they thought they were eating cookie batter!!! YUCK icon_eek.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%