Crying!!!!! Need Help Fast !!!!! Two Year Old Got Into Cake!

Decorating By mommacakes Updated 8 May 2007 , 11:17pm by CakesbyMonica

ShayShay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShayShay Posted 5 May 2007 , 11:08pm
post #31 of 51

I am so glad everything turned out well with the cake. I have two boys (age 19 and 16) and i still have to tell them to stay out of the cake! Just remember this when he gets married and make him a cake with a big bite taken out of it and make sure everyone knows the story behind it! I know you will be laughing about this in a couple of days. Ahh, boys, never a dull moment. icon_lol.gif

They grow up so fast! icon_cry.gif

mommacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommacakes Posted 7 May 2007 , 3:07am
post #32 of 51

Shay Shay !!!!!!!!! LOVING that idea for when he gets married and put a big pretend chunk in it....... HAHHAA... I have been telling this story to so many friends because they know even though it is a small cake it was a 2days of work cake. SO most of them know the story and I can't wait to tell his future girlfriends what a little bugger he was!!!!!!

CherryBomb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CherryBomb Posted 7 May 2007 , 3:58am
post #33 of 51

I feel your pain! I fight the same battle with my daughter (also two). Just this afternoon, I was making a batch of MMF and when I turned around, she had stuck her hand in the powdered sugar on the counter and was licking it off. When I fussed at her and told her to keep her hands off the counter, she got down a licked the small amount that had been knocked on the kitchen floor. Doh!

starkissdtears Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starkissdtears Posted 7 May 2007 , 4:25am
post #34 of 51

I don't know if anyone has suggested this but I found these.

http://www.safehomeproducts.com/shp2/sf/child_safety_products.asp (just scroll down til you see it.)

http://www.kidsafeinc.com/-strse-2/child-safety-cabinet-lock%2C/Detail.bok

Also they have something like these things at Lowe's.

Santa_Kitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Santa_Kitchen Posted 7 May 2007 , 5:42am
post #35 of 51

These stories are not strange to me. Last April I made a Thomas theTank Engine cake for my son 4th birthday. I was making the dinner and suddenly my 14 month old take a corner of the tablecloth and pull ahead. In a second my cake was in the floor I was crying because my 4 yr old was so happy with his cake. But not everything was lost. Because I expect more people I made another cake in mountain form and we sang Happy Birthday.

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 7 May 2007 , 5:56am
post #36 of 51

I can relate to a 2yo. I have my grandson living with me. When he was two I had three wedding cakes going out in the same week. None of them went untouched. I was so tired of crying. Thankfully he got into the uniced parts of the first two. By the time I finished the third and he had not touched it I thought he had learned. But of course not. After deliverying the second cake I came home to him sitting under my table and a big chunk taken out of the cake. I yelled at his dad who was supposed to be watching him. Well that cake was fixed and delivered as fast as humanly possible. He still hides under the table when he knows he has done something wrong. I laugh but not in front of him. I will remember this for when he is older.

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 7 May 2007 , 6:07am
post #37 of 51

I'm happy you got this fixed and everything turned out ok. If it were me there is no way I would have given that cake and would have baked another one or ran up to the bakery to buy an uniced cake to use.

I can't believe how many stories there are of little kids getting into the cakes.

I do have two dogs but they have never gotten near enought to take a bite of the cakes I'm doing. I think they know they would be in so much trouble. icon_mad.gif

I do think that if anyone just fixes a cake that a dog or kid gets into they should be up front and tell the person who is getting the cake. That way they can cut around the spot of they don't want to eat there.

LadyMike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyMike Posted 7 May 2007 , 7:03am
post #38 of 51

When our two DD's were little, I had made a cake to take to work and left it on the counter so that i could just pick it up and go in the AM.

Our youngest DD came into our bedroom very, very early, and in a really dramatic fashion said, "Go ahead! Just whip me! I deserve it! I know you're going to hate me!"

Of course we immediately sat up in bed and after taking a quick look around in case the house was on fire or something like that, we asked her what she was talking about.

Again in dramatic fashion, "Mom's cake! I ruined it! Just beat me!" We just burst out in laughter!

First of all, neither of our children were ever beaten! And, I was just doing the cake out of the goodness of my heart - it wasn't like I was being paid for it or anything.

When we finally looked at the cake, she had stuck her finger in the icing at the bottom of the cake - very fixable. We think she knew that we would not be very happy with her, though, because she has Diabetes and she knew that cake WAS NOT on her diet.

She's 28 now and has children of her own. Guess what happened to our daughter's last birthday cake I made for her - her 2 year old DD ate about half of it before she got up! Of course since she has diabetes, it was only a 6 inch cake, but we all had to laugh!!!

Thanks for the memories!!! (You'll have them too.)

Glad everything worked out for the best - it usually does.

LadyMike icon_smile.gif

MissLady85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLady85 Posted 7 May 2007 , 7:40am
post #39 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by grama_j

" Oh well I just don't really know how well a 2 yr old will listen. My other two were really well behaved at this age."

I have told my daughters ( 3 of them), if the middle one had been born FIRST, there would not have been any sisters ..... icon_lol.gif ! I guess there is one in every family !

Well Aubrey (my dd) is 16 months old now and because of this one there wont be any brothers or sister!!!! EEEKKKK.... shes my tyrant.... she gets into everything...her favorite thing is the flat screen (we havnt hung it on the wall since were planning on moving in two months (thats gonna be horrible) and shes always touching and pulling! I really feel for you...

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 7 May 2007 , 12:36pm
post #40 of 51

Oh the things kids do, lol! Glad you were able to repair the damage.

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 7 May 2007 , 2:11pm
post #41 of 51

The door alarm is a good idea but I think I'd go for a hasp lock on top of the frig, where he can't see it or reach it.

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 7 May 2007 , 3:21pm
post #42 of 51

My littlest one got into a wedding cake once but luckily, it was before I iced it. It was one of the bottom layers and was sitting on the counter. I'd even had a diversion cake on the kitchen table and we were all in the kitchen when he did it. He just walked over nonchalantly and grabbed a big old hunk out of the side icon_eek.gif I went ahead and baked a new 15" cake but man, if it'd been the finished cake like what happened to you, I'd be so mad! Glad this turned out ok for you!

CakesbyMonica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyMonica Posted 8 May 2007 , 3:27am
post #43 of 51

My daughter took a swipe out of the side of my smooth crusting buttercream this morning!

robertascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robertascakes Posted 8 May 2007 , 4:01am
post #44 of 51

I own a wedding cake business and by state law must follow strict health guidelines, which of course, also means incurring additonal overhead. I, of course, cannot compete with home baker's pricing because of this extra expense, but hearing stories like these just reinforces WHY the health guidelines are so important. You are dealing with food that people will eat.....and you seriously just "patched" an area that you have no idea what touched it.....where his hands had been, etc. ???? I shudder to think what my health inspector would say if she heard about this. I'm still shaking my head....Sorry if this sounds "mean" but you need to take food safety MUCH more seriously.

theecakelady47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theecakelady47 Posted 8 May 2007 , 4:06am
post #45 of 51

I have had this happen only once, by my son-the oldest. My middle daughter saw how upset I was and NEVER touched a cake. And I guess they both warned my youngest daughter, because she never did it either. Now, I have a "bonus" daughter, and between them all, have six grandchildren who will never never go in the kitchen and touch a cake. I love when the kids are here, and tell their kids, dont touch grandmas cake or she will cut your arms off! (But they know they get the scraps and get to lick the bowl)

The cake was a haunted house I done for my sons scout troop. He was about 6 years old, and now is 28, but
he remembers.

Joolz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joolz Posted 8 May 2007 , 4:23am
post #46 of 51

thumbs_up.gif This lock is supposed to keep old people out too, maybe sleep walkers, ha ha. Anyways it is only $4.29 ( can we say business expense, tax write off, yes I love getting more money back) it is about half way down the page and is called KidCo On/Off Appliance Lock :

http://marketamerica.shop.com/op/sprod-0-v210281-~Childproof+Lock-k24-g1

Good luck keeping him out of the fridge. I have a 4 year old and a 1 year old so I too get nervous when I have cakes in the fridge.

icon_lol.gif When I turn the light to watch my cakes baking the 1 year old comes in the kitchen and opens her mouth and starts licking the glass on the oven. They kids are just as obsessed with cakes as we are and they just don't know how to show it without getting into trouble, bless their little hearts ha ha! icon_wink.gif Thought you might need another laugh. Take Care! icon_smile.gif

starkissdtears Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starkissdtears Posted 8 May 2007 , 5:15am
post #47 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertascakes

I own a wedding cake business and by state law must follow strict health guidelines, which of course, also means incurring additonal overhead. I, of course, cannot compete with home baker's pricing because of this extra expense, but hearing stories like these just reinforces WHY the health guidelines are so important. You are dealing with food that people will eat.....and you seriously just "patched" an area that you have no idea what touched it.....where his hands had been, etc. ???? I shudder to think what my health inspector would say if she heard about this. I'm still shaking my head....Sorry if this sounds "mean" but you need to take food safety MUCH more seriously.

robertascakes, from what I have read she didn't just stick icing on it and then give it to them like that. As long as she cut out around the area that was touched, then what's the big deal? JMO.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 8 May 2007 , 1:05pm
post #48 of 51

People not long ago (myself included) gave another poster a lot of grief for suggesting that she was going to cut out and "fix" a part of a cake a cat had gotten into - and think what you like, but pets have germs and little kids have germs too. I think it is horrible to have to deal with something like this, but I have to agree with robertascakes that don't see "fixing" something like this, IMHO.

thems_my_kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thems_my_kids Posted 8 May 2007 , 1:49pm
post #49 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

Put bells on your kids door.......sounds rediculous, but it'll alert you when he gets out of his room!!

I actually put one of those door knob covers on the *inside* of my 2 year old's door. Otherwise, he's be up early and waking my other two up. He just gets up and plays until someone lets him out! My kids can get up at 7am.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 8 May 2007 , 2:22pm
post #50 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by thems_my_kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

Put bells on your kids door.......sounds rediculous, but it'll alert you when he gets out of his room!!

I actually put one of those door knob covers on the *inside* of my 2 year old's door. Otherwise, he's be up early and waking my other two up. He just gets up and plays until someone lets him out! My kids can get up at 7am.

ok - I need more coffee . . .I read that as "put bell on your kids" . . . though - might NOT be a bad idea. . . lol

CakesbyMonica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyMonica Posted 8 May 2007 , 11:17pm
post #51 of 51

When we were kids I remember it was a rule that we weren't allowed to leave our room in the AM before I mom gave us permission, except to go to the bathroom. I don't know how she got us to do it, but she never spanked us and we begged the school NOT to call her and to give us the corporal punishment instead.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%