How Is The New Crisco For You?

Decorating By ibteana Updated 8 May 2007 , 5:20am by reesesob

ibteana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibteana Posted 4 May 2007 , 10:40pm
post #1 of 33

OK, I read a post that stated the new Crisco is a disaster waiting to happen with our frostings. Have you noticed a change? I have 3 cakes to make this weekend and I bought the new Crisco. Should I change to a store brand before starting my projects? Let me know how Crisco has worked for you and any problems you have had.Thank you!

32 replies
mommacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommacakes Posted 5 May 2007 , 10:33pm
post #2 of 33

There is new crisco???????? Hmmmm I did not notice anything new about it when I just made icing the other day. Seemed fine for me so far

ljhow623 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljhow623 Posted 6 May 2007 , 12:50am
post #3 of 33

I don't want to mess with the best so I went out and bought 8 6lb tubs of the "old" crisco. I was fortunate that the Sam's by me still has it in stock.

Can't help you on the diffence but I like the old stuff.

ladysonja Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladysonja Posted 6 May 2007 , 3:14am
post #4 of 33

Return your new Crisco if you have been using the old. I can tell you there is a difference.

You'll need to find the thread about the difference to read all the problems decorators are having with it.

Good luck if you keep the new!

rockii Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockii Posted 6 May 2007 , 3:25am
post #5 of 33

i picked some of the new up by mistake and took it right back. I did not even want to mess with it.

bostonterrierlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bostonterrierlady Posted 6 May 2007 , 3:26am
post #6 of 33

I kind of got the idea that eventually all brands even the store brands will eventually change too. Trans fats are trying to be eliminated in most everything. I think we will just have to adapt recipes.

reesesob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reesesob Posted 6 May 2007 , 3:33am
post #7 of 33

it's too thin! My BC fell off my cake! I'm thinking about going to a store brand

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 6 May 2007 , 3:40am
post #8 of 33

I hate it!!! It's impossible to smooth your icing out in a timely manner and then I can't get in nearly as smooth as the old crisco did.

Melody25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melody25 Posted 6 May 2007 , 3:45am
post #9 of 33

I went to a store brand.... The new crisco doesnt crust and it ices horribly! I just did a b-day cake I was really happy with my transfer I did but the frosting part looked horrible!

I just did my first Cupcake Cake tonight with a store brand and it crusted beautifully!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 6 May 2007 , 3:46am
post #10 of 33

I stopped using Crisco awhile ago due to the bad aftertaste. I only use storebrand now. If the icing is too soft, just use less milk or liquid. I don't even measure my liquid anymore.... I dump some in and make it creamier or stiffer depending on what I need.

flavacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flavacakes Posted 6 May 2007 , 3:46am
post #11 of 33

I HATE it!!! icon_mad.gif I'm telling ya, high ratio is the way to go. I couldn't believe what a difference it makes!

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 6 May 2007 , 3:48am
post #12 of 33

I noticed my icing doesn't crust anymore either. It just stays really soft. I couldn't tell a difference in the taste. I have heard you can add meringue powder to the buttercream for stability. Does it change the flavor and where can I find the recipe?

bostonterrierlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bostonterrierlady Posted 6 May 2007 , 3:53am
post #13 of 33

Will they change the high ratio too down the road?

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 6 May 2007 , 3:57am
post #14 of 33

I'm not sure I understand how taking away transfat makes icing not crust? I just thought it was because the liquid ratio is such that the top dries out quickly because there is alot of powdered sugar. For instance a non crusting recipe I have, still uses the same kind of shortening and butter but more liquid and butter and less powdered sugar.

I have been using some shortening that seems rather soft...however I just watch my icing consistency and adjust my liquid (actually I use more milk than the recipe calls for usually, for icing with) and the icing turns out fine and still crusts. The only time it might stay soft is if the cake is frozen or cold and then the icing will not crust until the cake is completely at room temp.

MsRhonda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsRhonda Posted 6 May 2007 , 6:08am
post #15 of 33

I'm gonna have to go and experiment with some different brands, the Crisco just doesn't work for me anymore!

vicky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicky Posted 6 May 2007 , 1:52pm
post #16 of 33

I have been reading a lot of sites on this and heard all bad about the new Crisco. I have written to them to ask to have a "baker's grade" Crisco. If everyone writes to them, perhaps they will do so. I have even read that the roses made with the new Crisco causes liquid to pool on the roses. Yuck!! The new Crisco has more liquid in it I think. I'm not taking any chances and will switch to Alpine. Why can't they leave well enough alone......
Vicky, MO

ruralepicure Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruralepicure Posted 6 May 2007 , 2:17pm
post #17 of 33

Brace yourselves...I really LIKE the new Crisco!! I've had a chance to play around with it quite a bit now. I was actually just at the store yesterday buying all of the ingredients I need for this week and they had a mixture of the "new" and the "old". I had picked up a container of the "old" and put it back to grab the new. I do have air bubbles but I beat the heck out of it and then I cut through it with a rubber spatula and I really like how it turns out. I've gotten a ton more comments on my frosting since the new came about.

Is that a tomato I see being thrown my way?? icon_smile.gif

reesesob Posted 6 May 2007 , 2:23pm
post #18 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruralepicure

Brace yourselves...I really LIKE the new Crisco!! I've had a chance to play around with it quite a bit now. I was actually just at the store yesterday buying all of the ingredients I need for this week and they had a mixture of the "new" and the "old". I had picked up a container of the "old" and put it back to grab the new. I do have air bubbles but I beat the heck out of it and then I cut through it with a rubber spatula and I really like how it turns out. I've gotten a ton more comments on my frosting since the new came about.

Is that a tomato I see being thrown my way?? icon_smile.gif

What recipe do you use? Did you have to adjust it in any way? I'm not getting the air bubbles anymore because I do the same as you... beat the heck out of it then take it down with the spatula. BUT my problem is that it's SO thin and hard to use... like it's melting. Should I cut the amount of crisco I am using?
1 1/2 C Crisco, 1 stick of butter, vanilla, almond, 2 LBS powdered sugar, 1/4-1/3 of water

I'm not a fan of change!!! LOL

ruralepicure Posted 6 May 2007 , 2:42pm
post #19 of 33

reesesob - I haven't changed my recipe from what it was before.

1 stick (1 cup) Crisco
2 sticks (1 cup) softened butter
vanilla - I just pour until my hearts content icon_smile.gif
2 lb powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk

It still crusts, too. I just used this Thursday night on 5 cakes. When I have a few cakes to do at a time, I have an assembly line. I crumb coat all of the cakes and then I do the final coat and then come back to do all of my final touches. By the time it gets to that, they have all crusted nicely.

Good luck!!

reesesob Posted 6 May 2007 , 3:59pm
post #20 of 33

I wonder if you don't see a difference because you are using the sticks...
Do you think that could be possible?

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 6 May 2007 , 4:01pm
post #21 of 33

ive used the sticks and the icing is stillsoft

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 6 May 2007 , 4:11pm
post #22 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky

I have been reading a lot of sites on this and heard all bad about the new Crisco. I have written to them to ask to have a "baker's grade" Crisco. If everyone writes to them, perhaps they will do so. I have even read that the roses made with the new Crisco causes liquid to pool on the roses. Yuck!! The new Crisco has more liquid in it I think. I'm not taking any chances and will switch to Alpine. Why can't they leave well enough alone......
Vicky, MO

Several have emailed Crisco about the problem and have received phone calls. One of the girls on another thread said that the company spokesperson she talked to said there is no way they will go back to using trans fat. The Crisco will remain the same so we will just have to figure out a recipe, I guess. I have not had to use it yet but from the horror stories I have read on here, I'm sure it won't be a picnic.

I had a young girl at my yard sale this weekend who bought some of my extra cake decorating equipment and she was telling me about the problems she is having with her icing. I asked if she used the Wilton Buttercream recipe and she did. Told her to go home and look at her can of Crisco and see if it had trans fat. I'd bet $100 that it was the new from the stories she was telling me.

Diane

ruralepicure Posted 6 May 2007 , 4:20pm
post #23 of 33

The sticks have been changed as well. I know they are a little more expensive but it's worth it to not have to wash the measuring tools!!

vicky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicky Posted 6 May 2007 , 7:30pm
post #24 of 33

ruralepicure, What result does milk have using it instead of using water? Is it for taste? I haven't tried it, I've always used water. I may try it. Thanks. Vicky, MO

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 6 May 2007 , 7:41pm
post #25 of 33

The only thing I can say is thank goodness for darkened wedding reception rooms!! I had a heck of a time with the wedding cake I did this weekend! I smoothed, resmoothed, scraped icing off and started over so many times I can't count. thumbsdown.gif

Morphogirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Morphogirl Posted 6 May 2007 , 7:51pm
post #26 of 33

I started to use the no trans fat sticks during level 2 of my Wilton classes and my wilton buttercream was too soft. Frustrated, I went back to the old Crisco and of course had much better results. Unfortunately I got so excited about someone telling me about the new Crisco in class that I bought 4 packages (4 sticks each) and since then have been using them up by using less water and it's been fine. I wasn't planning on ever purchasing them again.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 May 2007 , 8:38pm
post #27 of 33

Sorry, but I'm one who has zero problems with the new crisco. From what I've seen, I use way less fat to sugar ratio than most (1-1/3 cups crisco to 2 lbs p.sugar). I use milk, not water. I've seen some recipes that had so much fat (shortening and/or butter) that I'm not a bit surprised it was sliding off the cake.

Good crusting, roses shape well and hold their shape. Heck, I spent all last month making 7 or 8 display cakes and the icing turned concrete hard on my styrofoams! Definitely no crusting problems there! thumbs_up.gif

I've had lots of people ask me what I do different. The only thing I can think of is that I'm a "until it looks right" cook. I rarely measure anything. (after 25 years, my eyeballs are my best measuring cup.) So if the new crisco has more liquid, then as I add my milk, I'm only using enough "until it looks right", rather than premeasuring the amount and throwing it in. No idea if this is it or not, it's just a thought.

so.....where do I stand to be a tomato-target? icon_confused.gificon_lol.gif

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 6 May 2007 , 8:43pm
post #28 of 33

If I had heard that night before last as I spent the evening trying to smooth the wedding cake I would have already pelted you with a tomato by now!!!! icon_lol.gif

I have had time to cool off now so maybe I will just try it your way next time and save the tomato for later icon_twisted.gif

reesesob Posted 6 May 2007 , 8:48pm
post #29 of 33

ok, so for my next cake on Tues... I will use 1 cup crisco and 1 stick of butter w/ 2lbs PS. Let's cross our fingers

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 May 2007 , 8:56pm
post #30 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTODECORATING

If I had heard that night before last as I spent the evening trying to smooth the wedding cake I would have already pelted you with a tomato by now!!!! icon_lol.gif

Good think I just LUV tomatoes, then huh? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%