Why Am I Afraid To Use Gumpaste?

Decorating By MikkelPaige Updated 8 May 2007 , 12:06am by MikkelPaige

MikkelPaige Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikkelPaige Posted 3 May 2007 , 7:16pm
post #1 of 23

I must face my "procrastinating" tonight and use gumpaste to make a shovel for a sand pail cake I've been working on.

Whenever I've thought of doing gumpaste however I just put it off! Why is that? I feel that maybe it's because of all the flowers and things everyone makes with it - perhaps I think it's more time consuming than fondant?

What's everyone's feeling on this? AND - how does everyone make their gumpaste? I bought the Wilton powder mix that you simply add water to (I think that's it...I'm at work at the moment so I can't look to double check) but I see there's a recipe for it on CC too.

I know that gumpaste dries more completely than fondant does and there are a number of pros and cons to each...

I will face my fears tonight! Da-daaa-dummm!!! icon_evil.gif

22 replies
nutcase68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nutcase68 Posted 3 May 2007 , 7:36pm
post #2 of 23

I only made it once so far and I just followed the directions on the gumpaste can. Very easy to make and a lot cheaper than buying it.
mary icon_smile.gif

MikkelPaige Posted 3 May 2007 , 7:39pm
post #3 of 23

I'm confused -
So did you make it or buy it or you've tried both and both are easy but it's cheaper to make yourself?

janbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janbabe Posted 3 May 2007 , 7:59pm
post #4 of 23

I always buy mine, it comes in a powder form and I mix water with it, just follow the instrucitions and knead it really well.
Flower paste is so easy to work with as it is stronger than fondant, it can stretch with out breaking and can be rolled really thin and still not break. In fact the thinner it is the easier it is to work with - so just give it a go, I'm sure you'll do fine! icon_biggrin.gif
cheers
Jan

schildwaster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schildwaster Posted 3 May 2007 , 8:09pm
post #5 of 23

if you work with fondant you can work with gumpaste. It dries out faster so keep the portion you want to use under a glass until you need it. its a little harder to knead at first but once its warmed up its good to go. good luck.

karensue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensue Posted 3 May 2007 , 8:10pm
post #6 of 23

I would rather work with gumpaste than fondant. You can roll it thinner, it doesn't break as easy, and it dries faster, but you still have time to work with it. If you cover it with plastic wrap, it'll stay pliable. I buy the SatinIce gumpaste and think it's worth every penny.

Karen

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 3 May 2007 , 8:16pm
post #7 of 23

OOO icon_surprised.gif I am soo glad you posted this!!! Thanks! I have to make gumpaste headphones tonight! aaggg! i have been procrastinating too! (and having a crazy workload for the end of my semester)
thumbs_up.gif

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 3 May 2007 , 8:18pm
post #8 of 23

Hi Mikkelpaige,

I'm just learning gumpaste (self-teaching) and have been trying different recipes to see what works best for my limited talents. I have tried Nick Lodge's recipe, CK powdered that you just add water to and a recipe I found In Lesley Herbert's book on Sugar Flowers. So far the Lesley Herbert recipe has worked better for me. I'm at work now so I don't have access to the recipe at the moment . However, it calls for both Gum Tragacanth and Tylose which you may or may not have access to.

It may already be posted in the recipes section of this site, I'm not sure what the rules are on posting a recipe from someone's book. Maybe another member can enlighten me so I don't do something wrong??? icon_redface.gif

MikkelPaige Posted 3 May 2007 , 9:06pm
post #9 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by step0nmi

OOO icon_surprised.gif I am soo glad you posted this!!! Thanks! I have to make gumpaste headphones tonight! aaggg! i have been procrastinating too! (and having a crazy workload for the end of my semester)
thumbs_up.gif

I'm so glad this was of use to someone else! I understand balancing work with hobbies/extra money. I graduated in Dec. '05!

Good luck!

MikkelPaige Posted 3 May 2007 , 9:08pm
post #10 of 23

ladij153:

I'm interested in knowing what that recipe is if you have a chance to post it - there's only one gumpaste recipe on CC.

What is the...hmm....can't remember - not tylose, the other ingredient. Where do you find it? I think Joann's carries tylose.

I'm going home to Manhattan this weekend and I'm visiting a huge cake supply store on 20th street so I am thinking they'd have it for sure!

Rosie_from_MD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie_from_MD Posted 3 May 2007 , 11:42pm
post #11 of 23

I tried the wilton gumpaste for an Easter cake that I did. I was so surprised at how easy it was to work with. I was having so much fun, that my DH came into the kitchen to make sure I was ok.(i usually get very frustrated when I decorate) The only thing I can think of to tell you would be that the can says you can keep the leftover for like 2 weeks and mine has been in the fridge since easter and is still okay.

MikkelPaige Posted 4 May 2007 , 7:42pm
post #12 of 23

So I tried the gumpaste powder mix Wilton makes...this morning...and it calls for 1/3 cup of confectioner's sugar. Well, I DEFINITELY had to add more than that, significantly more, for it to not be "sticky". And then I rolled it out thinly and wanted to make a shovel for my sandpail cake (see below) but it didn't dry nearly as quick as anticipated.

Has anyone else had a problem with the powder mix? Please help! I have to make more gumpaste "props" for a cake on Sunday and would love some helpful hints/suggestions.

Also, how long does it take to dry? Does it get rock hard?
LL

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 May 2007 , 7:58pm
post #13 of 23

Humidity is a *major* factor in the drying of gumpaste. Even the least bit of humidity will slow/stall the drying. Being as you are located in FL I bet that was your problem.
Until you really know what gumpaste is suppose to be like/how it should feel you cannot appreciate the different recipes. I have tried Wilton's, CK's Nic Lodge's and a few others. Nic wins my vote hands down.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 May 2007 , 7:59pm
post #14 of 23

Oh BTW: Wilton's 'gumpaste' really isn't gumpaste icon_sad.gif It is more pastillage. It doesn't have the stretch real gumpaste should have.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 4 May 2007 , 8:00pm
post #15 of 23

I love your cake! That is so adorable!!

Anyway, I've only used ready-made gumpaste - Wilton's. I did buy Beckle's but haven't tried it yet. I bought it because I remember reading in one of Colette Peter's books that that was her brand of choice for gp.

With the pre-made it dries very quickly (like others have already mentioned). I'd say within an hour it's pretty dry (depending on the humidity factor in your area), but it still needs to set for longer so that you are sure it's dried all the way through on the inside. The thinner you make it, the quicker it dries.

I realize you need this rather quickly, but when you have some free time try experimenting with different recipes and some of the pre-made brands to see which works best for you.

Good luck.

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 4 May 2007 , 8:01pm
post #16 of 23

I use both fondant and fondant mixed with gumpaste powder. I don't know why I had that same fear of gumpaste. I took it upon myself to knead the instant gumpaste powder into some fondant. I made roses for a cupcake wedding structure. I was able to roll the petals out pretty thin and it wasn't imperative for me to work super quickly because of the petals drying too quickly.

I was trying to attach a pic of the rose cupcakes but my monkey paws can't figure it out icon_lol.gif . Anyway, you can see the flowers in my pics if you want to. icon_redface.gif

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 4 May 2007 , 8:08pm
post #17 of 23

MikkelPaige,
Do you mean CMC or gum tragacanth?

rajinaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rajinaren Posted 4 May 2007 , 8:21pm
post #18 of 23

is gumpaste edible. somebody told me its not edible and should not even touch the cake.Thats why i use fondant. somebody clear my doubt please.

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 4 May 2007 , 9:29pm
post #19 of 23

It is edible, but not tasty.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 4 May 2007 , 9:36pm
post #20 of 23

I tried gumpaste last night and I DID NOT LIKE IT! The moment I added any color to it it became soo sticky and I felt like I couldn't get it back to it's original consistency. I was trying to use it to make the thin cords for the headphones but it just kept boinging(springing) back into place! I didn't like it and I couldn't get it to roll thin enough. I added some sugar and used the crisco like always but, it just didn't work. I went out and bought fondant today. I like that better. icon_sad.gif

CakesbyMonica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyMonica Posted 4 May 2007 , 9:47pm
post #21 of 23

It was advised I use gumpaste for a current project, my iffyness comes from needing it to be black. Tuxedo/midnight black. I have gumtex, but have never used gumpaste before. I will be using black fondant for other parts. What is gumtex? Is it the same as the instant gumpaste you speak of? Can I dye that black enough? Can I mix it with fondant?

They will be medium sized flat pieces stuck into the side of a cake. (like arms, but not) any gumpaste advice?

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 5 May 2007 , 12:59am
post #22 of 23

I understand what you are saying, and I am that way about trying something new too. It took me years to decide to try rolled fondant because I was intimidated by it. Now it's like an old friend, gumpaste will be the same for you. It takes having a good paste, whether that is a mix or hand made at home is up to you, experiment until you find one you like that works well for you. I use Nic Lodge's Tylose recipe and have good results with it, it can be rolled quite thin without tearing and dries quickly. It is fragile when dry so be careful how you handle flowers or you can shatter a petal.
http://www.nicholaslodge.com/gumpaste.htm

MikkelPaige Posted 8 May 2007 , 12:06am
post #23 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omicake

MikkelPaige,
Do you mean CMC or gum tragacanth?

The tragecanth. But I found it at a store in NYC this weekend! I bought 4 oz. for $12.99 just to have in case I need to dry something quickly. The woman at the store said that it's good to have because it's hard to find and a little bit is all you usually need.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%