Filling

Baking By 2cakes Updated 7 May 2005 , 4:17am by 2cakes

2cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2cakes Posted 6 May 2005 , 1:05pm
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone! I don't know what happened with this recipe that I used as a filling for my yellow cake. I can post the recipe and maybe someone can tell me what/or where I went wrong on. The cake came out great, except that in the ingredients it called for 2 tablespoons of grated lemon zest, but in the directions it does not say when to put it in, so I just assume to mix it in with the batter, which I did. The other problem which was more of my concern than the cake recipe, cause the cake came out great, it was just the Mocha Cream Filling that taste wise and density did not come out as well as expected. So what I did last night since the process of this cream filling was already made, I had to add two more tablespoons of instant coffee powder and two more tablespoons of boiling water and two more tablespoons of white sugar to give it a more mocha taste and a little sweetness to it. But the problem that I encountered was that the cream filling became a little liquidified while on the first layer of the cake so what I had to do was to put homemade chocolate frosting on the edges of the cake so that it would not continue to drip down the sides of the cake. It helped a little, but I had to put cake in the frige to harden the chocote frosting. I put fresh strawberries in the center of the cake, which were clean and paper towel dry prior to putting on cake. I then icing the entire cake with the chocolate frosting cause I did not want to take a chance with messing up the entire cake on top and rest of sides. I put rest of strawberries on top prior to putting cake in frige uncovered, but will cover today prior to giving the cake away today. I hope that the receiver likes it, but I am kind of embarresed and reluctant to give this cake away cause I'm not happy with it. Maybe I'll just have to make another one and use strawberry filling and chocolate icing on top center and top layer and top it off with fresh strawberries. icon_redface.gif

Here are the recipes below:

Recipes Home :: Submit a Recipe :: Request A Recipe :: Search
Most read :: Top Rated
Measurament conversion

Recipes CakeCentral.com Mocha Cream Recipes

A tasty coffee flavored whipped cream perfect for fillings and/or frostings.

CakeCentral.com Recipes
[ Go Back ]

Printer Friendly Version | Email This Recipe | Remove From Recipe Box
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mocha Cream

Serves/Yields: 4 cups. (16 servings)
Prep. Time:
Cook Time:
Category: Fillings, Frostings
Difficulty: easy

Introduction

A tasty coffee flavored whipped cream perfect for fillings and/or frostings.

Ingredients

2 cups heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 tablespoon instant coffee powder
1 tablespoon boiling water

Directions

Beat whipping cream and sugar together in mixing bowl until stiff. Dissolve coffee granules in boiling water. Cool. Add to whipped cream and beat in. Makes enough to frost and fill one 8 or 9 inch 2 layer cake. Keep Mocha Cream refrigerated.

Source: Carol
Contributed by: on Monday, April 26. 2004 at 16:31:47

One - Two - Three - Four Cake I

Serves/Yields: 2 - 8 or 9 inch layer cakes. (24 servings)
Prep. Time:
Cook Time:
Category: Pound Cakes, Yellow Cakes
Difficulty: easy

I have altered my mother's recipe and added my own to this and I find it is better than hers especially since I replace the milk with yogurt. Now I mostly replace milk with yogurt in my other recipes and this gives a better texture. My husband says it tastes similar to pound cake which he loves so much and I don't put icing, although you can if you wish.

1 cup butter
2 cups white sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour
4 eggs
1 cup plain yogurt
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons grated lemon zest

1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 8 or 9 inch layer pans or one 9 or 10 inch kugelhopf pan.

2 Cream butter, add sugar and blend, beat in the eggs.

3 Sift the cream of tartar and baking soda with the flour twice before adding it to the creamed mixture alternately with the milk and vanilla. (Put in a cup of raisins or walnuts if you wish - it is really great). Pour batter into prepared pan(s).

4 Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes in the layer pans or 45 minutes in the kugelhopf pan,

Source: Carol
Contributed by: on Wednesday, May 05. 2004 at 10:49:10

2 replies
Mchelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mchelle Posted 6 May 2005 , 2:17pm
post #2 of 3

I am sure that it's the whipping cream and too much liquid. Whipping cream is very finachy, too much liquid and it will turn to a runny mess.

2cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2cakes Posted 7 May 2005 , 4:17am
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchelle

I am sure that it's the whipping cream and too much liquid. Whipping cream is very finachy, too much liquid and it will turn to a runny mess.

I agree with you, but what should I have done differently to this recipe. Cause I have made many strawberry short cakes and never had a problem with the whipping cream, as a matter of fact, I am going to be making one for Mother's Day, except that I will not be using the Mocha Icing recipe, cause I have one solely for the shortcakes and it always comes out perfect. I have gotten so many request to make it over and over again. Like you said, too much liquid. I try to follow the recipe, but did not work out this time. I'll have to come up with a Mocha Icing recipe and play around with different ingredients until I come up with a good match and after successfully and have some test tasters, then I will post the recipe. It was a gift and I end up giving it to the recipent today as is. icon_redface.gificon_cry.gif , but I did suggest that if the recipent did not like it, I would make a different type of filling same cake, but different filling and the recipent decided not to have me go through the trouble of making another cake. I live and learn, not to make a cake, filling, icing unless I have tried it and received good reviews on a cake. That is just my opinion, but I thank you so very much for your reply and cannot agree with you any more. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%